What desktop environment does Sup Forums use? You are running linux, right?

What desktop environment does Sup Forums use? You are running linux, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnome-look.org/browse/cat/134/ord/latest/
gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/ord/latest/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Currently, KDE. I switched from dwm because it got kind of boring.

Manjaro XFCE.

I'm working on installing systemdfree gnome right now.

MATE with Ubuntu, but the screen tearing meme turned to be real
Back to Antergos, or just disable compositing alltogether?

Budgie

Just Unity. I'm waiting for 18.04 to give GNOME a fair try. I didn't like it before, but I'll let them work on it for a bit and see if the experience works.

If it doesn't work for me, I'll hop to Xfce or KDE. Not sure which yet. Screen tearing seems to be pretty bad in Xfce even with comptonon Intel integrated stuff.

I like KDE but I keep coming across a specific bug that drives me nuts on dual monitors.

Xfce, Debian 9.3. Pretty snappy on 8gb ddr3 and a oc'd 1090t.

I used Leddit spacing. Brb gonna go kill myself.

>Screen tearing in 2018
The absolute state of free software.

Are you using proprietary nvidia drivers?

Nope Windows 10 boi.

>You are running linux, right?
O-of course. What else would you run? Windows? lol!

Phanteon (elementaryOS) / Explorer (Windows 7) on desktop
Aqua (macOS) on my laptop

Nah, I didn't have to bother with any drivers, all included with the kernel during install
I'm on integrated IntelHD graphics on an old laptop
Is it the windows manager perhaps? I've never had a screen tearing problem with any distro before going to Ubuntu just recently

Ah, not sure, I have had the problem for a while, but recently have been doing pic related. But this is specific to the nvidia drivers, perhaps you can find a way to do something similar with Intel drivers. This completely eliminates tearing. I'm using Kubuntu.

Eh, I was trying to show the "Force Composition Pipeline" option, forgot to mention it. It is called this in the xorg.conf as well.

Don't use a DE. Just a WM

MATE can't work without tearing, get used to it.

This

what is wayland

xfeces 4 lyf

I've been using KDE on my Thinkpad T420 w/ Manjaro and I really like it, except sometimes it locks up for 20 seconds or so and either Firefox or Discord crashes and restarts. I think it may be Discord as it was built from the AUR and has libc++ as a dependency (unsupported in Manjaro) so I may switch to Linux Mint with KDE and see if that changes anything. That would probably be better anyway since I can use .deb files and tar balls are sometimes more of a hassle when I want something to just werk and I don't have the time to fiddle with it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Aqua

You could try the compton compositor instead of the stock one.

Fucking apple

AAAAHAHHAHHHHHHAAAA

Manjaro Budgie but I'm considering re-installing

I's from my custom theme... Can't figure out how to fix it.
Bugs the hell out of me

Too bad you can't just patch Aqua

Use Compton! That pretty much solves all screen tearing on any DE, any hardware, any drivers that I've ever seen thrown at it.

Good lord that icon pack is autismal.

What is Sup Forums‘s thoughts on Cinnamon? I have been using it with Linux Mint for the past two years and I really like it. It looks good and is highly functional imo. It just werks. I tried KDE and I don’t like it, I’m not big brained enough to rice it.

I have been wanting to try a big boy distro and I have settled on Manjaro after trying a bunch in VMs. However, I still can’t decide what DE to pick. I have narrowed it down to Budgie, Cinnamon, or XFCE. XFCE is abandonware so I probably won’t pick it even though it’s nice. I would pick Budgie because I really like it but I want to wait tell they release the QT version. Cinnamon is good but it has bugs.

Thoughts?

I've been trying lately to find some DE to open my mind about them but I can't find one that doesn't give me an issue or feels comfortable.

Back to i3 I guess.

Budgie because GNOME kept shitting when I go to lock the computer

That's odd..
Budgie shits itself when I bring my laptop out of sleep.

Bloat

Explain

Screen locking != sleeping

gdm took almost 45 seconds to present the login screen (due to the fingerprint reader afaik). Also gnome caused a kernel panic when I tried to watch something bigger than 720p.

Normally budgie is shit, but not this time, oddly.

Surprisingly, it werked.
Any difference between Marco+Compton and Metacity+Compton?
Doubt it matters all that much since Compton will be doing the compositing (if i understand this right), just asking to be sure

Windows 10, like all normal human beings

I think it's because compton uses vsync.

>falling for the chinese botnet deepin meme

Cinnamon it's good, but I recommend you to not use mint

Started on Unity -> Xfce -> Gnome -> KDE.

