wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not.

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT GNU/Linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread.

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/true/true.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Considering switching to Alpine, few things I should know before pulling the trigger?

Try it in a fucking vm. like holy shit

inb4 Reposting WM ram comparison

I included a wiki page

Try alpine and show us how it went. Btw if you are gonna install xorg, use dwm. Xfce works but not a lot of de's work with alpine.

Installation is very very fast aswell.

I've tried Alpine in a VM, works well in a terminal but I never managed to get i3 to work for some reason. You might be interested in Adelie Linux. It's just Alpine but with some tweaks such as a glibc compat layer.

getting sick of seeing this kike being shilled everywhere tbqh

Shit is funny and out of the ordinary. Thats why i used it

window manager: dwm (noborder, pertag, fancybar)
video player: mpv
image viewer: sxiv
file manager: vifm
text editor: neovim
shell: fish
web browser: chomium (inox patchset)
terminal emulator: st (solarized, scrollback)

>kikes calling other people kikes
t, hitler

fish is bloat. Doing it wrong. If you loved suckless software, you would have used mksh

Thanks for the tips, currently I'm not home but once I get home I'll set up alpine on my thinkpad.

Posting it anyway, OwO

and the arch explanation.

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

>OS
Archlinux
>DE/WM
i3
>Video/Music player
mpv/mpd
>Image viewer
feh
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
chromium
>Terminal
xterm

Nigger fuck you. Listen to me you fucking faggot. Stop posting that reddit shit. Fuck your macOS fuck you gay kike.

Seriously that gay fucking chart doesn't cover everything

This you can post. And thank you for doing so. But not that chart, please.

>Seriously that gay fucking chart doesn't cover everything
And your gay chart doesn't have memory listings for half of the shit on there.

And here's the autistic minimalism rant

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

>GNU
>minimalism
WEW
Also alpine has nothing to do with the GNU project, it's not a GNU/Linux.
>OS
Alpine
>DE
rio
>video/music player
acme, mpv
>image viewer
chromium
>file manager
busybox
>text editor
acme
>shell
rc
>web browser
chromium
>terminal
st

Retard what?

Name Language License Type Configurable titlebar buttons Graphical configuration Hotkeys ICCCM/EWMH compliant Panel for window switching Tabbed windows Themeable

Memory (MB)

[1] Initial Release Last Stable Release

>be a linux faggot
>completely okay with troubling yourself with all this bullshit like some scrawny virgin

It uses linux and gpl software. So... idgaf nigger

>Retard what?

Just i.stalled my first linux distro (debian netinst) like a week ago, but this minimalism thing sounds interesting. Any tips for a newcomer?

Read this
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian

OP here don't follow this. NOT good for beginners. Just use dwm and install software you ACTUALLY NEED.

Just because some parts are GPL it doesnt make them GNU

debian = bloat

Post desktop

Much appreciated.

I fucking hate the reddit chart. Ree

Posting a guide to have perfect sound with plain ALSA without bloat pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv

Great minimalists build a perfectly functional system by assembling just the parts they want because they know how to disassemble the parts. Picture it like a LEGO. For example the desktop environment or "DE" is composed of several things, "Display Managers" are the login screens, "Window Managers" are the part drawing the borders, colors, etc, and "File Managers" are what handles how you browse your machine. Then again some of us don't even use some stuff like the display managers.

Once you get to know what parts build what you want you just make it happen.

>Solus
>Arch
>Bloat
I don't think you know what bloat means.

PostmarketOS is cute!
C U T E!

>Solus
>Arch
>not bloat

This.

It's just
xorg and startx, you are in your window manager( dwm is the best wm)

>OS
gentoo
>init
openrc
>WM
dwm with minimal tweaks and using saveconfig USE flag
>terminal
urxvtd
- don't need a mouse to follow links or copy text
- images in w3m actually work
>mail
mutt + offlineimap + msmtp + pgp + notmuch
>browser
w3m.
Firefox for rare cases although I am open to switch to something else because of current events.
>music
mpd + mpc + ncmpcpp
>video
mpv
>editor
vim
>shell and file manager
zsh (is this minimal?)
>image viewer
feh

>>>
> Anonymous 01/02/18(Tue)19:11:25 No.64112342▶
>getting sick of seeing this kike being shilled everywhere tbqh
This

>installs gentoo
>shell and file manager
>zsh (is this minimal?)
How do you not know? anyways mksh,dash, ash . These shells are minimal

bamp

is this the same hat?

> GNU
Alpine is clearly proof that its just linux.
Delet this.meme.

It's a exeption system with GNU parts replaced with smaller footprints. Alpine is nice for embedded containers and people who seek bare minimal bones, please dont give it a bad name by shilling your silly GNU hate. Linux is a kernel.

Use mpv for music and pictures too. Supports much more formats and you can remote control it via socket pipe. Create a profile for images and add "pause". Zsh is bloat.

>os
void
>wm
2bwm
>player
mpv, mpd
>image viewer
feh
>file manager
cd, ls
>text editor
vim
>shell
dash
>web browser
qute
>terminal
urxvt

Who knows but that jean jacket is no ordinary jacket. It's the gucci brand and costs about 2000$ i think

>shell
dash

using dash? Fucking hell. Does history work? I don't think so..

no but it certainly motivates you to type faster

Damn. That's a good exercise i guess.
Thats why i use mksh

>OS
OpenBSD
>DE/WM
cwm
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
sxiv
>File Manager
shell
>Text Editor
nvi
>Shell
ksh
>Web Browser
netsurf. okay, firefox
>Terminal
xterm

install gentoo

gentoo
bloat

more like portlyage

what's your syntax highlight?

This isn't a bsd thread.

What about bunsenlabs

I have a Macbook Air but im already convinced that free software is superior. Would you keep the mac and install free OS or sell it so you wouldnt show the world this consumerist device and get other laptop?

well, i personally just don't like the look or features of macbooks, even less the air models with their complete lack of connectivity options

Is dwm worth a try? Been using i3wm

Yeah, it's like i3 but without the easy ricing. I use the vanilla version, no patches no ricing. It's very comfy

herbstluftwm is also very nice

default vim in that pic :^)

oh thanks :^)

>tfw the only tiling wm with less memory consumption is herbsluftwm
>tfw it introduces retarded tree-based workspaces on top of normal list.
>tfw have to cope with 900kB of memory lost to bloat

nice

BSDs, especially OpenBSD, tend to be significantly more lightweight than GNU.

GNU: git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c

OpenBSD: cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/true/true.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Franken is also tiling

Nothing can top dwm. If you don't like dwm, you have shit taste

why do you like it over hlwm?

hlwm > dwm