/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DdMdNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/CPCkkT
geizhals.de/?cat=WL-322432
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TcR8hq
pcpartpicker.com/list/nMLwTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/hw8kkT
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/
pcpartpicker.com/list/hxWTd6
pcfactory.cl/procesadores?categoria=272
asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/#Download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I remember wanted to buy one of those cube cases. It had room for 2 motherboards.

Rate my poorfag build
pcpartpicker.com/list/DdMdNN

Is there sufficient difference between the EVGA gtx 1060 3gb and the SC variant to justify a $30 price jump?

Thoughts? Gaming pc 1080p 144fps I want to be play the latest titles at least on high settings 100fps+

pcpartpicker.com/list/CPCkkT

reposting

my current pc had some motherboard issue which fried the cpu. it was an old 4560 (non k) so I guess I now have to get a new one. If you're wondering about the gpu and storage, those survived so I'll just reuse them. Its a 970 mini
>inb4 3.5 gigs
and a 2tb hard drive.
I've always wanted a small form factor PC since my old full tower is taking up too much space where my feet should be. I know that there's a price premium but I don't mind spending the extra bucks
Any thoughts or things I should change? I should also add I'm getting the 8600k for 230 instead of 270

why are all those server grade processors so much new?

THE NAME YOU CAN FUCKING TRUST

So when comparing STP for CPUs, how much does clock speed matter?

I know you can't compare apples and oranges but for instance Coffee Lake vs Ryzen, is most of its STP advantage/Ryzen's lack of due to the difference in clocks?

Or what if you compared them clock for clock?

I have 16GB of ram already in my main pc but i have a spare 8GB stick never used. Should i sell to some desperate gaymer or hold on to it?

How is this build bois?
geizhals.de/?cat=WL-322432

no

They always were dodgy cheap kikes

It's a nice start/10

Downgrade to a R3 1200, you can hit 3.7ghz stock easy, use the extra cash to upgrade to a b350 board. Consider getting a 120gb ssd and adding a hdd later, with only 4gb of ram, you're going to really need it.

Otherwise pretty good. You should be able to overclock that ram fairly easily.

i bloody thought not
maybe if it was $10

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TcR8hq

Pretty much finalised my mid-tier build now, got all the prices including delivery listed. Total of $1,265. Anyone got any feedback/ideas before I pull the trigger? Probably won't actually place orders for a couple hours still. The main thing i'm uncertain about is the CPU price, logical increments had it listed for $185, but the best I could do (keeping shipping costs in mind) was $245.

baka forgot the pic

If you had to choose a single drive, would you go for a 500GB SSD or a 1TB HDD?

Does the brand/model of your RAM mark a big difference? I was under the impression it didn't make much difference, and gaming RAM was just a case of snake oil.

for the price of a 500gb ssd you could probably buy a 250gb and a 1tb hdd

pcpartpicker.com/list/nMLwTH
So I tried running a game from my HDD when suddenly it freezes, use task manager to force close it which then freezes too. Restart computer, then refuses to boot up and gets stucks on windows logo unless I disconnect the sata cable from mother board. Is my hdd kill? my bios still detects it but takes forever to get into it with the SATA cable connected.

pic related

I suggest you drop the cpu cooler and use that money to get an i5-8400. the rest of your parts are good.

SSD any day of the week, just uninstall what you don't use. I'll never go back to HDD

good suggestion user

pcpartpicker.com/list/hw8kkT

here's what i'm looking at for an income tax build when it comes time to file

my old vishera/280x build is starting to show it's age and i'm looking to make the jump.

my only requirements are the case (or at least one in a similar "cube" form factor, as it fits easier on my desk than other ATX tower cases and i don't want to put it on the floor) and Ryzen.

I'm mostly gonna use it for music production and maybe some games here and there (hence the 580). Trying to keep it under $1k, and i already have a 1TB HDD to throw in there alongside the SSD

get a smaller SSD and HDD.

1TB HDDs are dirt cheap (even avoiding Seaclicks and WDs), and both Sandisk and Kingston offer good 128-250gb SSDs for relatively cheap.

the benefits of an SSD are too great to not get one, especially since they're only getting cheaper as time goes on.

The 1600 already comes with a decent enough cooler. You're doing music production and don't need an optical drive at all?

My GPU just died and I'm running with the über intel 4000, can you give me any reason to don't buy a 1060 3GB at 225€ (cheapest yurop price)?

does dual channel memory matter as much with ryzen 3, just wondering, i see alot of tests with ryzen 1600s and above but barely anything with r3s

mountain mods?

It's not a good price, even for Europe.

Yeah is the only one we have, we overpay for hardware and for everything since lel yurotaxes to buy better houses than the ones you can buy working 40 years for terrorist refugees

I mean, any reason to don't buy it?
Integrated gpu can't even display proper colors on my dell ultrasharp

>its a "$50 for shipping if you don't want to wait two months for it to get here" episode
aaaaaaaaaaaa

Nope. Get it.

