Just like that

just like that

most intel cpu's produced in the last decade are rendered obsolete

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 & v6 Product Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor W Family
Intel® Pentium® Processor G Series
Intel® Atom® C3000 Processor Family
Apollo Lake Intel® Atom Processor E3900 series
Apollo Lake Intel® Pentium™
Celeron™ G, N and J series Processors

All will take performance hits

Other urls found in this thread:

security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/4/639
youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests
electronicsweekly.com/news/business/take-risks-says-intel-ceo-2017-12/
danluu.com/cpu-bugs/
lkml.kernel.org/r/927042950d7f1a7007dd0f58538966a593508f8b.1511715954.git.luto@kernel.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how will intel recover?

security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

neet

not sure but i dont remember i ever owned an intelcuck cpu

I hear this one is exempt. In all seriousness this is some death star getting blown up tier shit. wtf

>Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 & v6 Product Family

Where the FUCK did you pull that list out from?

Why would the v4, v3 v2 etc not be affected?

What about baytrail?

I have a ryzen cpu. :)

>security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

why would I care about low power Xeons? All they do is run my FreeNAS box.

Reminder that literally nobody knows exactly which processors are affected and we will not know until the whole thing goes public.

What about westmere?

P4/X300 HTPC coming out of retirement

shut up.

Myabe the shouldnt have wasted $300m on a bunch of dumb cunts who have no business anywhere near a computer.

One of the linux patch assumed that every single x86 CPU was vulnerable. AMD later submitted another patch to disable it on their CPU.

Reliable perf impact benchmarks are still needed. What we know for sure is that it's going to affect I/O heavy workloads the most.

Let's summarize guys
>(((diversity)))
>shitty yields
>constantly delayed 10 nm process
>suicidal avotons
>foreskin-based thermal paste instead of solder in the ihs
>even in their fucking xeons
>unscallable ringbus
>with netburst 2.0 like temps
>massive thermal infernos in their i9 processors
>1 fucking kilowatt overclocked
>the PowerPC 970 and the fucking 9590 look like a candle lit in the middle of the fucking Minnesota's winter in comparison with the i9
>now this horrible bug that will hamper at least 30% of the performance when its fixed
AMD did nothing and already its winning this year.

Yes, they're assuming all processors are affected until they know otherwise. That doesn't mean this thing is going to be affecting 386's and whatnot, that'd be ridiculous, but it's what they SHOULD be doing until they know otherwise.

>the kernel team doing sensible security practices
This shit must be THAT bad.

Someone jumped the shark.

good meme

>tfw my thinkpad will get even shittier now
AMD laptops when?

CES.

Anyone else feeling sleepy? Let's go to bed goys.

There's already AMD Thinkpads.

im waiting for a 2700U (or newer gen) X1 Yoga

its ironic but damn it feels good to be a gangster

What have you done Intel...

They will even profit from it because people will need to upgrade their systems to keep up with demand. This only accelerates their growth.

I think you are confused OP. The most recent Intel issue is theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

You are linking to the ME bug. Both are very serious issues.

Is there a source from intel, or is it just this shitty tech site?

Upgrade to what? It hits everything.

Only if they have fixed their future processors.

lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/4/639

Look at who's CCed in the post

Thread theme
>youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

The only AMD CPU I ever owned was an Athlon XP. I guess Ryzen will be the next one.

>upgrading?
To what? Ryzen?
Are you trying to say that Intel has a strange corporate plan that involves empowering their competitior?

There's already patches for the hardware bug in the linux git, an intel employee even tried to have the patch apply to AMD CPUs that don't have the problem but would still be slowed down. It's real.

Okay why did I hear people say the issue wouldn't affect I5 2500k ?

Is this true or am I fucked ?

You probably are fucked.

for fucks sake nigga, normal users like you and me are fine. may encounter a SLIGHT hit. its the datacenter guys that are fucked.

the bug affects everything from westmere forward, possibly reaching as far back as the original pentium III (LOL)

I just hope microsoft won't do that. Are they still married like they were int he 80s and 90s?

so what the fuck is going to happen to everyone using Intel CPUs? Are we just all gonna have to say "lmao oh well"? Will there be lawsuits?

Not if you play games a lot, especially 3d games that uses directx as its api. Because if that's the case, you're fucked my friend.

If you guys are not gaming or producing music/film on your computers, why do you need high performance?

No lawsuits. But buy AMD from this point on.

>The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers."

My sides, nicely done Linus.

We 2500k users futureproofed so hard that we're literally invincible, user

No bugs can hurt us.

Class action when? I have 8 laptops with Intel cpus sitting in the closet

that's the best acronym ever. "Trampolines"

>Every Intel CPU of the last decade affected
>AMD CPUs not affected
I love this timeline.

Nope, Microsoft has been trying to sniff ARM pantsu for the past 6 years.

