How the Fuck have I figured this out and Apple hasn't?

Thanks to Apple's fuckery the fucking 2017 iPads and iPhones don't plug into the 2017 Macbooks and iMacs. The fucking headphones that come with the 2017 iPads and iPhones don't plug into the 2017 Macs either.

Macbook power, headphone jack, and iPhone/iPad Lightning USB cables should ALL BE LIGHTNING CABLES.
>iPhone and iPad should come with a Lightning (male) on one end Lightning (male) on the other cable
>iMacs should have lightning inputs (female) in addition to headphone jacks
>Macbooks should also have lightning ports in addition to headphones jack AND Macbook power should be a magnetic break away Lightning port

This would solve all the USB, Thunderbolt 3, headphone jack, lightning headphones problems with one connector.
>Now you have to buy an endless, confusing amount of ugly fucking dongles Apple DOES NOT EVEN INCLUDE when you buy a $1200 phone that requires TWO dongles to work with an Apple $3000 laptop.

Fucking dongles are ugly, a pain to remember, a pain to forget, are an insult and hassle to be forced to buy, collect gunk from dust and moisture, are faulty.

No one gives a fuck about your homosexual toys.

I'm done with Apple.
All they ever had going for them was the absense of bullshit in exchange for a high price.

What should I switch to?
Anyone using the Chromebooks and Google phones?

You don't need to connect your iPhone to your Macbook. That's why iCloud is for.

Premium products require premium accessories, user.

or just dump lightning for usb c?

i could see that happening

user stay with your Apple products. What you are seeing before you, is simply the Apple effect. When they try to make a completely stupid move and then learn after a few years. Trust me by the next design of the Macbook Pro in 2020 the old IO will be back. Even with a 10 Gb ethernet port.

Dongles are a part of the Apple way, get used to it.

Got the Pixel 2. Had an iPhone 7 before. This is much better

>Premium products require premium accessories, user.
It's fucking redundant to carry around two sets of headphones, or headphones and a male/male headphone wire to connect to a fucking dongle to connect to the lightning headphones.

>You don't need to connect you iPhone to your Macbook
Yes I do. I have apps that require selecting and dragging files over a chord.
When I'm at my Macbook Pro it is usually plugged into an outlet and I plug my iPhone into it to charge so I can have access to my phone instead of leaving stuck 3' from what is hopefully another free fucking outlet.
Also, I don't pay for that fucking iCloud bullshit no matter how often they spam me for it. Google provides much better cloud services for free.

It's not premium if it requires accessories. Incomplete products can't be premium.

fuck you and fuck apple

MacBook uses 87w. I don't think lightning connector supports that much.

>I'm done with Apple.
said the same thing a couple months ago and here I am about to order a macbook pro without memebar
winblows is for pajeets and desktop linux is a toy for neets
you sound like one of the fags in the comment sections on jewtube crying about mac gayming performance vs mac

They could have literally replaced almost everything that needed a dongle with a Lightning port or input tho.
EVERYTHING!

lightning, unlike usb-c, doesn't support male-male cables

meant to say pc gayming performance*

They could. They also could make good products, theoretically. I mean, nothing is stopping them and they have the money. They just don't want my money, I guess.

>MacBook uses 87w. I don't think lightning connector supports that much.

Then they fucked up by going with lightning.
It should be ONE type of connection for EVERYTHING.

Pathetic that they are going with the Lightning for somethings but still putting out products with the USB, headphone jacks, and Thunderbolt 3 when ALL of these could be Lightning.

>It should be ONE type of connection for EVERYTHING.
Get the last Air then, it has one connector for everything :^)

*the latest

It's because Apple simultaneously arrived at the conclusion to drop all ports that aren't USB-C (except the headphone jack) on their laptops yet thought that they should stick with their proprietary port that does less than USB-C on their phones.
>Macbook power, headphone jack, and iPhone/iPad Lightning USB cables should ALL BE LIGHTNING CABLES.
And somehow you've arrived at the worst possible solution. What they should do is
>Ditch lightning on everything, now it's USB-C
>Add even a single USB-A on their laptops until it's phased out
>Add the headphone jack back to their phone, fuck the barometer if you have to.
There, now your shit "just werks" without doubling the weight in dongles and doesn't include proprietary garbage.

