So I started windows 98 on virtual box.. And I wanted to install C compiler on it...

So I started windows 98 on virtual box.. And I wanted to install C compiler on it.. but I can only access google front page (because IE5). Shared folders also don't work on windows 98. wot do?

Other urls found in this thread:

delorie.com/djgpp/
github.com/OBattler/86Box/blob/master/src/video/video.h#L78
github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

delorie.com/djgpp/
IE5 I'm sure can get there and download it, doesn't look like the site has changed since like '95 lol.

Alternately find somewhere to pirate Borland TurboC, shit was pretty cash back in the day.

Why not just install it on an actually release

using your physical harddisk (can be "mounted" in virtualbox)

thx

I did it! \o/

Get WinImage on your actual PC, create a new .vfd file, and use it like a floppy in and out of the VM

Why?

Why not?

Install RetroArch.

Also, VirtualBox runs 98 like shit, it'd prob run better with a period correct setup in 86Box.

install ReactOS

>not dosbox-x with voodoo chip emulation

install reactOS

Waste of time, that's why.

Do iso files.

>voodoo
>not RivaTNT

>voodoo
kek
>not true color

plebs, all of you
This guy knows what's up.

Open Watcom is a good, open source compiler that will run on windows 98

Sadly there's no RivaTNT emulator.
Also voodoo is good for that sweet, sweet Glide support.

>Sadly there's no RivaTNT emulator.
github.com/OBattler/86Box/blob/master/src/video/video.h#L78
>Also voodoo is good for that sweet, sweet Glide support.
Yeah, there's a wrapper for Windows 10 though.

Still not available or fully implemented,but will be glorious when they finally do.
This and when they get the Dyrarec to work with real pentium CPUs instead of that winchip crap.

> virtualization

lollllllllll

DUDE
YOU GOT A DELL

honestly the best use of pentium3 boxen no one wants is to use for dos-programs, since hipsters drove up the price of 486 machines from $20 to $150

>This and when they get the Dyrarec to work with real pentium CPUs instead of that winchip crap.
That's beyond what I've been on. My current config is set to a 100MHz DX4 with 64MB RAM and a VLB S3 Trio64. Haven't set up a 3D accelerator yet.

install firefox 2.2

github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla

Not using PCem, both of you are plebs.

if no network, create an ISO image from files (use something like imgburn) and load the ISO into the virtual CD-ROM to transfer files

make a disk image with the files you want to transfer on it, then mount it

KernelEX+whatever firefox is supported on winxp

This. You can put all your old ISA and PCI cards in it, and it'll get great performance on old DOS and Win9x games. Add a CPU slowdown TSR for games that can't handle a fast CPU and you have a perfect machine.

>pirate turbo C
it's abandonware and can be downloaded for free

>Should I spend time learning to code? Nah, I'll just figure out how to get a C compiler running in win98 so I can do hello world.

The eternal state of Sup Forums

If you made your hard disk image as a VHD, you can use Windows' built-in Disk Management utility to mount the VHD and treat it as any other hard disk.

Wow! You are truly living on the edge man. Wild!

Can't you install gcc on it?

voodoo is better if you want to emulate late 90s 3D games, they typically had better Glide support than D3D/OpenGL

>running 9x for anything but shitty old games
Use NT4 instead my dude, it'll work just fine with shared folders too.

djgpp is dj delorie's g++ implementation, compatible with 16-bit and 32-bit windows. works with windows 95/98

alternatively, I think some older versions of mingw could work with win 9x. borland c++ 5.5 should also work.

>I think some older versions of mingw could work with win 9x
Yeah. The original MinGW (not MinGW-w64) can compile for 95 OSR2.5.

I heard through the grapevine that win98 is more secure than win10 because of some unpatchable bug.

Don't believe everything you hear, especially without any basis/evidence.

Nobody will give a shit about exploiting it indiscriminately because it's old and offers little benefit.

But 9x is inherently insecure and really an all-around terrible system that only exists for games and MS-DOS compatibility.

where did you get the drivers?

trying to find a laptop pre windows XP is literal hell. I am about to start looking for a P3/P2 shit box for retro gaming.

>main(int argc, char **argv)
>getchar()
the current state of Cuckprograming

p3 shitboxen are great.

What are you trying to tell?

very nice user. what do you do with it?

Heh that pic always makes me chuckle

>wasting time to write proper software for decades-since-obsolete system.
You are missing the point, man.
I was just trying to install as much ancient software on win3 as I could find.
Shame Birtualbox support is a tad shit; should've started with DosBox-X like the other user

Btw, the back-asswards way dos-based windowses handle multitasking is amazing in its own retarded way.

People often say "newer is better" without irony. The truth is there is software that is decades old that does its job ten times better than newer solutions. The trope of "if it aint broke don't fix it" is very true when it comes to software as solutions for problems we have, there is invoicing software made in the late 80s and early 90s as custom solutions for mom and pop shops that would cost them hundreds of thousands for a modern alternative.