/spg/ - Smartphone General

5T a best edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OTKv_5iv9iw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My 5T gets here today (within the next 15 hours) I am drooling with excitement at 5:18AM in my blanket. Upgrading from Nexus 5. Is it gonna be worth it Sup Forums? Did I do good?

Yeah well enough

shieeet im on a N5 2013 as well, I think I will get a phone with the SD 845 processor so I can use it with enjoyment for the next 4-5 years

>2017 was Year of the Razer

Place your predictions. What will be the phone of the year of 2018?

Whats the best relatively new phone for LineageOS? I think I am going with Galaxy S7.. Should I?

Should I get a Moto g5s plus (32gb/3gb RAM), Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (64gb/4gb RAM) or a mi a1 (64gb/4gb RAM)? The Moto g5s plus and the Note 4 are priced equal and the mi a1 is $40 more expensive.

Honor 7x: meme or best phone under $250?

Oneplus 6T

>Samsung
>best for LOS
Only Exynos s7 has LOS, and it's probably shit(considering all Exynos ROMs are massive hacks, because there's no official base available like for Snapdragon). Oneplus 5 has official LOS, but it's still Nougat(but you have EVERYTHING working there, even stock camera). Both 5t and 5 have unofficial Oreo LOS, but I wouldn't recommend it for any phone yet. If you're willing to get an older phone, get op3t. Oneplus phones have the best LOS support since Nexus is gone.

Whatever OnePlus you like.
Lineage was built on the dregs of Cyanogen and OnePlus was the flagship for that.

have a HTC 10, want to upgrade as it's a POS.
Prefer non botnet but would like quick android
updates.
Also would like 5" and decent specs.
Any recommendations?
In AUS so there are some band considerations.

>yfw project treble

It's going to be so awesome finaly having decent custom roms with Samsung Exynos king socs.

Best of both worlds

Pic related

I dunno, I guess because Samshit doesn't want Live Message running on anything other than the Note 8. It runs flawlessly when writing the message, it only comes out like that after rendering/saving it.

Anyone else find the 5T rather ugly? I already found my 5 pretty ugly, I think due to the unequal margins between the cameras and the top and side of the phone, but the 5T's front end looks pretty bad too.

True that, I might even consider buying Samsung or Huawei in the future. Oneplus is still going to have a better support - they are literally giving the devs phones for free just so they could develop for them.

Recommend me something that:
>Has comparable ruggedness to the CAT S60
>Is rootable and/or can flash custom roms
>Has a 3.5mm jack
>Has a great camera
>Isnt expensive as shit

Why is there no official lineage build for the moto g5+?

It has symmetric top and bottom bezel height and doesn't have a curved screen, that's beautiful enough for me. Too bad they rounded screen corners on 5t, not as bad as lg and google though.

>OLED
>SD CARD
>No TouchJizz
>No LG Boot loops
>Oreo and future updates

Its not hard to make the perfect phone people are willing to pay too so where is it?

>Galaxy S7
That's literally one of the worst supported phones. Everything it's patchwork and guess hardware related and it's not because of LineageOS, but because of the crappy/non-existent support and disclosure from Samsung.

Go with this instead:
Cheap: Xiaomi
Not that cheap: OnePlus

What you want is homemade. Better start learning.

>Has a great camera
This alone disqualifies like 99% of phones.

When you use change the device storage of a game does the obb data go to the sd card too?

I downloaded ace attorney and it won't work unless I put the obb folder on the internal storage. Or should I just use foldermount?

Alright what about one with a decent camera? Or am I just gonna have to buy some flagship and put it in a FUCKHUEG case?

You know, treating your shit with care is always an option.
And if a good camera is really the most important factor for you then may I suggest you get an actual camera?

I responded too late but thanks. I did see that some didn't work for them and I want to use LTE if possible. So does freedom LTE work on Oneplus 5T for the anons that have it?

I feel bad paying more than 300 eurobucks on a phone even though I can afford it. Will I regret getting a 5T?