My old HD 7850 finally died recently and I'm thinking of getting a rx 560/1050ti. Are those GPUs at least as good as my old one? I was going to build a new PC, but I barely ever play any games made past 2010.
CPU is a 3570k and I have a very low budget of 350-400 BGN(180-200 EUR)

Yes

1050ti for sure since AMD new drivers break DX9 support for older games.

2 questions:
>pic related
Is the All in One driver all I need or does that not cover mobo specific stuff like the wifi, sound chips etc?
>before flashing BIOS, update AGESA to 1.0.0.6a
How? What is this?

Are cheapish Corsair PSUs generally considered unreliable? I'm having a look through some listings, and a lot of reviews are saying things like "its loud as fuck" and that its basically shit quality.

PSU is the one component you never ever fucking cheapen on. Ever. Buy seasonic and save yourself the tears.

alright fair enough. i'll bite the bullet and shell out the extra ~$60 for the seasonic.

>budget
>$200

what do

Is it worth it to OC a Ryzen 1600 on the stock cooler?

How much of a difference does it make to go 3.7-3.8 if you can manage the temps vs. just letting it turbo to 3.6? iirc it doesn't turbo all cores but I'm not playing heavy threaded games.

actually budget is $300

Do you think that a cpu like the Ryzen 6 1600 will bottleneck with a future midrange gpu from lets say 2020? I know its impossible to predict, but when comparing 3 year old cpus in the same price range as the 1600, then they are still fine combined with a gtx 1060 or rx580.
I am thinking about buying a more expensive cpu than needed, so that in 2-3 years I only have to upgrade the graphics card. (no motherboard, windows and cpu)
My goal is to just play every title in 1080p at 60fps.

for what

lads please. Do I even need to do mobo bios and chipset drivers if everything is running fine?

No, I meant I'm an European and it's still not a good price, but if you're in a bind at least it's not a shit GPU. I'd look into old stock but still new stuff like previous gen GPUs otherwise.

light gaming / office work / web browsing

>building a computer with logical increments
>using the "great" tier
>they reccomend a 650W PSU
>run the proposed specs through outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
>says at most i'd need 350W
what gives, why recommend so much more?
would I be fine with a 550W?

power efficiency probably but you should always get at least 20% over your requirement. PSUs also degrade

Yes you would.

Buy a used 970 for 175

It's basically the same performance wise

Finally finished my PC build. had a scare last night where only one stick or RAM was in, even though I thought I got both of them in, but didn't apparently.
Cable management with my case was a fucking nightmare though, although that is probably due to me using a mATX case.
Any tips for better cable management the next time I build a PC?

The IPC gap is almost dead even now with Ryzen so they're very solid all around processors now. As opposed to the AMD-Dozer/Piledriver meme years ago, games are utilizing more threads so the 1600 gives you great value overall.

Your other option would be the i5-8600k which would run you at least 120 USD more taking into account the absolute cheapest Z370 mobo prices. That would give you a more powerful processor out of the box and would much better with a moderate OC.

Keep in mind you could potentially replace the Zen chip later with Zen+ using the money you're not spending on the Intel build and spend it elsewhere if Zen is enough. Either way you can never really futureproof so forget about that.

I am just afraid that these cpus are still not strong enough to last that long, so I will have to upgrade cpu and mobo too. If thats the case I could save around 100$ right now and buy a cheaper cpu.
But I think the 1600 will be good enough, I hope.

You are like little baby

Bios flashing is stupidly easy to do nowadays.

It goes double for Zen AMD boards. Memory and general platform stability was fixed a shitload over the course of the year.

Don't be an idiot and take a few minutes of your time to do it.

fucking australia post

false
only 3.5GB

I can't flash the bios until I "update AGESA to 1.0.0.6a" and google tells me what agesa is but I can't find anything to do with downloading it

I'm just out of sydney cbd too so I can't imagine what it'd be for some poor rural fucker

fuck international shipping for computer parts in general, if its not sold in australia somewhere i'm not getting it

I'm about to buy the "1080p / Entry Level / GTX 1060 3GB / R3 1200 / 8GB DDR4" system from pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/ but with different ram, same speed, different vendor.

And I just want to ask before I pull the trigger: Is it still viable?

Absolute poorfag. Need to update a really old pc running this motherboard:
>asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/
Will stuff like a GT1030 or a Ryzen 3 connect? Apparently the GT would because it's PCIE 3 and this has PCIE (2), but I'm not sure how to check for CPU support...

I've never built a computer before, so I'm waiting to see what friends and other people recommend. Are the default pcpartpicker builds any good? I customized one of them a bit to get this: pcpartpicker.com/list/hxWTd6 Any advice?

A PCIE 3 compatible GPU will work in a PCIE 2 slot.