The Air hasn't been updated in 5 years or something.
The Macbook is lighter.
I bought my mom a Macbook for Christmas and she has an iPhone 7.
>The phone won't plug into the Macbook and the phone's headphones will not plug into the Macbook.
She'll have to buy older Apple headphones to Skype with the grandkids. Or like I said use headphone jack m to m + the iPhone 7 dongle to the iPhone 7.

everything should be usbc.
applel is in a kinda fucked situation because if they switch idevices to usbc everyone will shitpost how applel makes everyone buy new connectors, but if they switch macs to lightning everyone will shitpost how they make everyone buy new lightning connectors.
but i think it'd make more sense to switch the portables to usbc as usb c is a more standard connector

I don't understand this argument. Everyone with an Android phone has to buy new shit switching from micro-USB to USB-C and I've yet to hear anyone complain.

>Ditch lightning on everything, now it's USB-C
USB-C is obviously not going to last because the port for it is too big.
Just like the USB was.
Just like the 32 pin port before the lightning was.

You don't understand because part of the Apple cult's appeal was that all the devices and accessories USED to compliment and work together each other.
Now you have to buy accessories in order to get the products and accessories to plug into each other.

The difference in size is actually marginal, lightning just hides it internally. You absolutely can't compare it to the monstrosity that was 32 pin.

>Now you have to buy accessories in order to get the products and accessories to plug into each other.
If they switched from lightning to USB-C once people bought new accessories it would be over. Instead of now where the user can't use their headphones on anything but ios devices.

My OP was wrong because I didn't know the Lightning could be the power chord to the Macbooks, but still...
They should have ONE fucking type of connection. Just ONE.

It looks like the products will get thinner and the USB-C is not going to be able to have ports on them unless they force us to buy yet another fucking dongle.

They should have come up with ONE small, power ready connection years ago instead of doing away with connections on one line of products and continuing them on others.
The splintering is retarded and it was a shock to give my parents Macbooks that their phones and their phone's headphones don't work with.

K

>Lightning could be the power chord
(Could NOT be)
Correction

Like I said, USB-C is not too big like you seem to think. It only seems larger because the port opening is bigger due to the design. The internal hardware between USB-C and lightning is about the same.

The whole reason lightning exists is because USB-C didn't exist when Apple realized the huge connector it used was ugly as sin and terrible and produced something pretty nice for its time. It's served its purpose though and needs to die.

>Like I said, USB-C is not too big like you seem to think.
This is why I should be in charge of connectors and wires at Apple.
The iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks will continue to get thinner and they will need something thinner than the USB-C and I concede, thinner than the Lightning.

If they spent some of those billions developing this port 5 years ago instead of the Lightning we wouldn't be in this mess.

My vision is one type of connection.
Male male for all chords and female for as many ports as possible on all devices.

/thread

The only way you're getting thinner devices is if you go portless. Even then it's pointless since you could just do what HP did and plug shit into the back.

>The only way you're getting thinner devices is if you go portless.

Or have a fucking vision, delay the Lightning, develop a thinner port a few years ago and roll it out around the time they dropped the headphone jack and avoid the exponential cluster fuck the product line is in today.
Truly Windows teir planning and execution to make a Lightning cable but not able to be male to male or power for laptops OR as you say, a thin enough port.

Portless, magnetic connections laying your iPhone down next to your laptop would have reversed the current clusterfuck and been better looking than a wire too.

Literally how would you make the ports thinner than they are without breaking? Exotic materials or construction? Nobody is going to pay $80 for a usb cable.

>USB Ethernet adapter

>Literally how would you make the ports thinner than they are without breaking?
Most wires should have a magnetic breakaway fault. My wires all get chewed up.
But anyways, I don't accept excuses why I can't have one type of connection.
I remember when Apple used to not make engineering problems my problem.
If they made something better than the lightning they could have made it do everything. Now they sell 23 different dongles that are just going to collect gunk & lint and get lost.

ThinkPad and any mid or high end android phone. I personally recommend the oneplus 5t, but that's up to you.

>what is a Ziploc baggie

Yeah no shit.

now fill your holes with dongles like a good soyboy, don't be intolerant now lets get all those holes dongled up.

Can't help but laugh at all the donglebook owners at work, one guy has the full 15 inch touchbar monstrosity and on one side he has a dongle and a spinning disk hard drive hanging off because he bought the lowest space model and on the other side he has a hdmi dongle.

Comes sheepishly into meetings cradling the spider web of design clusterfucks

Can't believe macfags are still pretending this was a good idea when it's been out for a few years now and USB-C is still just a dongleport.

>Fucking dongles are ugly, a pain to remember, a pain to forget, are an insult and hassle to be forced to buy, collect gunk from dust and moisture, are faulty.
Fucking this. My employer bought me an iphone 6 and a Macbook Pro (the model before all the ports went to usb-c). Love both products.
Dongles? No standard USB? No headphone jack? Fuck iphone 10 and the new Macs.

