How come they speak totally unrelated languages yet they're so similar?

religion?

bait

But we speak extremely close languages

probably more similar than some german dialects

Perhaps because of the power of Chinese culture at that time and traditional Chinese. In the first place traditional Chinese was made for Chinese having various dialects to communicate with each other by way of written texts. So Chinese culture was conveyed to Japan, Korea and Vietnam with traditional Chinese books.

Racially they're similar since they share a common origin, but they aren't as close as they seem on a modern map, the languages and peoples have been developping independently for thousands of years.

Although both the Korean and Japanese adapted the Chinese writing system to their languages, no single country could its neighbours dominate enough for it to replace the languages of the other regions.

No need to speak each other's language when you can communicate with written Chinese.

Easy Understanding

because china was the origin of past modernity
in the current modernity everyone looks western, the reverse was true for china

>Germany/North Korea

Sounds about right

I don't feel like doing the mental gymnastics required to make sense of this right now.
>American education

Islands make people more isolated.

France should be China. China's historic influence on Asia is without a doubt, and France's influence on Europe up until Napoleon is similar

Why the fuck are Belgium and Netherlands North and South Korea? If anything, Ireland should be Korea because Japan brutally colonized them, similar to the English and the Irish. You could have even done North Ireland/North Korea and Ireland/South Korea. It's so obvious!

Russia should just be Russia. They're in both places. That's why they're Russia.

Germany I'm having trouble figuring out who to compare to in Asia, but making Taiwan Ireland and China into German was just weird. It doesn't explain the relationship between them at all.

Shit map, but got me interested and made me think so 1/10

>unrelated
IIRC Japanese writing system was influenced by Chinese
>culture so similar?
Bait but still
Wow,countries that lie close has similar cultures,who knew,right?
Even then there's a lot of cultural differences too that even the dumb can recognize.For eg:Consider stereotypes.Rude Chinese vs Polite Japaneese stereotypes.

I grew up in Japan and now study Chinese because there's no one but weebs to speak Japanese with in America. The hanzi/kanji are Chinese, but Japanese often uses different ones.

Why are you learning Chinese in America?

I live close to the Canadian border

this is retarded you're retarded
you're telling me a korean could go to china and speak korean and be understood and understand chinese?
fuck u
dumb coin slot eye monkey nigger

That wasn't me. I'm learning Chinese because I work with a few Chinese people and I really like learning the characters. Japanese is cool but not nearly as practical, I don't know any Japanese people in America and every Japanese language group I've gone to has been a bunch of weebs talking about anime. I like some anime too but Jesus fuck weebs always like the shitty ones and think they're documentaries about Japan.

Nice bait

Aha, someone notices that Britain and Japan are the same!

Some1 give me a good ww2 movie

lol "old china" is much more to the north

Casablanca

May your soul be blessed with eternal peace

Actually China's influence on their languages has been so massive the secondary set of Japanese language (onyomi) making over half their entire vocabulary is bastardized Chinese. For example...
senpai = qianbei
toshokan = tushuguan
suika = shuiguo
ringo = pingguo
tenshi = tianshi
bakana = bukeneng

Same applies to Korean apparently even higher degree. With my rudimentary Chinese and zero Korean knowledge I can pick out insane amount of familiar words out of their movie dialogues.

>How come they speak totally unrelated languages yet they're so similar?

All utilize Chinese-influenced writing systems. Even Vietnamese has Chinese-influenced words in its spoken vocabulary.

Japan and Korea have some similarities in spoken language, while Mandarin has similarities with the old southern Chinese languages.

So, they are a lot like West Europe. Similar writing systems and some similarities in spoken language, but still mutually unintelligible. Some similarities in culture, but enough differences to be unique.

Its comparing the relationships between the languages you retarded shart