/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/538164/how-many-instances-of-ffmpeg-commands-can-i-run-in-parallel
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159513/what-are-the-shells-control-and-redirection-operators
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i need a list of normie apps
things like facebook, twitter, instagram etc

Does boiling eggs that are near their expiration date extend it any?

source

I just installed NoScript to Firefox, which reduced Sup Forums to a message in the middle of the screen telling me to enable javascript to view the page correctly. There didn't even seem to be a convenient way to always enable on this site- the addon's toolbar icon has a temporarily allow button, revoke temporary, reload, close, and options. Am I in way over my head here?

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but is there any specific reason why image ReCaptchas don't work on Firefox?
I can "solve" them in the sense that I get the green checkmark but they 100% show as failed after that ever since I updated to the latest firefox. If I'm on Chrome they always work so it's not user error.
I cleared all my cookies which allowed me to get them to work on Firefox again for a short period of time but then they went right back to not working a few days later

Why you have problems, when you could have have prevented that even with more gain but you simply never listen?

Instal vivaldi just to browse Sup Forums...
It has all the functionality you need.

When recording a cassette tape should I be using my amp, mixer, etc or should I be going directly from my source to the recorder?

Use umatrix, it is was more refined in its settings,unlike noscript which is yes or no

Thanks but unfortunately I unironically don't browse Sup Forums anymore. "Browsing" for me is searching for tags on the catalog view of specific boards, to periodically check for new content. Which I usually do on my tablet.

Thanks, I've heard of that addon but somehow never thought to read what it does.

I had to create a Facebook account for work, it's empty and I plan to delete it afterwards, but I will absolutely need to access it from my phone from time to time.
If I do so, will I see the profiles of people who have my number in my friend suggestions , and , more crucially, will they see me in their friend suggestions ?
I don't wish this account to be connected to anything outside of work.
I can't use a pseudonym

I've seen people say that FB can do that, but since I'm technologically retarded and research gives me conflicting results, I hope that this savier board can help.

Yes

Better solution is to quit whatever shit job you work at.

Unless you've got a Sup Forums pass you have to run jscript from Google to use the captcha

What kind of work do you do that is forcing you to make a facebook account?
I'm legit curious, that's the first time I've seen anyone say they use facebook for work things

pihole doesnt block shit for me anymore
i try to change the dns that pihole wants me to and then i cant open Sup Forums
and i never had to mess with resolv.conf before, why is this happening now
i used to use network-manager and it worked fine
help me out here

So write yourself some proxy which renders to noscript.

>have 4 GiB of RAM
>free -h is only reporting 3.3 GiB of total memory
Where's the other 0.7 GiB?

The browser you used to make this post

It's not a legal obligation, it's more than the rest of the team can't use anything else for communication. If I send mails they go unread for way too long, and they don't know how to use other digital means (or more accuratly they don't care)
I can't work with them without it, believe me I tried.
Well fuck

Tbh I don't know what that means- I was someone in the last sqt asking how to prevent ads from opening two tabs in a new window . That second quote is a dude who gave me a NoScript rec.

It seems fairly standard to have, but I will use uMatrix instead. I was sort of expecting an "it just werks" more respectful experience on the net with this.

I said total memory, not available memory you fucking cretin.

How many cats is too many?

How do I change locale in linux? I want to play my eroge.

Unironically there is probably a hard number at which certain places will consider it animal abuse, unless you live on a literal farm.

>2 cat
LOL

It's reserved memory. Ask stupid questions get stupid answers.

Thanks senpai.

anyone have an idea?

what's the point of having multiple threads while using windows. As I understand, windows can't actually utilize more than one tread.

I've been having trouble trying to get two instances of ffmpeg to run in parallel but one of the jobs seem to stop out of nowhere, how do I remedy this?
Here is what I've typed in the command line
$ ffmpeg -i test48.wav -acodec libopus -b:a 256k -vbr on -compression_level 10 test48.opus & ffmpeg -i test24.wav -acodec libopus -b:a 128k -vbr on -compression_level 10 test24.opus
Is there anything wrong with it?

superuser.com/questions/538164/how-many-instances-of-ffmpeg-commands-can-i-run-in-parallel

What does sudo actually stand for?
I know what it does but what's it mean?

How do I securely sign up for a vpn? Seems counter intuitive to pay with a credit card/paypal or does it really matter if they don't keep logs? I'm going with nordvpn if it makes a difference.

Super
User
DO

I'm a noob when it comes to bash and I'm just trying to output the files in the same folder. I have no idea what difference it makes when the > symbol is changed into < symbol.

actually, never mind
I've just read up on why I should output to /dev/null in the first place

How do I make thumbnails work on gelbooru with uMatrix installed? I don't understand. I literally hit the power button on the addon button dropdown, and they still won't load. I realize gelbooru isn't respected around these parts but still.

bitcoin or prepaid card, If those options are available

Sudo, like pseudo. It doesn't actually do anything.

trial and error on which parts of the webpage will make those thumbnails appear

Goddamn it, I guess I should be happy I have the freedom to be so specific but fuck.

Buy a prepaid visa debit with cash in a store. Or go directly to the VPN provider and pay in cash.

got an ssd how do I install windows on it?

No Maki. You will eat your cum coated popcorn and love it.

How did you install windows on your HDD?

Why do all phone developers find it ok to remove the headphone jack and what's a good alternative to any company that decides go take on this BS practice?

Install Gentoo.

You can just cut and paste your windows folder. Your boot loader is in that folder on windows distros so it will accurately boot into the new partition's OS

Just like HDD. Don't format it, though. Also don't defrag. Also install latest firmware on it first, BEFORE installing OS on it. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to update firmware later.