We don't know what could happen to frogposters and normalfags using Intel.
Datacenter guys are fucked. Really fucked.
Of course it would be lawsuits. Nobody likes being scammed by Shlomo.

Compiling kernels

Big Data will be out for blood, that's for sure. Consumers are probably fucked, as always.

This desu. APUs are finally good with Zen on them it's all I wanted.
>yfw future low power Zen 8 core APUs on a laptop

Have fun with your stuttering 1080p/4k videos on kiketube.

nothing is going to happen, you won't even notice anything has changed

you're falling for pajeet and AMD FUD over a simple OS patch to fix an exploit

It boggles my mind that people this stupid can be on this board

>slight hit
only double digits user
wait, there are case with multipliers, but those are definitely single digits, like 2 or 3.
or 4

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

Holy shit what will we ever do when this motherfucker retires? I love this man

>In November Krzanich reported he had sold 245,743 Intel shares leaving him with the bare minimum of 250,000 shares required for the CEO to hold under Intel’s corporate regulations.
electronicsweekly.com/news/business/take-risks-says-intel-ceo-2017-12/

Because the performance hit will affect drivers mostly.

APOLOGIZE

every single intel cpu is affected

>security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr
That's for the IME issue, you ass nugget.

If I understand this correctly, the patch to this security bug is to implement an inefficient means for the OS to access data.

Does windows update factor your hardware? The cynic in me is thinking Microsoft will just release a blanket update that affects every machine, regardless of processor.

that's not a power mac user

There will be so many pissed sysadmins giving Intel the boot after this has blown over.

Its hilarious how some people think THIS is about the huge ME issue when it's just another major flaw right now lol

If Apple doesn't change to Ryzen with this, then I will lost all my faith in that company.
>implying that I have faith in Apple

All those games uses opengl/vulkan. Directx is infamous for being a task switching whore and will be affected for sure.

danluu.com/cpu-bugs/
danluu.com/cpu-bugs/
danluu.com/cpu-bugs/

the update goes out for everyone. your CPU determines if page table seperation will be used or not. If they do it like the linux kernel patch they'll probably enable it until your CPU is on a whitelist. The linux kernel update whitelists all AMD CPUs.

>AMD finally won

nah this bug is on linux and windows. suck it

By then systemd will be the kernel

i told you guys

things to consider:
1. a proper directx benchmark requires windows (not fucking wine). windows patch isn't out yet.

2. games are not io bound (excluding networking which ill get to in a sec). your game does its main loading of assets typically in the beginning of a level or at startup. some games may stream in level data from disk but again, these are not intensive operations.

networking on the other hand will definitely be affect (on linux at least). functions like send() and recv() (which are what everyone has to use to interface with sockets) are syscalls. these are frequently used. syscalls are affected by this bug in a non trivial manner.

a real gaming benchmark would attempt to test ping / latency while playing online.

they need the IGP for notebooks. Probably with the APUs.

Look at the response chain.
We have literally nothing to base it off other than the linux patch, which is very unlikely to be exact.

Not that it isn't probably a majority of intel CPUs, it certainly has to be a whole fuckload of them. But we really do not have a way to know, there is no source.

is it still "winning" when the reason is your competitor fucking up?

its a hardware flaw of every intel processor released in the last decade or so

>All this shit before ryzen 2 launches
Fuck, you just know msrp is going to get nudged up now.

Now they will start peddling shit again because Intel cucked themselves out of competition.

Signed-off-by: Andy Lutomirski
Signed-off-by: Ingo Molnar
Signed-off-by: Thomas Gleixner
Cc: Peter Zijlstra
Cc: Brian Gerst
Cc: Dave Hansen
Cc: Josh Poimboeuf
Cc: Borislav Petkov
Cc: Linus Torvalds
Link: lkml.kernel.org/r/927042950d7f1a7007dd0f58538966a593508f8b.1511715954.git.luto@kernel.org

The Ryzen APUS for notebooks already are released and macOS has Vega drivers.
They just have to modify XNU a bit, recompile some apps to use AMD optimizations and they are done.

PRICES RYZING SOON

When your competitor cornered the market with bullshit business practices and then they finally get what's coming to them, yes, that is a win.

Yes, when your opponent was cheating by an amount that would put you in the lead if they had not.

If anything, this means AMD's been winning for a long time, really.

notice: datacenter related companies are CC'd, not gaming or user-centric (like ubuntu).

this patch probably fucks every datacenter over.

It's a very specific hardware bug, they probably have that same IP responsible for it copy pasted into every product since they designed it.

I still can't manage to find an in stock vega 56 or 64 for a normal price that hasn't been marked up double...

with how it interacts with windows and linux. not macOS you fucking brainlet

AMD will be CPU&GPU #1 in 2018

Yes

>there's no source

by this point you're evidently in denial user. TSHT real good, there's no stoping it anymore and your hopes for a silent hotfix have been utterly destroyed.

>games are not I/O bound

I know Fallout 4, Black Desert and Arma 3 are.

get out shill