If the 30% bug is a real issue just overclock your cpu by 30% and it will negate itself. AND on suicide watch

If the 30% bug is a real issue just overclock your cpu by 30% and it will negate itself. AND on suicide watch

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

YES YES WE TOTALLY NEED ANOTHER FUCKING THREAD OF THIS
ITS NOT LIKE THERE ARE LIKE 20 OF THEM

>Doesn't know how computer work.

>LOCKED CPU'S
>PEOPLE ALREADY OVERCLOCK THEIR SHIT

DO YOU NOT KNOW THESE EXIST??

>Intel
>Overclock 30%

HAHA, only a few Intel CPUs can be overclocked because it's not even a standard feature. Even if you manage to do this, power consumption is proportionally to clock speed and the voltage SQUARED so enjoy your house fire.

Buy AMD if you want a secure system that is (now) equally fast and less expensive.

does my macbook win after all?

>that is (now) equally fast and less expensive.
I like you.

I have my locked 6600 at 4.5GHz.

Good for you. Enjoy a 30% decrease in performance if you decide to get the patch

This is the only time I have went with Intel and I regret it, my 8350 shit on it. I'll be going for Threadripper 2.0 when its out.

And another 30% when summer arrives.

they lose the most, since you don't even have the option of getting an AMD cpu

>AND on suicide watch
>AND
FFS intel trolls really are this dumb

No, because you will have no way of getting around your performance deficit.

I though he meant Intlel users first overclock (which is silly in it's own right) and then are put on suicide watch. I guess OP wasn't even joking.

Good point, let's keep this one alive as well

>buying overclockable cpus and not already having them overclocked
this isnt a solution. Intel needs to be held accountable

I think this is the worst thread I've ever seen. Doing God's work OP!

install gentoo

>If the 30% bug is a real issue just overclock your cpu by 30%

>If the 30% bug is a real issue just overclock your cpu by 30% and it will negate itself.
wow, holy shit. is this really the iq level of an average intel consumer?

Why didn't this bug exist until now? Someone explain, I don't understand this whole thing.

If you overclock by 30% something thats underclocked by 30% you get 91%

>pay extra to play overclock lottery
>have your winnings taken away from you sometime later

>buying an overclockable cpu so that you can get 130%
>get fucked in the ass
>loose your over clock and still have to pay the thermals and water cooling maintenance fees every time your radiator rots though
>end up with >100% performance

Brainlet here, I have a 5 year old laptop. Is my computer going to become even more laggy because of this?

Because security problems are found eventually, like this one is. It's a memory leak regarding VM's and VT-x, once found, it's a massive problem and any fixes will never be easy.

yes
how much more laggy depends on what you do, but it will become worse to some extent none the less.

I mean is a pretty big happening for g tards

Doesn't that not affect regular users who have virtualization off?

Virtual memory, not virtualization, i.e. fucking everything.

>he fell for the bait

It doesn't seem to affect gaming performance and video encoding/decoding, at least that's a relief.

I won't lie, that looks cool af

>video encoding/decoding
Should be fine, yeah.
>gaming
Aren't GPU drivers a fuckton of syscalls? I assumed that'd take a hit.

"Guys! Guys! This major security issue, which takes major performance-hitting updates to fix is no big deal! It's fine! Nothing to see here! No problem at all! Please ignore the massive fire behind me, it's nothing! Please disperse!"

Do you realize how fucking stupid you sound right now?

>Aren't GPU drivers a fuckton of syscalls?
It's not that bad, actually.

100% - 30% = 70%
70% + 30% = 100%

I looked at a preliminary benchmark on a 8700k just now and in all games they tested it seems to be in the margin of error. Might be different on older CPUs though.

This. I hope CNBC runs this story properly. Fuck Capitalistic amerlards. Go bite a
Dunno

100 - (30% of 100) = 70
70 + (30% of 70) = 91
You're overclocking the resulting 70% value and the old 100% value is irrelevant

this is not how percentages work

>american education

YOU CAN'T DO THAT

; 100*0.7*1.3

It's all fake news man.

