What do you use for programming?
What do you use for documents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FtieBc3KptU
github.com/lifepillar/vim-mucomplete
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Used to do visual studio on windows, now I just use vim

I currently use emacs with evil, but I think i'm going to move back to just vim. I don't really use emacs as it's intended purpose(everything in one program), but as just an extended vim text editor.
Especially since vim has support for writing plugins in different scripting languages rather than just vimscript.

Pycharm

I switched from vim to emacs for org mode and auctex.
I installed spacemacs because I dont want to bother with customization for now and it mostly just works.
To be honest org mode is pretty amazing when it comes to the amount of features it has.
I really hate emacs autistic navigation, vim definitely does this better and I still use vim for some quick changes to config files.

Kakoune

Sublime text 3
Microsoft Word 2010

Chronologically
Atom to vimeme to spacefags to redit and settled with sublame text
I've been using gnoolinx for only a year though and before that notelad++ on windas 7

Spacemacs
I use it for LaTeX, Python, IRC and org-mode.
Comfy

I like the cool nicknames you used thats pretty badass.

I started Python with that, pretty comfy desu

Ed is the standard text editor.

GNU nano

nano

Brackets.

> documents
Sam
> programming
Acme

I just use the IDE of whatever I'm working on, arduino, codeblocks for c++, etc .

Nano

Everyone at work uses this accept me and one other guy. I don't see the appeal. I have watched all of my coworkers spend a lot of time configuring its features, integrating nose, integrating db etc. Seems so much easier to just use tmux and vim.

Is it worth learning Emacs if you don't code?

Unlike most of the autists here, I won't blame you for using something I don't use. Pycharm is neat to use with Python but you need to install and configure it. If you like minimalist stuff and something-that-werks, just go for vim.

In the end, it's what make you produce quality code that matters.

I'm wondering the same, except that I do actually write some code.
Currently using vim, but want to try out something else

Yeah. Emacs has a lot of uses for people who don't program.
Here's a guy sharing his experience.
youtu.be/FtieBc3KptU

Thanks, I'll try out emacs.

Yeah I was thinking about this after I posted it. I came from a DevOps role and have a sysadmin background so Vim/Tmux/psql are all very familiar for me. Its only faster because I already learned it. My boss who was a windows developer for 10 years prior would probably loose way more time figuring his way around a *nix development env then setting up pycharm.

>accept

I'm gonna install spacemacs desu. I know it's bloat but somehow I can't find in myself the autism to manually rice an emacs install, and spacemacs sounds like it basically does everything I want. I've spent enough time configuring vim that I feel like using something that just werks right now.

Once I learn the ins and outs of emacs I might just get rid of spacemacs and start from a clean install, but not now.

I use emacs for almost everything except JAVA and shit that has fully featured IDEs that are just no worth recreating in emacs. Android Studio is hard to beat and I have to use it daily.

word/libreoffice for quick throwaway docs
vim for programming/latex

Who else brainlet here?
I really love using vim but I can't get YouCompleteMe working, so I just use vs code with vim keybinds.

>YouCompleteMe
I finally figured it out with a big C project I had to do for uni. Just figure out how to edit that ycm_extra_conf.py file. It's not that bad if you spend some time thinking about it.

I got it working once somehow and then just copied the configs over to everything.

Pycharm debugger is very comfy

What's YouCompleteMe?

Vim for comfy scripts and small projects.
Codeblocks for big projects.

vim

The kind of completion Sublime Text has OOTB.

>What do you use for programming?
Vim
>What do you use for documents?
TeXmacs

Knowing how the emacs way of doing things can fit into making LaTeX documents was mindblowing.

>prpgramming
JuffEd
>documents (plain text or markdown)
JuffEd

Best Qt editor I've seen so far and it's got a lot of plugins. Lightweight too, runs well on my puny little netbook. It's like Atom, VSCode spare Electron.

Code Writer for UWP/Win10.
Comfy, stable, great features, juhujsstt weeeerrks.

Eclipse is best editor for high-levels like Py and Java. Prove me wrong.
>fast run
>built-in compiler to compile most any code
>can be modified to run any language if you know what you're doing
>a very nice file manager window to easily comprehend the structure of larger files
>a very simple test editor with many useful advanced features
>multiple different windows to suit any and all needs
>universally operable between all OS's
>open source and free, rolling updates, names are rad (oxygen, jupiter, etc)
>etc.
I cannot shill this thing enough, its so fucking good desu.

