/spg/ - Smartphone General

End of the Year Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Note-Samsung-Detachable-Premium-Leather/dp/B075896MS4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514692909&sr=8-12&keywords=note 8 wallet case
community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16469
wired.com/story/when-one-screen-isnt-enough-try-meizus-two-screen-phone/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Give me reasons not to buy a Google Pixel 2.
Anything other than the price.

No headphone jack

Help me /spg/
I only have those 3 options.
Which one would you choose and why?

don't go for the huawei meme, I know a bunch of people who had both the P8 and the P9 lites and complained about performance and battery life 24/7 either go for the xiaomi which is a solid choice or the motorola if you want a western brand

>Post a mini-review of your phone
Okay here’s one:
It sucks. I’m still trying to figure out how to torrent shit. The worst part tho is the display. It doesn’t look as nice as my old note 2 for some reason

b-b-but the huawei looks nice..
>motorola if you want a western brand
Motorola is lenovo now, and they are chinese.

>still trying to figure out how to torrent shit
Easy, just download Flu- oh, it's an iShit, nvm then

Link it next time ya dingus
>the no Ulefone T1 gf

Meant to

Yeah that sucks. Is there anything else?

Huawei
Fuck off gwai lo

Redmi 4X, easy. for that 4000mah battery

Why you choose huawei?
I heard that the batterry is solid, but does it really matter to have a very good baterry?

Why wouldn't you want good battery life?

You are right, it is very convenient.
The 3 have similar specifications.. maybe the batterry is a good plus.
I dont know which to choose

Reasons to not buy a brand new LG V20?

Because G4 and redmi 4x are garbage compared to P8 Lite

Z5 Compact still worth buying? Using Z1 Compact atm and that's fast enough for me. I just need a fingerprint scanner

why?

Both have shit cameras and their SoCs are garbage compare to the P8 Lite
The Huawei is a better daily driver, I don't know how else you want me to spell it out for you

>All the phones I'm interested in don't have a headphone jack
What the fuck do I do? I laughed it up when my friend said that other manufacturers were going to follow Apple after he bought an iphone 7 too.

What's the point in microG instead of just using google play services?

OnePlus 3T or 5. Pretty much faster than anything else out there. Only concern is screen res compared to other flagship phones.

To escape the Google botnet

LMAO, the P8 Lite is trash, easily worst of the 3

Your opinion is trash

I got a keyone and it's good

Screen not 1440p, no wireless charging, no dual camera, snapdragon 845 out soon, only 2700 mah, no sd card slot the list goes on

Thoughts on the Meizu M6 Note? Anyone own it and have experiences to tell about it? Mainly about FlymeOS and how often it gets OTA security updates (if any).

Best phone for drawfag?

Anyone here use a wallet case?

Like my moto x4, some glitches:
Headphone jack at the bottom;
Slippery case;
Lack of third party rom support, the phone however can be rooted.

>tfw Pixel 2 XL is on the way

Get a one plus 5. It has the jack.

Had one, fucking hated it.

And the analytics sent to Oneplus that have your phone ID and lists what apps you use.

They're great for when you want everything important stolen from you in one swoop.

Note 8 obviously

I wonder if Huawei's meme AI also sends data it collects off you to their servers

I want wireless charging though. Also I just realized that the essential phone doesn't have wireless charging like I thought it did. What the fuck is the point of the ceramic back then?

>GS6
>2 years later
>2 cracks in screen
>no more storage
>headphone port broken

What should I get next? Expandable storage is a must. I would love a big screen too.
S8 is expensive though.

Quit being a poorfag

Is the Note 8 worth it or should i just get the 5T?

US
A phone that runs on a linux kernel and fully supported hardware by the kernel.

I just want to install gentoo on my phone

I used to, and they suck the problem is that even for the big phones like on the note 8 you can't fit the bills in flat meaning you have to fold them and increase the thickness. I got amazon.com/Note-Samsung-Detachable-Premium-Leather/dp/B075896MS4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1514692909&sr=8-12&keywords=note 8 wallet case but I returned it after I realized how pointless it is
They're great if you want to carry 3-4 cards on you then your cash in a separate pocket

Only 2 things fuck up the 5T for me. Lack of microSD slot, and overall customer support from the company if you receive a defective product. If you have the money though, the Note 8 appears to be a good device.

How is 128gb storage not enough?

Because not everyone uses cloud storage for everything. All those videos/pictures you took on vacation or with family? Kiss those goodbye if you drop your phone and it becomes completely non responsive. Where as with a microSD, you can just take it out of the phone and put it into the new one. Or back it up onto your PC.

Not to mention that most high end phones now ship with 64GB internal, and 128GB SD cards are dirt cheap. Shit even the 200GB and 256GB microSD cards are coming way down in price.

Then there's music. I have almost 50GB of FLAC on my phone. There is literally no downside to have a MicroSD slot yet many phone companies keep refusing to put one in.

So what phones are Sup Forums using this year?

I'm rocking a shitty Xiaomi with 4000mah

LG V20 reporting in. Got it for $400 brand new. Honestly the best phone I've used. It has officially replaced my old Note 3 as my favorite phone.

this year is almost over senpai
still using my one plus one, but ordered a pixel 2 today

iPhone 5 is still in good shape. Mind you I only use it for calls, texting and lurking here. Hoping for an SE2 if such a thing ever happens.

