How many programming languages can you know simoulatenously?

How many programming languages can you know simoulatenously?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_list_of_programming_languages,
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

more than how many fingers you have

You don't know programming languages, you only know "fundamentals" (general) and "caveeats" (language specific). Once you learned the "caveeats" for a language it's like learning how to ride a bicycle.
So, an infinite amount, as long as they fall into the major categories (functional, OOP, scripting, etc etc).

It takes maybe 10 minutes to pick up a new language, so it's probably feasible to learn all of them.

idk I have 10 languages I know quite well. as long as you actively develop projects in the languages you want to know you'll be fine.

all of them.

all you need to know are IF or ELSE statements.

Depends on your definition of "know". If it's "doesn't need documentation to write code" then I know zero, otherwise I know about 20.

I lost count.

try to pick up haskell in 10 minutes I dare you

It was your first functional language so you think it's unique

Nah I knew Erlang from before so thinking in terms of recursion and pattern matching and currying wasn't new to me. Still took me over two weeks.

Given everything not named lisp or asm is an algol clone, i would say many.

>be familiar with java, javascript, c++
>had to take a course on functional programming
>needed to write programs in lisp
FUCK THAT SHIT

If you know C/C++ then it's really easy to learn all C-based languages, same with other families of languages.

Knowing the syntax and knowing the language are two different things.

you're just retarded then, user

>It takes maybe 10 minutes to pick up a new language, so it's probably feasible to learn all of them.

The language Ada was created in the seventies and early 80's by the US Department of Defense because there were literally hundreds of programming languages that DoD software was written in reported by an audit in the late '60s.

There are thousands of already dead programming languages. You will never get to learn even the names of all programming languages.

or I just don't count it as learned after writing fizzbuzz

how many more rare Kyoukos can you post?

I don't even try, I remember the concepts/logic and keep the language spec and Google open for reference. Even shit like "which side is the type on" gets hard to manage when you use different languages often. Does this language put dest first or src first for arguments? Is this syntax legal? Do I need a semicolon here?

I feel like the semantics aren't the important part, it's just the means for you to invoke what you want from the machine. When are you not going to have language or library documentation on hand anyway, you can even get it inside your editor while you're writing.

how do people even pick such a good shots of anime girls, this gif is so simple yet i can watch it forever, its just cute and give me good feel, i can never get a right screenshot or cut a nice webm am i retard?

I like candid footage of girls eating but it makes me embarrassed to admit it

if you have good understandig of c/c++ you WILL understand any shit c#/java/js and other shit have to show you because you know how it works on lower level

are you fucking retarded?

just hang out in /c/ and you'll get lots of them user

why?
Let me give you simple example.
I was learning JS as my first language (yes i think brain damage done by that is still there)
It took me some time to actually get how passing by refference/value works.
In c++ as soon as i finished reading about pointers i realised that i would never have any trouble understanding what is reference/value it would be obvious without any explanation.
And there is many other examples, where you simply know how that piece of abstraction works because you saw how you can implement it in c++ so you don't waste any time learning it.

1 low level language (ie. assembly)
1 compiling language (ie. C, C++, D, Java, Rust)
1 scripting language (ie. Python, Ruby, Lua, Julia)
1 web development language (ie. JavaScript)
1 shell script language (ie. bash, fish)

Total = 5 programming languages.
That's roughly the total number of programming languages you need to know in your daily life as programmer.

so you are retarded and dunning-krugering hard

I can post perhaps the least rare Kyouko

How many different programming languages do you think there are?

As I mentioned here () there are a lot of programming languages.

According to this list, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_list_of_programming_languages, there are 48 different TYPES of programming languages. Now how many different programming languages do you think there are, and if its feasible to learn all of them?

drop the low level language (that shit is done in C(++)) and split off JITs (C#, java)

For years I've been debating learning x86 assembly because I don't see a practical benefit outside of reverse engineering, even for embedded stuff I've worked on I've used C and any inline ASM is usually part of some documentation explaining each operation anyway. With people shitting on x86 compared to other things like MIPS and ARM, saying it's bloated and complicated, I just can't see any reason to invest the time.

I know some people use it when debugging but I've never seen the need for that either, the functionality built inside languages and debuggers like lldb and gcc have always been enough.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something though, do most people learn it just for academic reasons?

>if you have a good understanding of driving a car you WILL understand how to fly a plane

Very few if you go without references, a lot more if you use references.

>academic only reasons
Plenty of practical reasons, such as compiler optimization to avoid branch prediction misses or to ensure cache friendly code. Standard compiler optimization usually does things the safe way, so if you want to write an FPGA for say, financial/HFT then you want assembly knowledge to write your own optimizations.

This course covers x86 assembly cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html

+1

low level is a recommendation for those who want to develop things related to kernel, compilers, microcontrolers, and tasks requiring fast processing algorithms. Of course depending on your specialization area some languages may be useless, ie. a web developer may not need to know a low level or compiling language.

Unless they are doing WebAssembly, you can write websites in C now and use your low level asm knowledge to check the WebAssembly interpretation or optimize it.

ASM, C, Python, JavaScript, Bash masterrace