Hey guys

Hey guys.

I'm lending $300 to a friend and in order to protect myself I asked for a valued item of her. Said friend is giving me her HP paviliion laptop (I don't know the specs yet, I will meet her on Wednesday).

What should should I look for in a laptop so I don't get scammed or being given a fucked up laptop in exchange for my hard earned money?

Thanks Sup Forums

bump...

If you don't trust your friend to pay you back tell her to take it to a pawn shop

>her
you already fucked up

Pretty much this
Dude, if you don't trust her to pay you back, just don't bother. She isn't entitled to that money and if she thinks she is, she's not your friend.

Can't you write a loan agreement?

Thanks guys but I've already promised her the money as long as the laptop is in good shape.

What red flags, regarding the laptop, should I be aware of before closing this deal?

Thanks again.

>her

face it beta cuck once you hand it over you are never getting that money back. take a cup of man the fuck up and tell her to suck some dick at dennys for a couple extra bills

I don't give a fuck. If she doesn't give my money back I will get a Hp Pavilion touchsmart for 300 bucks which is why I agreed.

>Thanks guys but I've already promised her the money
No dude, you haven't promised her anything. This is your money. Nobody and literally nobody is entitled to it except with a court order.

If you have doubts, just don't do it.
Think about it, there's a very good reason why she wouldn't go to a pawnbroker with that laptop. Chances are, that laptop is poss'd. Can you honestly say you'd be able to walk away from her (or for her to walk away from you) if the laptop is indeed poss'd?

Check value for her exact specs (look at recent sales on ebay, and mark down as a safety margin because you're not guaranteed to sell it for that price with zero trouble)
Check cosmetic condition (factor that into the price calculation)
Check for obvious defects. Look at idle temps, make sure the screen works perfectly fine, test all the ports. You don't need it to be perfectly reliable, but you need it to work well enough that it you sell it and it breaks, it does so after enough time that the seller can't demand a refund - so it should hold up to at least a few weeks of normal use. If you do find defects then mark down the value severely, worst case you might need to sell it for parts at a tiny fraction of the price

Alternatively you can ask a pawn shop for their evaluation. If you can pawn it for $150, she clearly won't want to pawn it, but why should you have to take double the risk?

Tl;dr: treat it as if you will have to sell it off to get back your money. If these models go on ebay for $250 and this one is a bit banged up, then value it at $200 max. Then either ask for more or be prepared to lose $100. Then realize how much trouble and risk all this is and do at least

>hey user, i need the laptop i lent you back
>i've got a report to write and it's due in a week
>if i don't get at least a B on it, my dad won't let me go camping with chad and his football team friends
>pretty please!

Well, this is an actual argument. Thanks for speaking up instead of scrolling down.

Didn't really ask her why she woulnd't go to a pawnshop, I guess the fact she mentioned "I will give you my laptop as collateral" made my eyes go $$$.

>Hp Pavilion touchsmart

nigger that's a 5 year old piece of shit that isn't worth $100

> I guess the fact she mentioned "I will give you my laptop as collateral" made my eyes go $$$.
Would you buy that laptop right now for $300? If not, you're gonna have to resell it or be stuck with a laptop you don't need, so make sure you won't lose out if you do have to sell it

Thanks guys. You can slide this thread.

With collateral, you almost ALWAYS make a loss. Banks and debt collectors hate selling personal assets, there's minimum return on the second handmarket.
No worries, my dude. Just keep it in mind that if she doesn't understand why you wouldn't lend the money, she isn't your friend.

is it even worth 300 though? if it belongs to a woman and isn't a mac, then it isn't user

Oh boy, I do love
>AMD dual cores
That laptop is slow as shit.

You're not going to see that money again. You'll also lose a friend. Believe me, I've had this happen before.

Post more of this kind of stuff, I've got a chubby.

>o-okay. but you'll give me the money when you have them, r-right?
>of course, user!
A week passes
>she bought a new laptop