Intel General Thread #1 - Le 30% Face Edition

Starting this thread to keep all (((Intel))) related discussion in one place, because otherwise you autists will just keep littering the place with shitty little threads.

The story:

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-03/amd-soars-after-rival-intel-said-to-reveal-processor-flaw
forbes.com/companies/intel/
lwn.net/Articles/740393/
gizmodo.com/report-all-intel-processors-made-in-the-last-decade-mi-1821728240
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it patched already?

No

>The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.

No just no... nice try amd poozen shills

>tfw
>le 39% face is 49%
>le % is in fact a multiplier
>tfw 5x slower

intel shills are on the acceptance stage of grief. But they're still downplaying the effect.

>10 intel threads
>OP decides to fix the problem by making an intel thread
>11 intel threads

it'll take a week or so to die down like with the 970

I've been looking for a new laptop with decent specs. I was eyeing maybe an i5 or i7 7th gen if I could find a decent deal somewhere, but it looks like that's off the table now.

What are my options Sup Forums? Should I just wait it out till later this year? Are there even comparable AMD laptops out there right now?

>what is a general thread

All I've seen are low-grade products from bad companies like Acer and HP using AMD processors.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-03/amd-soars-after-rival-intel-said-to-reveal-processor-flaw

Yes, grab a Thinkpad A-series.

The patches are already in linux-git, but have not been moved to any release branch yet.

So should average consumers (Sup Forums) really be all that riled up about this? The performance hit for games that don't exit userland often seems low. I know servers, especially cloud providers, are going to be hit especially hard and end up fucking livid as a result, which is what really matters due to how important they are to the infrastructure.

Kek

Yeah I think the normies (hurr my games not affected) haven't even sensed the urgency here. Multiple benchmarks indicating tangible integer % decrease in performance, especially in the areas where its most critical: IO-bound database services. We all know that most IT shops are already hanging by a thread. 10% performance drop in a poorly-configured postgresql cluster could knock things over quickly.

>always used only laptops with Intel processors
>searching for a replacement w/ AMD
>they all have 5 hour battery life or less

Are you fucking kidding me

Most amd laptops are unironically trash. Wait a bit to see if manufacturers start adopting ryzen on non budget machines

>So should average consumers (Sup Forums) really be all that riled up about this? The performance hit for games that don't exit userland often seems low.
5% decrease in performance means every gamer who's just capable of reaching 60 FPS will now no longer be able to reach 60 FPS, shoving them down to the next refresh divisor (30 FPS) or causing screen tearing.

Yes, gamers will care about this.

So real talk, how big a drop are we talking? Cause this shit's going to affect literally MOST computers

For the vast majority of computers and games, the GPU is the limiting factor. Though ot all of them of course

The 5-30% figure is coming from Intel who have an incentive to minimise the panic, so it may be even higher than 30%

they did it. I was afraid it wouldn't hit mainstream media to remain compartmentalized on tech forums and obscure basket weaving boards.

Yes, and GPU drivers are mostly context switching/syscalls, which is what this patch slows down by almost a factor of 2.

>>The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.
>No just no... nice try amd poozen shills

They should have done this. In fact, I insist. Lolll

Will this affect only Virtual machine cloud something or everything gaming ?

Intel's stock is already down 3% in the first half hour of trading. AMD is up 6%. It's happening.

...oh
oh no

where is the best place to check stock prices

This could be the single greatest fuck up in the history of the industry.

I use quotes.wsj.com. Teletrader is also nice.

Indeed, I believe it might be.

But if i don't want to lose 30% of performance? The only way is to buy a new gen of Intol CPUs and hope that those faggots will not let this kind of shit happen again? Great

Rip Intel.

It's extremely unlikely that they will have this flaw fixed by the next generation, or even the generation after that.

Buy an AMD. It's the only solution, literally.

lmao
Amd kiddies as usual
There is barely any performance loss after patch

Woah this shit might hit $45 before lunch! I'm pumped!

Patch hasn't been deployed yet faglord

Intel was literally placed as the #1 JUST company by Forbes.
forbes.com/companies/intel/
We were warned!

tfw sitting pretty with 4.14 kernel with KASLR
tfw KAISER update this week.

feels good Sup Forums

Has for linux

Is there a JUST calculator out already?

>JUST

And yet they still doubt the power of meme magic

Why did an update titled "intel-tbb-2018_20171205-1" just appear in my distro's upgrade list? I've never seen this before.

Benchmark uses a Vega GPU which has its own scheduler. Nvidia ones don't and they depend on the CPU a lot more, so we will have to see a benchmark with an Nvidia GPU to see if it affects gaymen.

ARE
YOU
READY
TO
BE
FUCKED?

There's been almost four million trades of INTC today so far. That's extremely abnormal. AMD is up 10% over five days.
It's happening

Shouldn't it be "Le 70% face" instead? Just as 56% (or whatever) is for 56% of Americans being white, 70% should be for 70% of performance.

Fuck me, I was so happy with my 3570k for over two years. I guess my next CPU will be AMD.

This bug is only for x86 architeture, right?