Cool! Is that all I'd need to check to see if the card is compatible? How about a CPU?

Post your mobo model?

No it won't support a ryzen cpu, you need a new motherboard for that, in your case almost a new pc effectively. Best you can do is find a used cpu that is supported by your motherboard, the fastest it can support.

The good thing about PCIE slots is they are always compatible regardless of generation, they will automatically adjust speed accordingly.

If you have room in your budget, I would recommend a geforce 1050 ti.

same please respond ;_;

Yes. The entry level build hits a very good sweet spot with a great GPU, powerful CPU for current gen that you can upgrade potentially, and includes an SSD which is a huge upgrade from an HDD.

All the components on that list are pretty vanilla for that pricerange.

I cant just stick a single 8GB RAM stick in a computer, can I? There needs to be 2x4GB sticks doesn't there?

Great, thought so as well, just wanted a second opinion. Buying now.

Yes you can, but you loose some speed from not going dual channel.

Why no
t. running a single 2GB stick

>No, I meant I'm an European and it's still not a good price

Well, okay maybe is cheaper over germany but here you just can't go under 225€

Reminder that as soon as windows gets PTI patch intel cpu's will drop 25% to 35% performance. Fixed CPUs come in ~1.5-2.5 years. Buy Ryzen.

So there is a difference? I can pay 122 for a single 8gb stick or pay 132 for two 4gbs, if there wasn't a difference i was going to just grab the single stick and save 10 bucks, but if there is an actual difference then saving 10 bucks seems silly

Damn...
>Best you can do is find a used cpu that is supported by your motherboard, the fastest it can support.
How do I figure out this? Could you tell me if any of the ones before the Ryzen are okay?
>pcfactory.cl/procesadores?categoria=272

Its ok. Id get a slightly better mobo though. 4 dimms is really nice to have. Especially if you want to overclock you want a not- bottom-barrel board. Get 2 sticks of ram instead of 1. Get ddr4 2400 or 2666 if it's within budget.

I'm going for the ryzen biuld, the asrock motherboard has 4 dimms, and I guess it will be fine with some light overclocking?

buying a laptop with i7 7700hq, 16gb DDR4 2133MHz, nvidia gtx 1070, ssd 256gb m.2
how will it hold up in gaming?

Reeeee why do mobo manufacturers not include a button on the mono which force updates the bios from USB if there are ever issues this is is. I went to build my own server I checked the website before it said the CPU was compatible with the mobo so I went ahead an ordered it anyway built it and it won't post I checked the website it said a bios update is needed to use a skylake processor. What the fuck do I do senpajs

borrow a friends cpu that is compatible? buy a used cpu, flash, sell used cpu again?

asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/#Download

Is there a USB bootable speccy or alternative. Looking for something light weight. Quickly and shows the spec summary of the computer as soon as it boots to the USB, in seconds?

Generally you'd want a slighter more powerful GPU to pair with the R5 1600, like a 1060 3gb or 6gb, or RX580 in a ideal world, but it really depends on the games you play.

I wouldn't bother with hybrid drives desu, I think they are massive memes. A 120gb (240 ideal if Windows 10) and a 1tb hdd make more sense.

For vidya it really doesn't matter. For other applications (handbrake, premiere) you might see more difference.

Nvm I think I just misunderstood. AGESA is just the amd system their bios is based on and I can flash straight to .6a. 6b is a step back according to many posts on reddit

>want airflow case and easy to clean filters
>all glass these days
>ones that have decent airflow are from 2011-14
>still top $
>lack newer features
>glass ones have to take glass off the front to get to the filters
>4 thumbscrews

why are case manufacturers shit, they haven't improved anything, why is it glass on the cable management side showing off ssd's with cables everywhere

make some cable shrouds or something

I have a fractal r3 but it's a royal pain to clean the filters, 4 fucking screws each one and then the fan is sitting there lose

>6b is a step back according to many posts on reddit
Please elaborate

Asrock changelog states no changes to memory performance or stability. Only significant change is a fix for a specific issue compiling in linux. For anyone else it seemingly has no effect other than significantly increased boot times reported from a - b

Wtf kind of dumbass question is that.

Just look up some jackass playing vidya gayms on shilltube

I didn't notice any increases in boot time on my msi pc mate, if anything, it boots even faster now.

Should I sell some buttcoins for a GTX 1080TI + 8700k or wait for newer hardware?

I have a i5 4690k and gtx 1070. 1440p144hz monitor too.

fuck off cryptotard

whatever you say peperoni face

ill just pump up those gpu prices

If I flash b I can always flash back if it does turn out slower right?

pls no bully im just worried about 2133MHz not being good enough for future games

>People told me not to buy Windows 10 and to just use Microsoft Toolkit.
>Doesn't activate Windows and just installs a bunch of malware despite unticking it all in installation.

Cool thanks.