Is there a way to connect and make two identical PCs act as one, or work together in parallel on a single task?

Is there a way to connect and make two identical PCs act as one, or work together in parallel on a single task?
Sort of like a RAID-0 but for PCs and not just drives?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster
southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know at least ARM has this feature. YOu can try it out on raspberry pis or similar machines.

They let kids post on here? Yeesh.

There’s something in the gaming world called ‘double boxing’ I think it’s called.

Was more common in the WoW scene. But you have one computer controlling two, so you have two characters you’re playing as with mirror movements.

Not sure if it helps but may get you started

Its called clustering and you were answerd in the /sqt/ thread the other day

Not the same as sharing a task into discrete workloads among multiple machines.

OP you don't see this in mainstream OSs, I believe IBM System Z can do it though. They also have a redundancy mode for verifying operations are completed correctly by running it on multiple boxes. You can light one on fire in the middle of a request and it will still complete it.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

You're looking for SSI environment. There are some available (openSSI, openMosix, ...)

Ultimately less efficient than rewriting your program to naively understand the cluster with MPI etc.

yes op as someone else has said it's called "clustering". the basic idea is you have a controller, or a machine that distributes work to nodes, each node uses it's local resources to do work for the controller and sends the answers back to the controller. this is mainly used for number crunching or cracking encryption.

google beowulf clusters, it's pretty easy to get going and it scales well, for instance when I was doing testing with this I had 6 pentium 4 machines as nodes and the time it would take to do a certain amount of work was roughly 6 times shorter than it would take one machine to do the same task... remember your network will be your slowest link.

everyone says that. have you actually tried to install it? even find the software for it? the project was renamed several times and then abandoned.

i wonder why.

>parallel
>single task
no, you can only accelerate things this way if your task can be split into multiple smaller tasks

Do you want an actual real time Split of resources
>Say a program that can handle being hosted in 2 different machines that can take up both of their processing power.

Or

>The same program running on 2 separate computers and the mouse and keyboard inputs being mirrored on both machines.

How about you just buy i7 8700k or ryzen 1700x

this is actually called distributed computing.

clustering usually refers to infrastructure that's designed to implement high availability with features like failover, migration, and replication.

first

Unfortunately for you that's application dependent and not OS or hardware dependent.

The most common way to cluster PC's for distrubuted processing for programs that support it is via network cards.

Its called writing you own software.

Beowulf cluster is just a word meaning "Cluster of commercial grade hardware", it's not actually software, silly.

Yes.
Here is an article about doing it with raspberry pi's but you can do it with any computer really.
southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm

Windows server has this clustering feature. Basically means that once configured services running on the cluster (IIS being most common) will stay online even after 1 or more nodes (servers in cluster) are offline due to maintenance or other issues. Thus to the end user the web sites are still online/available. So if you got 4 nodes (servers) in a cluster, you can have 3 of them down and still maintain service.

This folks, it's distributed computing.

Also for something similar but very esoteric checkout Plan 9 by Bell Labs.

only fat pedo weeaboo neckbeard faggots use clusters

I want to do something like this but with chink pi's.
dunno if it will work though

Failover clustering isn't the same as load balacing or distributed computing as op requests

maybe stop ignoring the Plan9 threads, retard OP

climbers.net/sbc/orange-pi-plus-2e-cluster/

Well shit.
Thanks user

All g.
Have fun but probably drop it down to the cheaper orange pi pc2 or orange pi pc. PC2 is more powerful but PC has better established community.