Linux foundation deliberatelky cucks AMD

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

>AMD is immune to the VT flaw
>Linux kernel developers include AMD in the black list anyway, cucking it over alongside with Intel
>"This shows that AMD's requests are being turned down by Kernel developers. Their intentions are questionable in the wake of proof that AMD processors are immune, given that patched software inflicts performance penalties on both Intel and AMD processors creating a crony "level playing field," even if the latter doesn't warrant a patch."

What the actual fuck are you doing, you stupid fagshits? Stop this fucking bullshit right fucking now and let AMD fucking breathe already, you fucking POS. I always supported Linux for the last 15 years, but this is beyond retardation levels that the FOSS community had up until now.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/aionescu/status/947976055179976704
youtube.com/watch?v=qgiUuTmXyGs
lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1712.3/01101.html
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/145
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c
marc.info/?l=freebsd-security&m=151494508518235&w=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm glad the Linux kernel is open source so I can decide whether I want this patch or not.

If Windows pulls this shit as well the shit storm will be epic.

compile it yourself

It's being pushed with the official kernel structure, you dumb shit. This is not only about "recompiling a build".

Don't need to, it's a kernel option so super easy to switch

I thought open sores was the best choice? what went wrong with l*nux?

This, OP is a fag.

>super easy to switch
Not for big data centers and servers. They're on plan and contracts, so this affects them directly and they can't "jump ships" easily. What this basically means is that kernel developers' autistic behavior towards AMD at this very moment literally directly affects Amazon, Baidu, Netflix, Alibaba, and many bother big companies who already gone Zen instead of Inturd.

Is there any software fix of Ryzen Performance Marginality problem?

It's literally just a switch. Any distro could decide not to cripple AMD CPUs. And if they don't you can rebuild it within minutes yourself.

Intel makes their own Linux distro. Why isn't AMD doing the same? And if they are, why don't they just strip out the patch? Couldn't other distributions also provide versions made specifically for AMD CPUs, like not just x86_64 but for the specific brand?

It is. With Linux you can decide to use the AMD patch that won't cripple your performance. If Windows pulls this same shit AMD users are cucked into oblivion (which they deserve for running a closed source proprietary OS).

>what went wrong with l*nux?
Linus and Stallman basically being maximo autismo faglording retards towards AMD at this current moment. Probably would last for a long time, too.

>Any distro could decide not to cripple AMD CPUs
This is not how that works, kid. This is a direct kernel issue and many custom distros utilize same kernel structure. Let's say this affects kernel version A, for example. Then this will automatically affect any and every distro built on the said kernel A's core. And there's a shitton of distros that already jumped onto latest Linux kernel, the one which is affected by denial-that-AMD-immune-to-VT-flaw. You can't easily fix this by "just changing the distro", as most distros work on same kernel. Not all, yes, that's true, but most of them.

Distros can just apply the patch by AMD so the CPU bug feature flag isn't set for those CPUs. I don't see why you think distros will just continue to use the kernel as it is while the patch is easy and distros already make tweaks to the kernel anyway. Exempting AMD from the performance loss is really just a small tweak (a huge decision, maybe, but still just a tweak).

twitter.com/aionescu/status/947976055179976704

>This really pisses me off. It looks like Intel have used their power and influence to corrupt the open source scene to put AMD at the same disadvantage as them and thus stifle competition.

>People have noticed a recent development in the Linux kernel: a rather massive, important redesign (page table isolation) is being introduced very fast for kernel standards... and being backported! The "official" reason is to incorporate a mitigation called KASLR... which most security experts consider almost useless. There's also some unusual, suspicious stuff going on: the documentation is missing, some of the comments are redacted

>Distros can just apply the patch by AMD so the CPU bug feature flag isn't set for those CPUs
The """"""patch by AMD""""" doesn't completely resolve the problem, as performance hit is still there, it's just 5% now instead of 30~35% on Inturd. Meaning that this shit still sits there and AMD simply made a small workaround, but it's NOT fixed at the kernel level.

>There's also some unusual, suspicious stuff going on: the documentation is missing, some of the comments are redacted

That's just the embargo, sweetie. Just wait for it to end and we'll really see what's going on. For now cling on to your tin foil hat.

in this sjw world we live in nowadays, we don't clap for the chap that can run faster but brake his ankle so everyone gets the medal for crossing the finish line at the same time

>Amazon has employees that manage billions of dollars worth of tech infrastructure.
>It accomplishes this by layers of automation stacked on top of layers of automation.
>They can't automate adding a flag to the kernel boot based on CPU type.

They've probably already done it. Not that it matters. For better or worse Intel still controls the majority of the enterprise market. That's why this is such a big deal to these types of companies.

The patch by AMD is literally just a flag to exclude AMD processors from PTI.

