Im about to revert to windows for my desktop for the third time. why does it have to be like this...

im about to revert to windows for my desktop for the third time. why does it have to be like this? why cant anything be supported on linux?

>tfw all that permanent bloat
>tfw all those shoehorned cloud services
>tfw advertisements in a $100 os

it didnt have to be like this.

use a vm dingus

just use a vm senpai

W7 works fine.

I'm actually going to do a pci passthrough vm with Windows as the guest once I get my new m.2 SSD from Newegg.

but what happens when it's no longer supported?

Then linux will be better by them.

>the linux desktop experience is anywhere near as polished and functional as windows

not him, but i've been preparing for that.

i've moved my desktop and laptop to linux, and configured everything to my liking. also, i've set up windows vms to run the few pieces of software i still need windows for. when w7 gets canned, i won't be affected because my setup is already resilient.

moving to linux has provided another benefit for me: it is helping me get rid of my video game addiction. since i can't be assed to set up wine for the games i want to play, i find better things to do with my time and linux makes it very easy to learn more about programming and system administration.

there are people that still use windows xp

You would could use this to play better, shorter games.
If you was a sega kid, get the nes/snes collection.
If you was a nintendo kid, get the genesis collection.

You should git gud at linux in the 2 years it has left desu

After dealing with constant DNSCrypt problems I'm forcing myself to learn Windows. How do I learn to use the explorer efficiently? I'm so used to editing files via the command line using nano... and making new files is also harder than it should be.

Option 1:
>Right click in folder, create new... text document
>Open text document
>Insert data
>Save
But now I can't change the extension without changing my settings so the "known" file extensions are always hidden. I don't know why this is default behavior, but I'll change it eventually.

>Option 2
Open Notepad or another editor, insert the data, then navigate to the directory (which is also harder because I have to click on "This PC" then my hard disk then Users\Username\Documents\whateverimworkingon\shit.xyz.)

My ability to use my computer efficiently is basically crippled.

Just get a console for videogames.
PS4 is a solid choice

PC, with linux or windows absolutely obliterates the PS4 in terms of good games available.

Nothing stops you from using Linux and maybe wine for them indie games.
But the convenience of PS4 just blows PC out of the fucking water.
Plus your PS4 controller is natively supported on Linux so that's a massive plus already.

The controller is quite neat yes (as long you get rid of that awful light), but there's still more good games on PC.

>vim shit.xyz
lmao clicking in 20 1 8.

>>it didnt have to be like this.
Yes it did. That's betrayed by your "why can't anything be supported on Linux" comment. Linux hardware support is no longer a "download this patch and then use it to compile a custom kernel" deal like it was in the 90s. There are free-software Linux alternatives for almost all tasks.

But you don't want to use them. You value convenience uber alles. You say you want privacy and lack of advertisements and upselling, but you won't go out of your way to get that. You want things to be given to you without you having to expend any effort. Well, people are willing to do that. Like Microsoft. They want payment in return, and that's where the Windows bullshit comes in. You can't avoid that bullshit without being willing to take control of your own destiny and displaying a willingness to adapt and set things up yourself. But that's work. Being exploited is always more convenient, because lots of people go out of their way to make it convenient, since it benefits them to exploit you.

Your call.

>There are free-software Linux alternatives for almost all tasks.

>almost

LTSB nigger.

WINE was completely obsoleted by the rapid development of VM software.
VMs are reliable nowadays.

the ones that there aren't Linux alternatives for are employment-related. But why the hell would you be doing work tasks on your personal computer? Use whatever things your employer wants you to use on your employer's computer. Then turn it off at the end of the day and go home, and don't touch it on your personal machines.

Just install LMDE with Gnome and quit being a bitch OP.

You're only making this more difficult on yourself.

It's best to learn to get the hang of windows now, since linux will never have as much support as windows.

VMs were always more reliable than Wine you fuckwit.
But Wine doesn't require you to have a dedicated GPU, intel CPU and a motherboard with sane resource pooling and an entire operating system running on top of it.

>Linux
GNU/Linux

>alternatives
We don't describe free software as an “alternative” to proprietary, because that word presumes all the “alternatives” are legitimate and each additional one makes users better off. In effect, it assumes that free software ought to coexist with software that does not respect users' freedom.

We believe that distribution as free software is the only ethical way to make software available for others to use. The other methods, nonfree software and Service as a Software Substitute subjugate their users. We do not think it is good to offer users those “alternatives” to free software.

give up.
use osx.
linux based, actually usable, stable.

I've been in your shoes OP when I was a young 15 yo. I reinstalled windows like 5 times. Just give in.

Install vim for windows and learn powershell