Ground Loop

What's the best way to get rid of ground loops for PC audio systems?

>inb4 ferrite ring meme

I hate ground loops so goddamn much

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MICROHD-Hum-Destroyer-HD400/dp/B000KUD2G4
youtube.com/watch?v=fV_hsFK1MnA
v2.stereotimes.com/post/bybee-active--room-neutralizers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's the best way to get rid of ground loops for PC audio systems?
Not creating any ground loops

Use these.

amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MICROHD-Hum-Destroyer-HD400/dp/B000KUD2G4

You can also disconnect the ground pin but it's risky.

so what, I need to go outside and make a new ground?

Ferrite beads have nothing to do with ground loops.

This.

Nice retardation.

>You can also disconnect the ground pin but it's risky.
Yeh I think I ended up doing this accidently when fiddling with a shit 3-way plug. Not sure I want to risk not earthing some powerful speakers though

Word of warning. Do NOT buy those cheap ground loop removers off Ebay and the like that look like a round coil. They kill any bass. The Behringer is the best value solution and gives great frequency response. I use it on my DJ PC setup.

yeh they look like a meme
thanks

Unless we are talking about some shitty chink shit that does not handle signal ground properly, ground loops happen because of the shielding being connected on both sides most of the time, it's the fault of cheap or shitty wires. You only need the shielding to be connector on one side.
The actual signal ground is usually okay and should be connected on both sides, as the equipment deal with it, itself, unless it's cheap shit.

You shouldn't remove ground from the power.
Audio equipment with no actual ground on the power plug usually uses a separate ground, recommend you make a whole new ground connection for that. Unless you want to cheap out.

People don't always understand the differences between ground, signal ground and shielding.

Cheaping out will also always give you bad results, i.t.e. cheaping out with proper hardware and cables.

>wires
cables*

I got memed into getting one because they 'helped clean up the ground' or some shit but they did nothing lol

>ground loops happen because of the shielding being connected on both sides

This.

Don't. Connect. Shielding. On. Both. Sides. EVER.

They help to clean up external noise or vice versa.
Crosstalk between cables or external signals coming in to cables or going out from them.

I.e. having sound and usb cables close to each other, having beads on both of them can help.

Just tried taping up the ground of one end of the cable
Made the problem 10x worse, all the noise just goes down the audio channel

>Made the problem 10x worse

Then you haven't found the root cause, yet.

>ground
shielding*

Pretty sure it's because I am using a cheap usb power interface, pulling its ground from my PC's noise power supply. There is no noise if I connect my interface to my laptop, or use a different monitor speaker, so I think its my speaker not cleaning up the ground from my PC. Will probably get a better interface at some point which will pull its power spreatly and handle it better.

Use a balanced audio cable.

youtube.com/watch?v=fV_hsFK1MnA

Look at
>Do NOT buy those cheap ground loop removers off Ebay and the like that look like a round coil.
So is this a meme or not?

Did you watch the video?

It is proven tech.

Those are shitty cheap round ones I was talking about. They suck.

Only audiophiles will "notice" the difference.

Just plug all your shit into a single power strip and a single receptacle.

you need Bybee room neutralizer
v2.stereotimes.com/post/bybee-active--room-neutralizers

Don't plug your device mains in on different mains circuits
Don't use plebian home-hifi unbalanced connectors like RCA, use XLR or balanced TRS 1/4"
Use digital standards like SPDIF, TOSLINK, AES-3, DANTE or MADI between devices to break the analogue loop
Don't use shitty unshielded cables

I am no audiophile and have chronic tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss. However I could hear the difference. Those cheap transofrmers kill the bass.

if you want to get rid of ground loops simply cut grounds on all power cables

:^)

I have one of those isolators and they're a godsend. Completely removes hum, and I don't notice any signal loss.

Good bait

Get in isolated ground box, like a Transformer, or even some sort of DI box. What's your interface that you use? If they're shitty unbalanced cables running alongside your power that could create hum too

Yeah ohkay let's get a whole MADI loop going here just for my room. In case i feel like playing my music through an SD7, i have one laying around here... and Dante? Who would have a Dante setup for their room and why? Come man lets be real here, there is some shit interface with unbalanced RCA going to his mains, which is why he has shit hum. Nothing wrong with analog, if it's probably grounded and the cables are balanced.

But that being said don't buy stupid 300 special cable it's all a scam. You know what i mean

ground loop isolators

experiment with ground connection and ground disconnection. also try an extension cord from a different room and hopefully phase. It'll disappear if you find the right ground config

optical SPDIF (to a 5.1 reciever, via ac3filter)

I use Dante in my house, why not? The software license is cheap, you can get basic 2 or 4 channel dante-anolog converters for not a lot and the list of compatible products is ever-growing. 1 piece of cat5e and then you can multi-route lossless audio. Great.