Mate 10 or Mate 10 Pro?
Since the hardware is mostly the same, it's down to IPS LCD Vs OLED.
Is OLED that important factor in deciding?
Or IPS LCD will do fine?

Why people hate android 8.0?

The only new "feature" is a shitty new emoji design.

>may I suggest you get an actual camera
Ive been toying with this idea but need to do my research, or if you have a recommendation?

>treating your shit with care is always an option
I treat everything I own with care. Its just this phone has given me a bunch of problems.

So they're triggered by the new emoji?

What the fuck do you do with your phone?
Just treat it like any other valuable item you have and don't just randomly toss it across the room and you will be fine. Just dropping it once or twice isn't going to destroy a modern phone anymore.
The CAT phones are made to be used at construction sites and the like where they are constantly exposed to dust, dirt, and the chances some dumb highschool dropout randomly decides to rest bricks ontop of them are fairly high.

Depends on how you're gonna use it.
For taking up photography as a hobby or just having a camera with you for snapshots whenever you do stuff?

Pls help.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are a few things that bother me about the Oreo release.
First, they added pretty much no new features into the os. There is literally not a single thing I can think of that works on Oreo, that I couldn't do before.
Second, is that android emojis were cute and very unique. I don't even use them at all, but the new ones look like they were ripped straight from iOS.
Third, nothing about this update warrants an entire version number change. Lollipop was up to 5.1, which is fine since it actually changed a lot from KitKat. Marshmallow should have been 5.2, nougat 5.3, and Oreo 5.4. Google are just pumping out higher version numbers to catch up to iOS.

What smart phone would you recommend for a beginner who's looking to start light and then edge their way up to being an enthusiast? I at least want one that could emulate shit. Camera is not so important, but on-screen life is.

Enthusiast does not mean dropping an obscene amount of money on a phone. People that buy flagships are usually just retarded with their money.

Pixel 2 XL has easily the best battery life out of any smartphone so that.

Well I was thinking of making my limit $250-$300. Is that too much?

Once you go oled you don't really want to go back to lcd.

youtube.com/watch?v=OTKv_5iv9iw

>No headphone jack
This is what makes me hesitant of their phone. Rather get the OG pixel XL instead

>What the fuck do you do with your phone?
I work with it user. Im a heavy equipment mechanic

just for snapshots

>use one plus one for the last 3 years
>great phone for $300 new
>time to upgrade
>hope One Plus still has the same pricing model
>5t is $500

welp, is there anything new phone out there for 300 that would be an upgrade to my opo?

>Google are just pumping out higher version numbers to catch up to iOS.
You mean microsoft, they're the one that skipped on Windows 9.

That's a good budget.
Phones have an issue of diminishing returns. For example, compare the moto g5+ to something like an iphoneX. The iPhone is literally 5 times as expensive, but no one is getting anywhere near 5 times the usability or enjoyment out of it.

>they're the one that skipped on Windows 9
Wasn't that because of the way the programmed the OS conflicting with entries about Windows 95 or something?

Just get the regular 5 and use a student discount

>student discount
You can get a student discount for smartphones?

If you don't have any yet you seriously need to grab a pair of bluetooth headphones. The missing jack is literally not a problem, it won't be much longer until only really obscure hipster phones will have one.

Then get a mirrorless. That's about the only advice I have.

That's why I'm concerned.
My current phone is a really old nokia with OLED screen, and I'm very used to it.
But back then burn in wasn't a big issue because you didn't use the phone for everything.

Oneplus has a student program discount. Don't know about other phones

Not that user, but I'm curious how the battery is on most bt headphones. How long do they last, and how long do you have to charge them for?
I probably use headphones for 6-8 hours a day so it would be a pain in the ass if they didn't last that long.

>the moto g5+
I have been hearing about this phone and it seems to be a reasonable price. I see however that it has 2GB of RAM and also only 32GB of memory. From my research, I have heard most phones don't support external sD cards for apps, and from my experience with computers, 2GB of RAM is pretty bad.