This is all on Arch, fwiw:
KDE, longtime user. I fucking hate it sometimes, but it's better than Gnome. XFCE is a bit too simple for my tastes, Cinnamon is comfy but not really worth the effort in switching to, and MATE just feels dated.
That's about all I've tried so far as the major options go. There are a few tiling managers that I dabbled with, but I prefer the near-Windows experience that KDE affords me.

Manjaro i3 of course

This

Cinnamon on Arch
It works beautifully, is super flexible and customizable, doesn't cause any issues for me like Gnome or KDE do, its window manager Muffin fits my needs and the expo plugin is absolutely perfect when used together with hot corners or hotkeys.

i3wm master race

lxde, obviously.

My peers literally decided to run machines with XFCE instead of LXDE just because it has more fucking support and teaching pajeets LXDE would cost more money in the long run.

Literally choosing shekels over efficiency, I get it, but fuck man why would people in the linux community decide to just join the fucking hype train instead of supporting the truest lightweight there is.

Literally stock xubuntu eats 600mbs of ram.

This!

LXDE core hasn't been updated in a LONG time, and doesn't provide many benefits over XFCE, which is under active development.
It has also been deprecated, with LXQt being the new focus of the LX team.

>stock xubuntu eats 600mbs of ram
>2018
>worrying about 600 mb(!!!) of ram
what are you? poor?

>lxde
>not just openbox
you plebs disgust me

MAH NIGGER

Manjaro KDE on laptop
Xubuntu 17.10 on desktop

> XFCE is abandonware
You are wrong. Xfce release cycles are long since there are too few people work on it. But they work and they have a lot of progress. I'm using Xfce 4.13 now and I can say it's quite usable.

Deploying 100 computers to a educational institution that will have 2 GBs of ram on each computer.

Uh, it's just educational systems.

>2 GBs of ram
that's plenty for xfce and any sane educational programs you could possibly wan to run dumbass, unused ram is wasted ram

>Is it the windows manager perhaps?
Maybe. When I was trying stuff out Cinnamon had awful tearing, tried i3 (same drivers and everything) and no tearing whatsoever.

>You have the use exclusively openbox, and not openbox along with other useful utilities.
Why are you even using a graphical interface, autist?

Budgie on Solus.

Budgie

>useful
kek

KDE

Just works.

Garbage

Antergos + cinnamon

How are you using 4.13? I though 4.12 was the latest

i3 or ssh + tmux. MATE usually when I need a gui for some reason.

xfce for the longest time, recently trying kde, i dont like it but ill stick with it since it function better

I've been using Cinnamon since Mint first introduced it. It's improved by leaps and bounds over how it was originally. I'm using Manjaro Cinnamon right now and it works pretty well.

>i3
Enjoy your shitty tiling.

Default Windows 10. Never even changed my background

GNOME

this is better

KDE Plasma, but depending on what do you need GNOME is also comfy.

This is the shittiest OSX linux theme I've seen in a while...
1/10 at least you tried...

Anything but windows 10

>furfox

Finder on OS X, GNUstep on OpenBSD and Linux.

openbox + tint2

Manjaro i3-gaps

This looks like you went to 2005 and told people what current macOS and Windows are like and they combined them. What an abomination

KDE, because I like having options.

lumina

Xfce on Debian stable

I set it up, it werks, I don't have to fuck with it for two years.

Currently Gnome, only thing I could get to work with HiDPI.

Work: Gnome because it's default standard on linux for debian/fedora
/ubuntu
It's possibly to do some "ricing" with gnome plugins.
Home: Sway/Wayland(former i3/Xorg)
I was able to import my i3 dotfile (.config) and now my monitor and gpu are synced without screen distortions with moving terminals while rendering. (mpv for example)

GNU/Shepard or sysvinit-core?

Does Debian really have a "default standard"? Last time I installed it the installer was like "here's some DEs, pick which one you want"

i3
I use 3 monitors which makes it nice, don't typically have to have workspaces that aren't visible.

Debian's "Desktop" standard.
Debian isn't meant to use Xorg by default. It was originally a LTS server distro.
ie headless netinstaller.

On the GUI they wanted by default (if you didn't choose another option) to choose gnome since it's now the most backed DE which reduces work load for bug hunting.

no issues with gnome and its comfy as anything.

Also It's probably because I'm using the Buster installer which is technically testing.
I don't think Stretch(stable) installer has that yet.

Prepare for extra comfyness.
GTK3 Themes.
gnome-look.org/browse/cat/134/ord/latest/

Gnome Shell themes.
gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/ord/latest/
There's also GTK2, GRUB, GDM to get a universal theme from boot to userspace.
(I personally use dark themes to reduce eye strain at night for long sys admin hours.)

Do you have screen tearing?

I have Solus Budgie on my ThinkPad W530