I'm still using my Nexus 4 but I'm looking to replace it. Trouble is I'm looking for something that
>Has an OLED screen
>Has wireless charging
>Doesn't cost a gorillion dollars
An SD card slot and a headphone jack would be nice too. I'm eyeing LG but their reputation is somewhere between dumpster fire and burning nitroglycerine plant though.

Seriously though, I thought both the Essential phone and Pixel had wireless charging hence the material choices but they don't. I can't comprehend making the material compromises without capitalizing on the benefits.

I use a thin wallet case on my galaxy s5. namely so that the phone gets extra screen protection from the other shit in my pocket, the cheapo case only has a pocket for a single credit card but i don't use it. can still wireless charge through the case since it's cardboard backed.

i did have one of those official flip cases with the little window but it never kept itself closed for anything and was attached like a backplate.

LG V20 or OnePlus 5T?

I probably won't use V20's DAC though, I have a dedicated high-end portable player.

LG G6, made the transition from a shitty huawei and Im loving it.

Redmi Note 4.
Great phone for daily use if you're broke like me.

I wanna get fucked in my leaking ass

I don't think i've heard of that phone brand.

What's a good vpn for iPhone ?

Pixel 2 XL now or wait for the S9+?

I am a current Android user but I am contemplating switching to iPhone 8. I've heard that there is much less botnet with Apple and that everything is more streamline. I am being drawn further away from the Android platform. Convince me Sup Forums, to go to either Android or iOS.

Shitty build quality, made by botnet cunts, shall I mention that you can get much better phones for a similar if not cheaper price?

>material compromises

The only material that fits that description is fucking glass, mate. Plastics are the ultimate material for phones. Metal is okay if you use it for heat sink purposes, but otherwise inferior to plastic.

Anyone waiting for Honor V10?

Seems like a direct competition for 5T but with Kirin 970.

Wait a year for the pixel 3 dude.

Is it just me or is it hard to get used to the ultra tall/ultra wide aspect ratio on the note 8?

Budget: Have money
Carrier: Freedom (Wind mobile but they changed it to a cringy name)

I have a Moto G 1st gen that went kabut and now I'm thinking of getting a new phone that lasts me 5 or 6 years. I can get either Moto G5plus or go all in and get Oneplus5T or Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Which one is the better choice? Should I be a jew and get another budget phone if they're getting better?

Note 8

Is getting an s8 a good idea right now?

community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16469
>Having bands but not telling us
Why though?

Why? Doesn't seem anything special compared to the ones I listed

Pixel 2

I think I'm gonna grab one.
Found some cheapass contracts that are barely more than I'm paying now with no phone.

Only thing thats keeping me from switching currently is me being too lazy to do that whole number transfer thing.

what's the chinkphone that has a small OLED screen on the rear of the phone for notifications?
does it actually exist or did I have a weird dream again?

wired.com/story/when-one-screen-isnt-enough-try-meizus-two-screen-phone/

Xperia XZ1 compact is coming on tue

Nobody cares

Okay, but why?

>Paying extra money for a shit gimmick
Guess that's the last time I ask Sup Forums for any advice.

5T, how's that even a question. G5plus is way less powerful than the other two, and Huawei is as bloated as Samsung.

It depends on whether it will get discounted when the s8 is announced. I don't think it will. It still feels brand new. Any time you find a good deal now is a good time to buy an s8. It won't get cheaper for at least 6 months.

I want the absolute best phone that can be used easily with one hand

Any phone can be used with one hand.

Meant to say when the s8 is announced.

It's actually quite useful. The ability to use dex is really fucking nice too. I don't even take a laptop to work anymore. My phone has replaced my work computer through the use of dex which is really nice because I ride a motorcycle to and from work and I hate having to bring a backpack every day just to take my laptop to and from work.

Meant to say s9. Blasted auto correct.

Not if you wanna wobble the shit out of it, using the note 8 with one hand is fucking retarded.

And I have pretty big hands.

Pixel 2, it has a great user experience and camera. It's just a good phone

Any 5.5 phone then, because I don't have any problems with one with my average hands.

Pixel 2 for 3XCA

>note all the way to 8
>I'm still on my note 3
jesus christ

I'm glad the pixel buds are a failure. If Google can't pressure they customers into bundling them with Pixel 2s, they should just put the fucking jack back in on Pixel 3. Just pretend it didn't happen. Let this trend go the way of $300 wearables, smart-everythings, and cloud enabled refrigerators- OPTIONAL features for people with more money than sense.

Wew it's time to upgrade man

I was weighing what my options are based on reviews. Never got a flagship phone so I don't know which ones lasts me a while

Still, I've seen my family having a note 8 and the pen isn't my thing.

I like the Pixel 2 from what I've seen but they say support is gonna stop in 2020.

where would you guys go to from a OnePlus 2 if you wanted good ROM support, and a screen that's at least 5.5" 1080p?

Only reason the 5T, V30, or samshit is even getting a look is the 3.5mm jack nonsense.

If support is your thing then pixels are your only choice. After official support ends you can still flash custom roms because the bootloader is unlocked. Not telling you to get a pixel (but get a pixel) but unlockable bootloader should be your priority it longevity is a concern.

Phones like Samsung your device will be forever stuck with the last official security update once support drops.