Will desktops ever become obsoleet?

Will desktops ever become obsoleet?

They are obsolete as far as normies are concerned. For gentoo people, maybe eventually.

Also that picture and filename got me good. Triggered/10

Yes when you can have the same power in a laptop without it catching fire

Filename AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

As long as you need something to develop your apps with.

Maybe. Pray for Windows to keep being relevant.

>Maybe. Pray for Windows to keep being relevant.

Why would anyone do that?

Plus, isn't everything eventually going to be SaaS, and all devices will only be terminals to access the botnet?

In a distant future, we'll prolly not even have access to computer parts as consumers..

Should we forfeit and take the blue pill already?

you may not like it, but without windows relevance in the cubical farms and on the e-sportz gaymen rigs, there is literally no market left for desktop computers

this

What's a computer?

I saw what you did there.

Yes. Fucking normies are ruining everything with their stupid phones

i'm not gonna be able to migrate to tablets or internet os ever

windows desktops becoming more niche and expensive is detrimental for my interests in the long run

no

there's gonna be a market, its just gonna be a small one thats focused on the high end. Sysadmins with a pile of VMs that want sixteen cores and lots of RAM, graphics people ans scientists using piles of GPU acceleration, etc. People that want desktops will be paying more for less selection, or they'll be getting used hardware from the groups above.

I don't see anyone but professional gamers owning hardware in the future unless we can fix the latency issues.

Desktop computer? Do you mean when your laptop is on top of your desk rather than on your lap? They're still called laptops. Anyways I don't plan on getting rid of my laptop any time soon. Tablets suck.

you know what? fuck this little bitch

Oh gawd
>kids of the future won't know they are using computers,
>kids of the future won't know anything beyond prebuilt toys
>kids of the future won't ever experience the joys of putting together a new system for Chirstmas or their Birthday
What a horrible state of affairs we are in today. These kids will grow up only to be another cog in the wheel without any basic understanding of the things they use in everyday life. They will look at how new something is to judge how well it performs rather than the actual specs, they will get things based on walled gardens instead of open and free platforms.

>kids of the future won't ever experience the joys of putting together a new system for Chirstmas or their Birthday
Fuck me. If someday I have children I will teach them about that. It will be up to them if they like it or not.

All normies do is surf facebook and send nudes. iOS is perfect for that.

>All normies do is send nudes
All is right in the wrold.

As long as there is a need for cutting edge performance desktops will never be obsolete.

However for normies who don't need cutting edge performance then yes they are obsolete.

i would

Yeah, once you can program on phones. Then it will be .

You can but it is quite a cancerous experience if I may say so.

The apple advert "what's a computer ' sad state of affairs, glad I'm using win 10 for gaymming.

Is PC gaymin still a thing? Should I say, is gaymin still a thing?

>Be me
>15
>Christmas morning
>Opening presents, one is a cardboard box
>Inside are a bunch of ESD bags
>Each one contains a PC component
>tfw Dad and I put a PC together Christmas morning

I fucking loved that thing. AMD K6-2 450mhz, MSI MS-5169 ATi Rage 3D 8mb, the GPU could render hardware TL or fog so I could hide underwater is gasworks in Halflife DM and snipe fuckers with the crossbow who couldn't see me but I could see them lol

For the consumer (normie) level, yes.
For the prosumer/business level, no.

>For the consumer (normie) level, yes.
>For the prosumer/business level, no.

Hmm, not the opposite? The only people who really need a desktop are non-normies n pc gabe-worshipping mustard and ketchup gaymers, so I would think that if gaymin becomes basically a SaaS

>PS6 console - pay a monthly fee in order to stream gamez from their servers, console itself just a terminal to access their servers (like chrome os), give it a few generations and steam will be the same - saw signs of steam gaymers defending valve's decision to call hax if you play your gaymes in a VM under loonix.

then the only people who actually need a desktop would be the nerds who actually need processing power. Phone are becoming laptop-size anyways and that is more than enough for clash of cucks and muh visagebooklet.

Most normies, especially women, have a smartphone they use for everything. That's all they have. If they're between 20-30 years old they might also have a laptop which they use occasionally. Under 20 normies don't even like using laptops, they want tablets and phones. Laptops and especially desktops are weird, ancient, tech they grudgingly use at university and once a year for taxes.

But there will always be people who need to create the code and content that makes smartphones usable, so desktops will never be obsolete for developers and creators.

this, but literally

Given the chip/processor procede wall with Intel having huge issues getting 10nm stable, and that we are currently also hitting the IPC wall where the only option is to add more cores or specialized chip functions like hardware decoding of AES or x265; an important element in performance will be dependent on the form factor.

Laptops will still be too small for good performance given the above limitations.

Now you could argue that cloud will take all of this over with AWS, Azure and stuff like lambda and you will not need local processing power.

Last scenario will be the nightmare since governments will get full control over everything.

for gentoomen, not until laptops adopt a standardized platform (so probably never).

normies do everything on phones and fruity laptops already anyway

prebuilts are losing favor but more there are alot more gamers since this gen's consoles are so disappointing. Then there is the fact that anyone who does actual work needs a decent computer.

It is better if B.A. degree normies get off the computing platform and stick to their shitty idevices. Maybe we can ditch some of the legacy stuff holding PCs back.

i doubt it. They have to many uses in the business world. Even if every consumer stopped buying/building desktops businesses would still be buying them. Only way I can see this changing is if everything goes to a cloud based service and employees log into the cloud and have desktop level performance on their laptop tablet or phone.

For as long as we have desks, no.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure the sticker says "Never obsolete", so no?

good luck speed typing your code or MS-word essay on your tablet or phone
or on that chiclet laptop keyboard

>inb4 digital natives

here in Germany all news are like if the kids from now grow up the will be computer goods because they are the first generation born with computers.

the old people that really got in to these things with the first pcs are the pros.
my 85yo grandfather at the table
>gave my old PC. a new RAM and an SSD its really fast now.
does video and music editing etc.

They're already becoming so. It'll get to a point where the only desktops you can buy are extremely overpriced workstations or extremely overpriced components. No one except gamers and employers care about desktops.

They're done long term.

Video Encoding takes a lot of power. Due to the trend in portable laptops/netbooks to sacrifice power for longer battery life I don't think you'd want to be doing that on anything but a desktop. You could, but which would be better? Desktop = takes 2 hrs; laptop = 4+hrs. If you care about speed the desktop wins.