Problem is I don't have the windows install disk

Download one

Where am I going to get one for windows 7?

This is so completely ass. I literally don't understand why disabling uMatrix filtering for ALL of gelbooru doesn't generate thumbnails.

How secure is diskcryptor compared to truecrypt? There's no way to extract the password even if the system reserved space is left unencrypted, right?

How big of an issue is this Intel memory leak? What will that 30% potential performance loss exactly affect?

Coogle

It's not really a memory leak and the performance loss you are looking at is straight up processing power since you will have to mask the Kernel software side.
If you were looking at 3Ghz previously you will only have access to about 2Ghz of that after the fix, if you choose to install it at least.

truecrypt is abandoned and the 7.1 source has 2 giant vulnerabilities unpatched. You should not use it , you should not advertise it, you should not recommend it to your friends.
The continuation of truecrypt is veracrypt which has these exploits patched in version 7.2, and is the only updated source code.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159513/what-are-the-shells-control-and-redirection-operators

Sauce please.

>recent intel scandal
>i couldn't understand most of the stuff discussed
>tfw basically tech illiterate

wat do Sup Forums?

i am a maths major and work in finance. i know basic vba and python but beyond that not much. what do if I want to learn more about computers in my spare time?

top apps on any appstore

Read some books. I'd recommend "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" as a pretty non-technical entry-point that makes a lot of the more underlying principles so clear even someone that really doesn't know shit about computers is able to follow and understand it.

Yes but i was asking about diskcryptor specifically which is presumably still being maintained

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Its called inference

There now seems to be a digitalriver((dot))info website, but until now the most trusted/popular/w.e was:
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
Also remember to: 1. SHA1 verify your download just in case
2. Have your product key available
3. Have wifi/networking drivers ready on a usb stick

is learn blank the hard way still the best resource to learn coding? I'm a complete noob.

Okay but the password is still secure no

Fucking using veracrypt

If i disconnect my internet and want to back up my steam installation and library, can I just copy and paste them to another drive and not need to download anything?

Alright, so I got some lower end smartphone fof christmas, but the board site doesn't actually talk about how to root it, just says some apps need root.
So how do i go about it then?

WTF is really going on with Intel?

I can't dude it's not working on my thinkpad

Thats bullshit

Well fuck I also don't have my product key

Just fucking lurk Sup Forums
Or wait until every single person on the planet is talking about it
I'm going to be having my mom call me and ask me if I know about this soon

Well the pre-boot authentification fails/gets stuck every single time at "Booting..." so it's stuck in a loop and i have to resort to some other program obviously

It varies significantly depending on your manufacturer and model.
There's also not really much point to it unless you are a developer yourself, why do you even want to root it?

Or maybe i just won't encrypt this piece of shit after all i guess, not like i keep any sensible shit on there anyways

blocking ads in my apps.

I have a bunch of hard disks. Is there some sort of contraption that can act as a case exclusively for the aforementioned hard disks? Obviously I need to have access to the SATA and power connections on the bottom back. I tried searching for "hard disk case" and suchlike in G*ogle, but only inane results are returned (e.g. pouches).

You are looking for "enclosure"

Don't use terrible apps that flood you with ads then?

Nigga, why I should lurk 'BUY AMD /thread'? It is like looking on check engine light, something is wrong, but is it critical?
They say nothing about what precisely goes on.

>unless you are a developer yourself,
Adaway
Xprivacy
Those alone are enough to root.

On laptops, the *correct* product key is usually either on a sticker, or on the back of the laptop case or somewhere on or near the battery. Don't know about your case though.
Software like Magical Jelly Bean or Belric Advisor usually provide with something that looks like it's the product key, but ISN'T the actual product key, from my experience.
There must be a way to retrieve yours I guess, just google around for your specific case

>Why do all phone developers find it ok to remove the headphone jack

>Good goy, buy that adapter for only 19.99 and be sure it's our brand or it won't work right! We also have a nice selection of music players if you want to use your headphones!

how do I unlock a phone without paying those stupid fees?

Wait for your contract to expire

cooked food generally does not spoil as fast, so yes
but it probably depends on whether your eggs are American or European. Americans wash the eggs before selling them which removes some protective layer on the outside of the shell, making them go bad faster and requiring that they be refrigerated.
Euros leave the protective layer of chicken vagina slime on the eggs until they are ready to use them, so they last much longer and don't need to be refrigerated, but they might want to wash them before using them.

It will probably make a bigger difference for American eggs.

Whats this favicon from?

Because of the stupid 'thinner phones are better' meme. Headphone jack takes up too much space.

Not that their phone's size fucking matters for anything other than marketing. All the durability they strip out to make it thinner has the end result that you're "supposed" to put it in a protective case that triples its size.

is there a way to manually cherrypick windows updates to install on your computer? Every time I go to the windows catalog and select the update I want, it always gives me an error message. Something about incompatibility. And it's weird, because I try every version of that update just to ensure I'm not using the wrong one. But none of them stick.

Would it be economical to heat a room using only the waste heat from mining bitcoins? Would the trickle of income be more than the difference in electricity used due to your hardware being less efficient as a heater than a space heater or something?

What does winetricks do exactly? If I install some package then it's used when I run something with wine?

Help pls. I got some spamware and can't remove them.

>torrent some adobe thing
>try to install
>realize late that it is not safe
>some apps and services installed that messed up my browser
>ads even with adblock and opening links auto
>uninstall any new app from Windows
>delete manually remaining files from C:
>this doesn't delete
>"You can't delete it, it is in use"
>can't find what uses it
>those 2 services are in the list, can't erase them

What can I do? They are not recognised as viruses..

What's the better External HDD manufacturer?I planning to buy a 1tb HDD as a portable hard drive for downloading away from my house.