You expect your $1000+ devices made by the same company to just work and be compatible with each other? Are you insane?!?!

>Can't believe macfags are still pretending this was a good idea
This

As if they're actually going somewhere with this as opposed to the reality that the Lightning wasn't the connection to end all connections that it should have been.

The spate of excuses from Apple is pathetic as well.
"You don't need to plug your phone into your Macbook."
"We equip our devices with the best ports and our customers can decide what subpar ports they need"
- Except for the fact the 2017 iPhones STILL have regular USB and the 2017 Macs and Macbooks still have headphone jacks and NO PLACE for the headphones to plug in that came with the 2017 iPhones.

Dump it all for wireless.

I've decided after all this fuck-tardery that I'm never going to buy another Apple product and am going full freetard here.

I have a full Apple setup, my wife uses an Apple, and she's fucking about had it too.

Apple, sorry guys, you wanted the chink market and you wanted to make everything in China, good on you, I wish you much success, but I will not be joining your happy future.

It'll still have a shitty glossy screen and the hardware backdoors though. They will probably also keep the sharp edges and corners they currently offer on all their laptops too.

No thanks.

>doesn't like the sharp edges'
>Being this much of a weakling

I'm on windows and even I can just sync my iPhone via wi-fi. Unless you're traferring HUEG files over USB and a non-apple app you have no reason to complain.

We're too dongled in now, it's never going to change USB-C is a failed port

why would a manufacturer make a device that only supported USB-C when all Donglebook fags have USB-A dongles

Real cloud storage, transfer, and syncing would make some of my dongegate hatred cool.
But Apple only provides like 5MB of free cloud storage and then they continuously spam you every day to get you to pay for the icloud.
Fucking bullshit.

because faggots are idiots and a ton of people use iphone/ipad without pc.

if you force the port change then people will bitch just like lightning and won't understand why it was made. there are SHITLOADS of people using iphone/ipad with either ancient mac/PC or no computer at all.

apple also enjoys the licensing revenue from accessories made for idevices combine that and why rock the boat

USB type-c will eventually win as more laptops come with it as the power delivery method and port choice, then it will become the only port and eventually idevices will switch.

wifi sync doesn't require icloud, tard

>power chord

But if they made the Lightning able to replace the USB, USB-C, headphone jack, and power port, they would have gotten the user base to adopt with minimal griping. (They could still include USB-C and headphone ports on laptops, just along with a female Lightning port so headphones and the iPhone/iPad male/male chords could plug in).
Instead they rolled out the shit Lightning connection, which can't be male/male, which can't be used as a power chord for laptops.

Instead of one connection that does everything they have 23 dongles.

>wifi sync doesn't require icloud, tard
You're talking about for people that buy songs for money on iTunes?

I still can't charge my phone at my desk through my Macbook without dongles.

>Lightning to VGA
Can I plug an iPhone into an old CRT monitor with this? What will it do? What is the point of this adapter?

at least when they had a semi proper port selection they could somewhat get away with claiming their machine was "professional"

the dongles are just meme level

Projectors you fucking unemployed idiot NEET

It's making them too much money because of the variety.

Ok I get Apple likes making dongles but what's with those terrible strain reliefs?

It looks nicer than a proper one.

Dongles that break more easily result in more dongle sales.

>wifi sync doesn't require icloud, tard

>Be me
>Try to transfer songs from my Macbook to my iPhone into the 'Music' app wirelessly

If this is even possible.
Maybe I'm the tard but I don't see options to do this anywhere.

You don't need icloud to sync/transfer files using wi-fi.

Why is a macfag of all things not able to do this but a Windows user can?

Yes, Just open iTunes. I use it all the time since my SE has a QI pad permanently in place and I don't like iCloud.

>It's making them too much money
yeah, I mean that's the obvious reason when everything needs a dongle it decreases the marketing value to the lowest common denominator of social media machine
Feel sorry for anyone that has to deploy and maintain ishit and a mountain of dongles

I clicked 'share my entire library' in iTunes.

My phone is nowhere on iTunes like it would be if plugged in and nothing indicates there is music to grab from the laptop on my iPhone.

You can do this because you pay for your music on iTunes?

It's a shame we've had to lower our standards so much that we're happy if a laptop has USB and HDMI these days...

fpbp

If dongle-gate wasn't incompetence and they are doing anything consciously then the dongles are just a way for them to squeeze cash out of what they believe is a dead brand walking.