>The patch by AMD is literally just a flag to exclude AMD processors from PTI
It's not being overridden completely. That shit still affects AMD even after the "patch". And this can't be fixed fully until kernel itself gets that shit out.

You shouldn't get so upset honey

I'm talking about enabling/disabling PTI

Why do incucks lie so much?

>Intel cuts corners to get performance advantage
>Intel dominates market for 7 years
>AMD comes back, IPC the same as intel without cut corners
>Massive intel bugs discovered, ME completely broken into and 5-60% performance hit to keep your memory secure
>Both linux and windows devs are bribed to cripple AMD needlessly as well

We'll never have anything nice at this rate

wait I thought the patch was going to exclude AMD cpus

He means the Linux kernel is modified even for AMD cpus while not setting the option flag. This will still have some performance loss. Not the massive loss Intel cpus will get, but still non-zero.

The prospect for AMD is still better because when the kernel folks have figured out how to elegantly handle this shit, AMD cpus shouldn't need to be affected anymore. For now it's just full damage control and playing safe.

Nope, maybe later.

I do not know if this is Brian or just freetards defending the indefensible.

They are just pointing out that a decision by the kernel guys doesn't necessarily have to be implemented by the user because it's FOSS. I don't think it has anything to do with defending because I haven't seen an argument here why it's good for the kernel to gimp AMD, only ways to circumvent it.

>when the kernel folks have figured out how to elegantly handle this shit
They DELIBERATELY put that shit in there DESPITE knowing FULLY GODDAMN WELL that AMD is NOT being affected by VT flaw AT-FUCKING-ALL. There is NO "figuring out" anything as it's a DELIBERATE KEKERY to "even out platforms"! Basically what this means is that 99.82% of all kernel shiteads are Intbeciles who got MASSIVELY BUTTMAD that AMD has a strong win now over their Inturd, so they DELIBERATELY cuck AMD over JUST IN SPITE, just so that THEY could feel slightly better and more "secure" about their sorry asses. And they don't give two shits about the fact this affects ENTIRE FUCKING LINUX USER WORLD.

Switch to Windows. :^)

Calm the fuck down.

>DESPITE knowing FULLY GODDAMN WELL that AMD is NOT being affected by VT flaw AT-FUCKING-ALL
As long as there is an embargo we cannot know your claim is true. AMD looks very confident they aren't affected and that is promising but the kernel devs have to be sure and protect their users against data breaches.

>There is NO "figuring out" anything
Yes there is because this is all very new and the kernel is a pretty complicated mechanism.

>as it's a DELIBERATE KEKERY to "even out platforms"
Source: your large anus

> 99.82%
Okay, enough. Just stop.

>And they don't give two shits about the fact this affects ENTIRE FUCKING LINUX USER WORLD.
Linux folks not giving a shit about Linux folks. Wewest of lads

What rubbish. Hopefully some common sense will prevail.

No, you're wrong. This affects AMD whether you like it or not, and no amount of chest beating will change that. AMD is going to have to get nerfed in order for the OS to be safe.

Out of my current seven custom builds in the house, only two are running on Windows, and those are XP SP3 32 bit with W7 64 bit SP1 machines. Four more are on different Linux distros and seventh system runs on BSD.

>implying amd cpus haven't also been backdoored
kek.

Source on amd architecture being vulnerable to this?

You forgot to enter tripcode and log in, Brian.

thank you based Intel

It's not. That stupid furfag literally talks out of his ass.

>still being unaware of the fact that life on this gay earth is hell
wake up user

fuck off you satanist piece of shit

It's absolutely secure, literally 0 flaws:
youtube.com/watch?v=qgiUuTmXyGs

We are not sure yet. AMD claims it's unaffected but there's still an embargo and the Linux devs haven't really explained why they applied this to AMD cpus as well. Maybe they are overreacting, maybe they have reasons to believe AMD is affected as well but obviously cannot clarify this, yet.

We will have to wait and brace for impact.

>Linux devs haven't really explained why they applied this
See .

Linus hasn't said anything about it. They just hardpatched everything, __for now__

That post has a value of exactly zero. Why would you links this to anyone?

Keep on living in delusional denial of the harsh reality until the very end, I guess.

>stocks already falling down

Why do you insist on this text holding any truth while there is an embargo? I understand you want it to be this way but we really cannot know yet. Just wait a bit until the embargo is lifted.

Has Linux (kernel) been compromised? Is BSD the answer? I've been using GNU/Linux for the past 14 years but I'm not into blind loyalty and if this is the time to jump ship let me know. FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

>THE GAMES hasn't even begun yet and AMD already in strong green while Inturd all in red
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

>Has Linux (kernel) been compromised?
No, it's a hardware bug. The Linux kernel has been patched to provide a work around.

>Is BSD the answer?
No, it's a hardware bug.