Everyone should math how he feels is right.

u r a faget

rather be a fag than a retard

>Aren't GPU drivers a fuckton of syscalls? I assumed that'd take a hit.
GPU kernel drivers basically just handle memory management, setting output modes and poking the thing to do something with the stuff that it just got via a big DMA transfer, or something like that.
Most of the really call-heavy complexity is in older userspace APIs that present the modern compute-device-with-a-graphics-pipeline style GPU as a completely mismatched abstraction that has to be worked around by both the application and the actual driver.

no need to do that. "30% perf decrease" is only when you do Virtualization. Do you play with VMS? well in that case you should be AMD anyway for the core/$ for local usage and for commercial usage you are probably intel vendor locked anyway so boo hoo, start living with it. Gaming, browsing, office, compiling won't see any impact.

That's with a gimped gpu at the highest settings. You won't notice the cpu changes because the gpu is choking first.

Goys I'm at my wit's end here, I wanted to order new PC parts tomorrow and chose the 8400, will my gaymen performance take a hit? Also will the patch come out to win7? I really don't want to downgrade to win10.
>tfw upgrading PC for the first time in 8 years because the core2duo @2.4 GHz and 800Hz DDR2 ram just aren't acceptable anymore
>video card prices are fucking disgusting due to crypto mining
>ram prices more than doubled since 2016
>fucking intel processors get supposed 30% gimp so basically you go back 3 generations in performance
JUST

amd is affected too turd brain

Do you not understand what virtual memory is?

Win7 is still supported, so yes, but I'm not sure when it's going to happen.
Just wait for a few weeks for this to blow over desu.

>aren't acceptable

If you have issues with web browsing try getting new gpu and using edge as browser, it offloads lots of work to gpu and makes even very old machines feel reasonably fast.

Just fucking return it under the reason of defective?
buy amd shit
and thank the gods that you lucked the fuck out by being within the return window

except it's not

>host os runs vm
>vm is user space application
>vm has os
>programs runing in the vms os are user space applications for the vm
>other vms and programs running on the host cant be compromised by vms programs which run at subuser space, or as Ive recently taken to caling it "userspace^2"

Just wait

>Just wait
wait until he cant rutrn them anymore?
wait until he is stuck with a gimped $400 cpu and $300 worth of hardware that is only capable for working with that particular generation of gimped cpus?
why would you go online and try to fuck someone over like that?
how much do they pay you to suppress all human emotions like empathy? Or are you just another insectiod 3rd worlder that doesnt have these human emotions in the first place?

That's a relief actually.
Browsing is alright although it's been getting worse because of millenial web development, but I'm also getting into PS and illustrator and I also want to play gaymen.
I haven't ordered yet, I'm just still in bargaining phase, the 8400 was such a good and cheap choice and I found a 80 AUD mobo for it on gumtree. So I'm trying to convince myself it won't be that bad. The housefire 1600x is 110 AUD more expensive and I'm poor. Also apparently it doesn't have as good performance as the 8400 was supposed to have.
FUCK
(tm)
user chill out and read my post, I haven't ordered yet and also the 8400+Z370 mobo combo is only 370 AUD which is like $280

>user chill out and read my post, I haven't ordered yet and also the 8400+Z370 mobo combo is only 370 AUD which is like $280
oh, I read it as "I ordered X and it gets here tomarrow".
Im pissed because my cpu+mobo retailed for over $800 and now Im fucked with gimped performance

I WILL FREAKING NUT IF YOU UNLOCK MY i3 4170, WHATS THE MAGIC CODE PLZ

>cpu+mobo retailed for over $800
Ouch user, I'm sorry. Maybe you could sell your PC to some gamer on ebay, people ITT have been saying that gaymen performance will only take a 5% hit so they shouldn't notice or care.