>be on Sup Forums
>hasn't learned how to fucking google it
why am i not surprised

I bought a new Samsung and they included adapters to work with my old equipment. So that's why nobody is complaining.

consumer grade hw is stripping features for the sake of change and marketing it as innovatshiun to keep feeding investors

this effect ripples into enterprise grade as well

shorter hw cycles are also becoming more popular to encourage consumption

incompetence are stupid single time mistakes like root bug on high sierra

dongles are a systematic cash cow behind a guise of "muh thin, what is a computer?" marketing

Not a dead brand walking but a brand with enough of a fanatical fanbase to not have to worry.

Have you not seen all the iPhone x geekbench shilling on g? You think they get paid to make those posts?

I didn't though. My phone came with a USB type c cable. Even if my charger shits itself I can plug the cable into my old charger. Only extra money I spent was $2 on a chink type c cable I keep in my bag. Phone still has a 3.5mm port too so my headphones still work perfectly.

>should ALL BE LIGHTNING CABLES
The lightning cable shouldn't even exist.

It's not possible
If I want my mp3s on my iPhone I have to plug it into my Macbook Pro.
UNLESS it's a song you bought on iTunes.
Nobody has told me I'm wrong about this.

literal edgelord

Lightning is just an abstraction of USB2.0/3.0.
This means you can't put Thunderbolt over it and it is a far less versatile jack than USB-C.
So I'm sorry but what you figured out is more of a hindrance to advancement of convenience than the current situation where you just need to get a Lightning to USB-C cable.

Learning the lighting cable sucks since OP
>The lightning cable shouldn't even exist.
They should have made ONE connection to rule them all. Charging phones, powering laptops, replacing headphone jacks, etc, but the Lightning can't do that.
Literally every wire should have had it at the end(s) and every Mac should have two or three ports for it.

Apple should have come up with a thin USB-D and everything should have been made to plug into one in 2015, BEFORE they fucked up the headphone jack.

Apple has all well figured out nigger
They do it on purpose so you buy dongles and cables
Do you think they are actually that stupid

itt: buyer's remorse & sef-loathing over their own retardation.

Seriously, if you really want universality with all your electronics, you clearly have better choices than anything Apple.

What's a good laptop for running Linux?
I can't do Windows.

My next purchase was going to be a Macbook Pro but I can't deal w these fucking dongles.

Nope, ya wrong.

It's very possible to do, since I have my library synced over wi-fi. Unless you want to locate those Peter Gabriel bootlegs for me on iTunes to prove me wrong? You don't even need to share your library. This requires like no setup at all, since all you have to do is disable icloud in the music app on your phone. What the fuck is wrong with you? It's like the first, second, thir- result on Google m8, even BING.

Next you'll be telling me that you don't even run your two devices on the same network.

No, they don't have my bootleg albums on iTunes, nerd and iTunes still doesn't sell a lot of the content in my library in a non-raped form.

I google 'best Linux laptop' and a fucking Dell is number 1 on the list.
My last Dell laptop died after a year and a half, was slow as shit, and fans sounded like a server rack.

Get a HP.

I use a 2170p with Solus and it works perfectly, I even get over 4 hours battery life which is a small improvement over w7.

you're wrong about this.
congratulations though, you're too dumb even for apple products.

>2170p
Good god
What year did this thing come out?

You run Ubuntu?
I'm in a hotel with a Linux tower right now and the fucking thing couldn't log onto the WiFi because Ubuntu won't allow chrome to open the 'accept terms' window. Had to buy a Bluetooth USB
I also have to lug around a projector even though use screen share from my laptop because Ubuntu won't display anything unless it detects a monitor.

> 1366 x 768 pixel, TN LED

You fuckers must have Apple Music subscriptions or some me.com icloud shit.

I have no options for it.

>I'm in a hotel with a Linux tower right now and the fucking thing couldn't log onto the WiFi because Ubuntu won't allow chrome to open the 'accept terms' window. Had to buy a Bluetooth USB
>I also have to lug around a projector even though use screen share from my laptop because Ubuntu won't display anything unless it detects a monitor.
you realize most access points set up like this will push that window to you if you just target a browser at whatever your gateway on the LAN is

> just target a browser at whatever your gateway on the LAN is

I do not realize.
How would I find out what my 'gateway on the LAN is'?
I spent hours on Ubuntu forums trying to connect before I bought a Bluetooth for it. Did hear tell of your solution.

>You fuckers must have Apple Music subscriptions
I did, I cancelled after the first month because apple music works like shit if you want to use USB/Wi-Fi to sync.
Literally just google how to copy files through USB, connect to the same network, trust your computer/iTunes and click on the devices icon.

It's not hard in the slightest. Just like the good ol' days.