Why does YCM fall right over when editing slightly larger files, when editors like Sublime carry on just fine? Is there an autocompletion/improved highlighting plugin that doesn't suck fucking balls?
Something taking advantage of proper async support in neovim would be pretty nice too

Neovim for anything programming, except for HTML docs. For that and that alone I use Atom. Got a million plugins for Vim but none can rival Atom's built-in support for properly handling fucking tag matching ffs.
Emacs for Lisp and as a Haskell scratch space for the built-in GHC interpretrer.
TeXstudio for LaTeX because I can't be bothered to set up Vim for it.
Kate and/or Atom as scratchpad and for small text files I want to keep local.
Botnet Drive for anything Office-related.

It is a bit shit, yeah. Plus, it makes Vim crash 1 out of 3 times. I had to disable YCM altogether just for PHP because otherwise it won't even let me write two statements in a row without coredumping like a motherfucker.

>hosted on sourceforge
>uses svn for scm
>mfw

Why bother with tmux at all. If you're developing locally, just use i3 and Vim.

Emacs keybinding is ingrained in me. Mostly used Intellij for most of my development at work but I've always been experimenting with Emacs for other tasks: quick text editing, aws management, rest client tool, etc.
Also I wish people would stop recommending remapping Caps Lock to CTRL, it's still a fucking sub optimal layout. CTRL should be the closest to the space bar like it is on the space cadet keyboard, it makes all the keybindings so much better.

Are buffers, tabs, splits, etc build into vim and plugins like nerdtree and ctrl+p somehow not sufficient?

nvim and i hate that i now try to type with vim keybinds in any window even if it doesn't have vim keybinds. eg: editing PDFS, sql server, etc. but nvim is great

Having all terminals for whatever context grouped together on one page or tmux session is nice. And if you're a clumsy retard like me, it saves your ass when you accidentally close a terminal.

Yup. Vim in tmux in i3 is a top-tier environment.

neovim

vim 4lyfe
:x

Sublime Text's completion is written in something other than VimScript by a man for whom Sublime Text is the main source of income.

Lol, vimeme. Idk why people don't like using vim. It's lightweight and powerful. It's fucking minimalist. Why the hate? I can't stand it when peeps tell me nano or emacs is better.

Btw ed is a stream editor, unlike vi and emacs, which are text editors.

You said it best, brother.

:wq!

Notepad ++ godrace mastertier reportan

vs for programming
notepad++ for generic txt files and quick editing of scripts
word for actual documents

Vim/muPDF for LaTeX is super comfy, also vim-orgmode.

Honestly no reason to ever use Emacs.

>Got a million plugins for Vim but none can rival.......

Top kek

>It's lightweight and powerful. It's fucking minimalist. Why the hate?

Most users don't use it that way. They morph it into something it's not supposed to be. See top kek above.

Have you tried vim-easytags? Works pretty well for me. Adds syntax highlighting, too.

I started with vi because the name was cool, but it made me want to kms when pressing k capitalized all my H’s so I switched to emacs and am now happy because because I created an emcas function in my bashrc so even when I mistype it still opens.

This is something I'm looking into.

I've always done most of my dev work over SSH, which means vim pretty much wins by default. I do want to try some of the popular IDEs but it means fucking around filesystems or trying to sync over sftp.

Is there anyone that works like this and has a tolerable solution?

YCM is a hassle, try MUcomplete
github.com/lifepillar/vim-mucomplete

I like it when I'm working on a relatively bigger project, but other wise I just spawn some extra tabs/terminals and use vim. Vim is enough for what I want to do most of the time.

I knew one guy who used (boku no) pico. How is that editor different to nano?

Used vim for 5 years to code in python, haskell and C++. Then wanted to install some cool LaTeX plugins but it was a pain in the ass to get it working so I switched to emacs, currently my 3rd year using it.
Only downside is that sometimes my pinky gets stiff from pressing Ctrl a lot to move the cursor.

Emacs TRAMP

I was a 5 year vim user until a friend introduced me to the Church of Emacs and now I praise Saint Ignucius, but I'm still a little evil.

Just use evil-mode, there's no reason to relearn how to edit when you've adapted for 5 years with the vim's modal editing. Also, learn to use both control keys as well as palm pressnig, those are game changers.

Has anyone used vim + taskwarrior vs emacs + org mode? I really like the idea of having my text editor/IDE also able to let me set quick lists/schedules that I can sync.

Text files: Notepad2 on Windows. Haven't found anything good on Linux yet.
Documents: LibreOffice.
Rust programming: VS Code.
.NET programming: Visual Studio on Windows. MonoDevelop or Rider on Linux, but they're both shit.

VScode for most things. Vim for small one-off things

I find the pluma editor (gedit from GNOME 2, now MATE) pretty good for text files on Linux.

when working on remote machines emacs has a massive advntage of the trump mode. So you basically get to use your own local emacs installation to edit shit on other computers unlike vi where you either copy your plugins and config or just swallow the pill and get away with the out of the box version.

Nah intellij rapes it. Eclipse is slow as fuck