Apple slowing down iPhones

Old phone = old battery.
Enclosed sealed phone = needing to take it to the Apple store to replace old battery.

1. Once you factor in the fact that they're slowing down phones with old batteries, why is it hard for the mainstream media to accept that they do this to get more money?
2. Why did old iPhones have an issue where they shut off at 30-40% battery life? Was it just an artificial number that didn't tell you the actual battery life of the phone? Did they do this as a strategy later on to introduce the notion of slowing down iPhones with old batteries to make more money?
3. Seeing as how I presume they're now going to make a lot of money from people trying to replace their old iPhone batteries at the Apple store, will other corporations follow suit? Is planned obsolescence going to become an official explicit business practise across other major phone manufactures simply to earn more money?

Fuck Apple.

Which movie was that again?

to be fair you need to have a really high iq to defend apple products

Ingesting quotient? Isn't that the standard that determines how much cum a macfag can swallow before getting sick?

The Aviator

It's the wolf of wall street, I remember now. Thanks

It's just Apple, my PSP doesn't have any shutdown issues and my mates Nexus 4 doesn't either.

According to Apple they slow down iPhones with old degraded batteries, iPhones shutting down at 40% happens with there is a spike in power consumption causing the protection IC to kick in as to not drain the battery past a set voltage (Apple must have set this voltage really high), It's odd to me that this is happening because even an old li-ion battery should be able to handle the power output of even a high drain app without issue. I'm playing devils advocate here but maybe Apple has set the protection IC voltage cutoff high as to give there batteries to keep there capacity higher for longer as lithium batteries do better if not discharged deeply

Don't Android phones cut off at 3.5v typically when the batteries can theoretically go down to 2.5v though?

Depends heavily on manufacturer, you would want a higher cutoff for phones to make them last longer, Wikipedia says 3.3v volts for better cell chemistry stability.

>why is it hard for the mainstream media to accept that they do this to get more money?

Because most people working for the MSM are Apple drones themselves.

>maybe Apple has set the protection IC voltage cutoff high as to give there batteries to keep there capacity higher for longer as lithium batteries do better if not discharged deeply

....or maybe they just want to sell new phones.

I know nothing about battery, but after replacing whole battery cell on my laptop they do have cutoff when charge and discharge. 3.3 when empty and 4.2 when fully charge. Thanks for asshole guy who sell me a used Panasonic 18650 battery.

I'm sure they do but there is an odd thing with iPhone batteries. I say the cutoff voltage is high because after 500 cycles iPhone batteries are rated for 80% of there capacity, while others often only have 60% after 500 or so cycles and if you raise the cutoff voltage you can retain a higher capacity for longer like I said

You wanted to live in a sealed off walled garden where internal components were completely off limits and one single company handled manufacturing, software and maintenance. This is something you as an apple user brought unto yourself. Next time you look at your boutique paperweight, think about the series of decisions that got you there, and how they're all completely anti-technology.

But how much power could an SoC pull to cause such dips when still on 20-30%. Does Apple allow some kind of overclock/turbo that lasts a few seconds to counter lag? I'm thinking like turbo boost or project butter.

>2. Why did old iPhones have an issue where they shut off at 30-40% battery life?
Because when the battery ages the peak current it can supply decreases as well. Once this peak current drops below the amount the device can draw at peak loads you will get shut offs in those situations.
It'll happen on your PC too if you buy a PSU that is underrated for your hardware.

Other manufacturers may implement the same feature Apple did, but will certainly be more open about it.
Fact is that now you can fairly easily get any "non-removable" battery replaced anyway. People just need to realize the signs or get notifications that it needs replacing.

>causing the protection IC to kick in as to not drain the battery past a set voltage (Apple must have set this voltage really high)
No. Close but no.
The voltage may drop as the current crosses the capability of the battery to supply (this can happen) but "draining the battery past a set voltage" is what all phones protect against, it's called 0% battery remaining.

>It's odd to me that this is happening because even an old li-ion battery should be able to handle the power output of even a high drain app without issue.
That's because you don't understand batteries or electronics.

>the state of iCucks

Just like your PC the phone doesn't run at full power all the time. Say it idles around 3W but can hit 15W under load.
If the battery can supply 17W down to 3.2V when new you are fine, but as it degrades it may only be able to supply 13W down to 3.2V, which means somewhere around 3.5V you're gonna cross the 15W capability limit. If the phone tries to draw 15W past this point it won't get enough power and CPUs don't like that.

I'm pretty jealous of Android users right now. Just think, in a few years I'll have a throttled phone, and theirs will still be just as slow as it always was.

You are an Android user.

Yeah but I doubt they'd actually design an SoC that could consume so much power, it doesn't make sense for a mobile device where battery life is so important. Not unless it could only spike momentarily when the performance was needed, like in games.

Thank you for the information. Articles and other media sources on the matter didn't provide that kind of information.

>Yeah but I doubt they'd actually design an SoC that could consume so much power
This is Apple, and they did.
I don't know the exact values but this is from their explanation and it makes sense.
One way to reduce the maximum power consumption of a device is to lower the maximum clock speeds.

One thing to bear in mind is that this isn't the phone jumping from 30% to 0% and shutting off. When the phone was restarted it would still be able to run and drain the remaining capacity of the battery, so long as you didn't cause that peak usage again.

>believing the battery misdirection
It's like you anons never saw the graphic depicting spikes in "iPhone slow" search queries just after each major version release my of iOS.

Then why does my old ass psp 1000 still work as well as the day i got it with the same battery it's always had.

It factually doesn't. Your battery doesn't defy the laws of physics.

You still haven't explained why my old ass device doesn't randomly shutdown while performing just like new (with a shorter battery life) meanwhile iphones alone seem to have this issue. Just accept that apple is bullshitting you, do you really think that your phone ever draws anywhere near the max current from a lithium ion battery.

Your psp has to power a 480x272 tft, and a 333MHz CPU.

An old ass inefficient by today's standards cpu and screen as well as a bloody disk drive. Hell you could even get an external hard drive for the thing that plugged into the pro duo slot and clipped onto the back of the device.

Because it doesn't draw near the current limit of the battery.

Simple as that.

The current limit of a battery that's much smaller than an iPhone battery while still consuming similar power thanks to inefficient as fuck bits like an optical drive and almost 2 decade old MIPS processor and screen.

Have you measured the current limit of the battery?
I don't think so.

Also, doesn't the PSP have a 5V, 2A power adapter than it can run off without the battery installed and can charge the battery while running?
That would put it under 10W. You could potentially calculate the draw of the system by charging the battery from flat to full with the machine powered off and timing it, then coming flat to full while playing a game.

The battery for the PSP is around the same capacity as found in iPhones (maybe larger in some cases) and is also Li-Ion, but an iPhone don't fucking charge while under peak load. The power is just sucked out of the battery slower.

>iPhone doesn't charge under load
What the fuck?
I've never owned a device that could not charge with the original charger while under heavy load. My phone charges just fine running dolphin too.

A 3 year old Samsung S8 or Pixel 2 XL will be more obsolete than an iPhone X.