Are these things really something to be worried about with that model?

There is literally no reason for the phones not having a headphone jack. I don't wanna buy some wireless headphones when I already got ones that aren't.

I live in germany (I am non-german but been here long enough) and I want to upgrade from my moto g xt1032 potato. As my potato phone is getting rather old, I desperately need an upgrade.

Requirements
- better than avg. camera
- w. headphone jack
- around 500 EUR or less
- any size
- durable
- aesthetic
- non-bloaty
- perhaps w. carrier (been using prepaid so far)

General usage would be just using it as a phone and perhaps for listening to music on the go. A good camera would be nice to have. Any suggestions are welcome, especially from any Bernd's that are here.

The internals have been redesigned so that left less time for UI innovation.

There is another version with 4gb ram and 64gb storage. I think it's around $40 more.

I'm pretty sure OP5 has better battery.

unless you're playing heavy vidya then it's not really necessary. it's a good phone if you're using mostly social media or other non heavy apps. if you're that worried about Ram, get the Moto G5S+ since it has 4GB RAM and 64 GB memory

Best compromise (besides phone + case) would be some Samsung Active probably.

What's the best Phone I can buy for 200 Euro (Amazon Germany)?

Thanks. Probably going with OnePlus 5 then.

Oneplus 5T

What's a good sub-300 phone that has a larger screen size, like 6-8 inches diagonal?

Amazon Fire

>amazon fire
>phone

>6-8 inches
>phone

I'm desperate for a new phone lads, my main priorities are good battery life and music capabilities. Something with aptx hd preferably.

I don't like huge screens, and don't need a massively high resolution display. An SD card slot would be best to store large amounts of music on, and I'm partial to stock android.

Will be using it in the UK on whatever network gives me the best deal.

Any recommendations?

According to some reviews OnePlus 5 has wifi connection issues. Any experiences with it?

I think they fixed it by now

So.. OnePlus 5 or 5T?

if you want 5 you need it from resellers, Oneplus in official distribution will sell you only 5T
if the price difference is insignificant, take the 5T easily

5 unless you have (((bezelless))) autism.

it's the future man

Instead of bezel you get software buttons and lose the most conveniently placed fingerprint scanner for muh fake bezelless. It's sheer autism until they realize the bottom bezel should stay like it is on 5 and only shrink the top one.

Thats it. I have just ordered OnePlus 5 for 549 euro - the 6GB version.

What's the best custom rom for the Redmi note 4

I also updated from a Nexus 5 last week.
Absolutely loving it.

Still not sure what to use all that power and ram on though.

This is literally what I did, got a Pixel XL because almost everything new had its headphone jack removed

Is there anyone that is serious enough to use a wired headset with an adapter?

I like the fingerprint scanner on the back so much.
Coming from a phone that didn't even have one, but it just feels natural.

Only two things I dislike about the 5T so far, vibration is rather weak, and the front facing camera reflects light so it sometimes looks like the notification light is on at a glance and I have to look twice to make sure.

Can Moto G5S+ be rooted at all?

Samsung has 20% off if you use Unidays

When is Moto G6 series coming?

please don't post pictures of me without my permission

It's only rounded in software and rom could have normal corners

5 for slightly better battery, telephoto lens and hardware buttons.
It's a retarded meme.

S8 is better and I got it for cheaper than the 5t @ $300 usd :)

>touchjizz
>no custom ROMs
Unusable.

the seller got it for $0

Nah it was new and from a legit 3rd party phone booth who lost money on it lol

Yeah I'll probably either get the OG or Oneplus 5T. I'm not gonna get some wireless headphones just because every flagship phone decided to remove shit because money

Best phone under $250, for burgers at least

Mi A1 if you care about camera, Note 4 if you just want god tier battery

Moto Z2 Play / Force

Literally any phone with a rugged case made for it

Honor 7X, Moto G5+ / G5S+, several Xiaomi phones

Moto G5 Plus

Mi Max 2

Sony XZ1 Compact

Why would you do that when the OP5T is 499€?