Say you bring a 1080ti to 1991 and give it to a random computer scientist

Say you bring a 1080ti to 1991 and give it to a random computer scientist.

1. Would they be able to interface it with ANYTHING at all?
2. Could they make sense of it at all?

Asking for a time traveling friend

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_µPD7220
twitter.com/AnonBabble

well assuming he has a functional computer with all the jazz, he probably could use it with cuda (assuming he could also port it to c89) and do some fancy shit

i don't really see any other use for it, most gaym libraries/APIs are very recent

Make sense of it? Yes, but they'd be baffled at how advanced the tech is
Interface? If PCIe wasn't invented then, then probably not and even if they did bus speeds back then were woefully abysmal compared to what we have now so it would severely bottlenecked by everything.
In addition no drivers for it so good luck running anything, and afaik Nvidia didn't even exist back then.

Just taking the card and putting it straight in. So it just werks... No.

Making a machine especially made to work with the card I think so.

Humans are very good at reverse eng.

So you think they would be able to pull off the interfacing part?

>"What's a USB port, user?"

PCI was created 1992 user. Since you were planing to go 1991 I guess you made it and based on your card PCI was created and later PCIe

It would probably look like something out of Star Trek to them.

I like how all the men are white and all the women are asian.

Wait so ... who invented the first?

Well Graphic Processing Chips existed the 70's.

The first card that I would call a GPU was made 1982 and was this thing. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_µPD7220

So if you bring a modern GPU you will be blowing their mind with its power and what not but they will know what it is.

Still it will be bottlenecked but everything but they will make it work

bringing them todays SSD technology would help the world more

>they will make it work
Even without drivers and on DOS?

First windows was released 1985

Yeah, an a program running on MS-DOS. Not as an actual OS. That came with NT in 1993 and then in 95 with Windows 95.

im more interested to know whether or not they would be able to reverse enginner it.

Probably not if you mean actually reconstruct it. The development process for that sort of high end chips is years away at that point. Not even conceivable.

Just have him bring a pci to pcie adapter.
also with that he can mine all of the bitcoins
>lol what if this is why the bitcoin difficulty started growing exponentially out of nowhere
also tell him to take back the circuit schematics for pcie chips, adapters, usb 3.1, sata III, ide to sata adapters, and display port, aswell as samples of modern high capacity drives including the brochures explaining the whole "this shit is filled with helium" thing so he knows what to expect when opening it.

not necessarily be able to recreate, but to "crack it open" in a sense, and work out whats going on, so that they could learn something from it.

Idk they had microscopes so probably. Would probably baffle them for years though.

A computer scientist? No.

They will probably ask you how you got it in the first place, and whether you are a time traveller.

>This? Uh, found it under my sink one day. No idea how it got there.