Yea Im seriously considering it. The "workstation" badging makes my dick hard though so it will be difficult to part with it.
Im looking at dual cpu systems now and have been considering moving to rackmount anyway

>0.7*1.3 = 1
Sup Forums math

t. Can't overclock
Fuck you. GET CANCER

Who else here cancelled their i5 8400 order?

YOU TOLD ME, Sup Forums, YOU TOLD ME IT WAS BETTER THAN 1600 AYYMD

>taking tech advice from a Sup Forums reddit colony

Why would you have to lie???

translation ? will it affect gaming heavily i have 6500 it sucks ?

Yes.

It is for gaming. Likely still will be better for gaming post patch

>Aren't GPU drivers a fuckton of syscalls?

Drivers? Not really. API's otoh might, depending on which one it is. DX12 for instance is a lot more syscall-dependant than OpenGL or Vulkan, really curious to see how the windows patch specifically handles things, though honestly I still don't expect much of an hit, if at all.

Last time, you could overclock low-end CPU was in 1998, when Celeron 300A rolled out and could run no problem at 500 MHz literally from every batch.

>intel shills actually believe this
just admit that there's no hope for you at the moment. not until the next cpu architecture redesign.

inb4 Intel nuked even harder for DX12 performance

Which will likely be 3+ years away, because they've shown they're completely unable to produce a 10nm die that functions over 2.0 GHz.

>they've shown they're completely unable to produce a 10nm die that functions over 2.0 GHz.
?

Lots of game benchmarka are out for the patch. It doesnt effect gaming.

I've only seen one and it was a Vega card on Linux. I want to see Nvidia on Windows because that's the majority of users.

Also, testing games notorious for shite performance. I've got bets on Arma suffering.

Intelfag detected

i need a rapid rundown, is the 30% for all processors? are they going to patch it? am i going to get 100% power back?

If the next gen intel processors are fixed and still use 1151 maybe you should just wait(tm), the 30% loss is apparently only in specific cases.
Does ayymd dual cpu even exist?
>inb4 threadripper
>find good ass current gem gaming cpu for 290 AUD
>fucking jewtel arch flaw is discovered
>have to get the Ryzen 5 1600x for 345 because it doesn't even come with a fucking cooler
>cheapest AM4 mobo is also 40 AUD more expensive
>mfw performance is still inferior to pre patch i5 8400

i seriously hope you use computers on something productive other than gayming. if not then i feel sad for you

Im at my programming job right now pls stop projecting

It's not 30%, but there's a noticeable impact.
No.
No.
If they could fix it, tbis wouldn't be happening.

Pretty sure EPYC has dual socket support. Nothing smaller though.

30% performance drop IS the patch. The thing they're patching is much, much worse than a performance drop.

You won't get 100% power back for several generations of Intel chips. Your only option for a fully powered processor right now is to buy AMD.

>current gem
I mean current gen ofc

The bug goes deep into the i64 architecture, there is no simply way to fix this shit. It will take them a couple of years at least to solve the issue by redesigning caching, branch prediction and memory protection.

Intel is basically fucked right now.

>ill use 1151 maybe
How did you know I was on 1151? and they wint do that. They used 1151 with coffee lake and prevented me from upgrading the cpu. iirc it was coffee. what ever the 12 thread shitshow was.

>overclock intel cpu 30% more
>lol hur durr its faster nao
>amd already overclock 300% more
INTEL BTFO

>how did you know I was on 1151
I just assumed you bought either current or last gen since you paid $800 and it sounded like you wouldn't have wanted to upgrade if not for the bug.

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

Can someone explain me how this could affect a basic desktop user (like me) if I don't patch this shit up? I have a second gen i7 cpu and don't want to change it, what risk am I getting into?

t. brainlet

It's not. The quick fix in the Linux kernel does affect both but probably doesn't have to eventually and maybe some distros patch it out themselves with their own kernel flavour.