>I've been using GNU/Linux for the past 14 years but I'm not into blind loyalty and if this is the time to jump ship let me know. FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
FOSS is about choice. Pick anyone that suits you best. If this hardware bug is the only reason you want to jump then I can assure you you really don't have to, because it's OS agnostic. If you were sitting on the fence for a while then you really should.

Looks like Nvidia is going to be affected as well

>Linux kernel has been patched to provide a workaround
>30~35% performance loss on both Intel and AMD
>AMD still has 5% performance loss even after applying it's own workaround of a "workaround"
>workaround

>calls a SECURITY HOLE in VT engine a "bug"

The AMD's patch has been reviewed. It's going to be excepted any day now.

It's a bad patch, it's basically blocking the patch by vendor-name checking. Knowing Linus, he'll tell AMD to fuck off and come up with an elegant patch instead. Let's see.
lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1712.3/01101.html

>implying any electronic device on earth haven't been backdored by NSA

How can a fucking flag cause a 5% performance loss on unaffected hardware

>Knowing Linus, he'll tell AMD to GIVEMETHEMONEYORELSE
Linus confirmed for being literal fucking ransoming scumshit.

For all I know, they've done worse workarounds. Patching by vendor name is not the most elegant but should suffice without too much complexity.

Because there's no 100% override, that shit still affects AMD even if it's being "mitigated" by AMD's own patch.

I bet the kikes from intel bribed the linux foundation to cripple AMD too.

Wasn't it switchable?

That's literally what fucking happened. And also this to the boot. It's clear as the most sunniest fucking day ever, but buttblasted Penguin shillers would defend Linus and Stallman's dirty phat asses to no end just in spite, just because they're that heavily autistic. Literal fucking retardation. They're trying to unironically justify and protect this. As much as Inturd's shills are downright Intbeciles, Linux user base proven today it's way worse.

Wrong.

Repeating your autismo rant doesn't make it true, fa.m

Stop speculating and wait for the embargo to end. Then devs can explain their actions. Maybe we'll learn that you're in the right. Maybe we don't.

People seriously didn't expect Intel, the company that has violated so many laws in the past to make AMD lose their fabs to not corrupt Linux?

Intel has never been competent. They have just used jewery to prevent AMD from having any success from the past 10 years.

The company needs to die, they have set back so much progress.

>on Linux for 15 years
>just barely realizing Linux is retarded
just come over to the dark side already

>He sincerely and absolutely unironically believes that Linus comes out and openly admits before entire world that he's a bribed buttmad Intel shill
You can't be more of an autistic reality-denying retard than this, folks.

Who are you quoting?

See/read .

Also - checked 'em.

How is BSD handling this hardware bug, fa.m?

They don't give a fuck actually.

would be nice to see the bsd kernel commits related to this issue and to see if they apply it only for intel or for everything x86, like linux

So BSD isn't viable anymore for data centers using Intel? That's harsh

looks like there will be a kernel command line flag, so no need to recompile
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/145

>pti=off
can somebody verify this? I don't have the patches installed yet.

>pti=off
If this happens, then it will restore both AMD's and Intel's performance back on, but also returns VT flaw back on Intel's side.

look at line 926

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c

yep, they cucked amd too

>for now

>yep, they cucked amd too

...for now. I guess they are playing it safe. Just AMD saying they aren't affected is no reason to risk the integrity of your user's systems. I'm pretty sure if AMD's claim looks legit and the kernel devs find an elegant solution most AMD performance will be restored.

I haven't seen patches in FreeBSD/OpenBSD yet, but I think FreeBSD will eventually publish a work-around too. marc.info/?l=freebsd-security&m=151494508518235&w=2

Don't know about the OpenBSD devs. They either publish a work-around too, or they drop i386 and amd64 support. Equally likely.

The linux devs are just making sure AMD processors don't have the same obscure hardware flaw as the processors developed completely independently from them, I'm sure intel's shekels had nothing to with it.

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel.”

so basically what is going to happen is something like this:
>new kernel version is released, it cucks all x86 vendors by default
>everyone and their dog does emergency updates, ie. vm hosts
>the patch which restores AMD performance is merged
>no one cares to upgrade, so even though the upstream kernel doesn't slow down AMD anymore, the industry stays at the previous version because it's a pita to upgrade all the hosts one more time
save this post

Next intel vulnerability soon I hope, then

Never considered this.

>Linux, the kernel.
This has the same problem, though. Like Star Wars, the movie (instead of the book, or game). or Brooklyn, the bridge.

KYS

The kernel known as "Linux"

Intel is one of the largest contributors to Linux, and therefore has a lot of influence and decision power over the project.

Or, you know, just by its name: Linux.

Stop arguing about semantics on core of Linus.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Retard

newfag

No, I was specifically referring to the kernel but you just wanted to paste this pasta instead of reading the conversation. Thanks, fag.

Pretty sure Amazon doesn't use Amd CPUs at all for aws

Linus is a colonel.

He probably means he incorrectly applied this meme.