This is technically correct, but when the story broke it was phrased in terms of the maximum expected decrease, being 30%

The actual change in performance hasn't been witnessed yet, so maybe Intel will also have 56% face memes after all

it's only for intel

Yeah, Intel x86

No, Aarch64 is also getting the KPTI threatment.

>microcenter has 100 bucks off any intel 8 series processor and $50 z370 motherboards
>buy them on saturday
>hear this the next day
>tfw fell for the intel meme

4770k here, will probably go amd next time around if this shit is still present when i go to upgrade in a year or two

It's only for Intel-produced x86 chips.

just

Intel has served me beautifully over the years, offering performance way above the price I paid! The way I see it, accepting this small 30% loss in performance is just a way of returning something that has been given to me so generously all this time. Please help spread the word and don't fall for AMD black PR tactics, bros!

There's been real-world benchmarks that show performance losses as high as 63%.

What did he mean by this? Does this mean that AMD is going to get GIMPD on Windows because of Intel?

Also, I know low level x86 quite well. Could someone please explain what KPTI and KVA means? As far as I understand it has something to do with branch prediction and virtual memory. How does this exploit work? I'm a 4 year CS student, but I have zero background in security. Is there an explanation out there that I could understand?

They also keep posting the same dumb gaming benchmark with a gimped gpu that hides the real effects of the patch.

Most people rocking a 8700k would be using a 1080 ti. Most people with a lower gpu, will have a garbage cpu (i3/i5) model to go with it.

What about Nvidia?

ARM64 also.

lwn.net/Articles/740393/

>Intel has served me beautifully over the years, offering performance way above the price I paid! The way I see it, accepting this small 30% loss in performance is just a way of returning something that has been given to me so generously all this time. Please help spread the word and don't fall for AMD black PR tactics, bros!

Not sure if shilling, coping/denial, or both

>nVidia
>x86
?

can someone explain this to a moron

how did this suddenly just happen? or was it always a problem but no one noticed

week to die? user its only going to start tomorrow

KPTI is the patch. It stands for kernel page-table isolation. Enabling it on Intel processors reduces performance by roughly 30%. Not enabling it on Intel processors exposes one of the biggest hardware flaws in recent history.

It's likely that AMD will release a driver patch that disables KPTI, because AMD processors are not susceptible to the flaw.

Why is everyone just talking about this now? Haven't people been screaming that x86 is malicious for years now?

Intel either knew about it but didn't tell anyone because muh market share muh performance or they're just incompetent and took 10 years to figure it out

It was a problem that nobody noticed until three weeks ago when the Intel CEO sold every stock he was allowed to.

So is this a perfect moment to invest in Intel stock?

Cheap used intel servers when?

Retard

This has nothing to do with maliciousness (probably). The ME is still a serious concern. But this is far, far more serious from a "anyone on the internet can take full control of my machine" point of view.
And also it'll slow every intel processor down by 30%. So there's that.

>that are worthless

>8600k
Love my new rig.. we will make it friendo

Intel may not survive another year

it affecting nvme, so any gpu on pcie slot will affected too?

This could literally be the death of us "freetards."

I saw generic tech news about this flaw months ago. It only became a big thing because it was demonstrated live at defcon

4770 user here, it was the only CPU in its class you could get at the time. Closest thing AMD offered was an FX-8370 with like a 120W TDP. The ME, now this new bug - the one time i choose Intel i get fucked in previously unimagined ways... If the performance hit really is that bad i might just trade it in for an 8370 or something because getting a whole new computer is just way too costly.

plis user, bend over a bit more, yes, just like that, spread those cheeks real good. you're making me so horny.

Buying $5000 when I get home. I am absolutely sure it will bounce back soon. Easy money.
I'll post here when I get my investment returned with 50% on top.

Nobody knew about the 30% performane decrease until it was confirmed last night.

>tfw I've that same CPU since 2012
Next build will be AMD then.

Surely you can return it.

Same here. Had it at 4.6GHz since the month I bought it. It's really a shame that this is happening now, this was going to last me another two years easily.

will my computer use more power after the patch?

yep better upgrade that psu while youre at it

This is literally AMD best shot, if they can't make it now they will never make it.

Fuck Intel, hope they die.

Are online games fucked?

it's done guise.
it hit reuters.

>tfw I work with big data
This is going to seriously fuck my shit up.

If you play online games and you are over the age of 16 your life is probably fucked regardless

So many organisations rely on massive amounts of processing power now

If the decrease in performance is serious enough, this could trigger a large-scale economic crisis

>offering performance way above the price I paid.
How do you measure this?
How long did you use intel for this to be worth a 30% performance loss and a 50% power increase.

Should i buy I7-8700k now or just wait?

Oh fuck. I bought the poverty-tier G4560, cheapest MOBO and 8GB DDR4 half a year ago. Guess I'll have to spend more money on a Ryzen 3 1200 and a Ryzen MOBO...
Fuck you Intel, I choose you for the first time in 7 years and you do this to me.

INTEL FAGS BTFO
AMD FOR THE WIN
gizmodo.com/report-all-intel-processors-made-in-the-last-decade-mi-1821728240