Windows 10 patch today @ 5 PM ET

Microsoft to release emergency Windows Update to address Intel, AMD processors security concerns

onmsft.com/news/microsoft-to-release-emergency-windows-update-to-address-intel-amd-processors-security-concerns

...The security update is set to automatically roll out to all Windows 10 desktops today at 5 PM ET, though we’re not seeing it on any of our systems just yet. It’s also set to become available on other Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems, though it will not appear automatically on these systems until Tuesday, January 16.

Other urls found in this thread:

spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd-platform-security-processor-psp
thedeathofxp.com/
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056898
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Windows 7 getting the update

thats right goy, gotta get that update, don't worry its supposed to slow down your computer
its intels fault, not like we snuck anything else in the update, hehe

>to address Intel, AMD processors security concerns
>AMD

AMD users confirmed to get raped for no reason

So is this the update that's gonna slow me down?

WE STILL ZERO DAY NOW

Glad I turned off updates

Still not vulnerable on amd cpus tho. No idea why people are saying that.

>runs javascript
Nothing personal (except all the info I just stole from you) kid

What? Why AMD processors too?

doesn't matter if the OS doesn't differentiate, GayMD users will be fucked as well

Doesn't stop the update from fucking AMD performance until they revert it to Intel only.

And I still haven't got it.

>running javascript
For what purpose?

Why shouldn't the OS differentiate? It's not like Windows can't detect what cpu you're using.

Windows 7 is actively supported, why would it not? It's also used by more than 50% of PC users.

The point is that this exploit can be executed even with just JavaScript. Any fucking website could embed javascript to read any memory in your PC

Is the update out yet

> tens of thousands of users will publish thorough benchmarks tomorrow to show the true impact of this on desktop users

fucking finally
it's been over a week of mostly speculation and I'm really tired of this shit. I want extensive tests and I want them now

So, when will the update actually roll out? Still nothing on my Win10 AMD desktop.

i understand it can, but if MS decide that AMD is 'at risk' then AMD users are fucked as well. MS may well decide to be cautious and apply the fix to all procs, or maybe it has been pressured by Intel to do so.

>it's been over a week of mostly speculation
wew just found out today

see

Is this gonna fuck over my 1600? I never fell for the Intel meme. I dont deserve this

I have threadripper. How do I turn it off?

all benchmark software will need to be re-written to test to see if a computer has the patch installed.

all benchmark logging sites will need to be designed for each computer/processor with pre and post patch results with no mixing of the two

FUCKING NIGHTMARE

So it's now 16th? Some anons said the patches for Win7/8 will release on the 9th.

I don't know who to trust.

A lot benchmark are almost abandoware or creator are too lazy

just to be save, we dont want amd to run faster then intel, do we

We do

But thats wrong

Yes goyim, if you update

I've yet to see a proof of this.

Can see the update on the log, I'm missing something? It updated office shit today only

Dunno, just know it startes rolling out at 5pm

5PM ET

It's why they call it rolling out. Not everyone gets it at the same time.

>all benchmark software will need to be re-written to test to see if a computer has the patch installed.
>all benchmark logging sites will need to be designed for each computer/processor with pre and post patch results with no mixing of the two
How so?
Performance without the patch is irrelevant.
It's like a car that occasionally explodes.
Fixing the spontaneous explosions makes it 5-30% slower.
>They should still measure 0-60 speeds of the exploding variant

This, 1950x master race reporting

HA
I'm turning my desktop off

Checkmate super cyber criminals and jews

Enterprise still use W7

There are two flaws related to virtual memory that these patches are fixing. One affects Intel only and its patch (the one with the up-to-50%-performance-loss) what Sup Forums have been wailing about for the past two days. The second one affects all CPUs, regardless of vendors, but the patch will not severely affect Intel, AMD, or ARM CPUs as much.

spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

What happens if I turn off Windows Update?

You die immediately.

You will be vulnerable to this attack.
Dont worry son, gaming performance isn't affected so far.

>haha i'm going to disable my updates so I don't get this critical security update

Sup Forums - Technology

russian superhackers will control your life

Wow that paper came out fast.

>spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf
But AMD doesn't do speculative execution that way.

>To be clear, the security research team identified three variants targeting speculative execution. The threat and the response to the three variants differ by microprocessor company, and AMD is not susceptible to all three variants. Due to differences in AMD's architecture, we believe there is a near zero risk to AMD processors at this time.

Only retards get infected this day and age, the rest of us are safe with Common Sense 2018.

Because IntelBucks.

Nice same here nigger.

I almost spent $1000 extra to get the i9 16 core. Thank fuck common sense held me back and I saved myself from buying an nsa backdoor.

Also will Windows force this on AMD tonight? If so hopefully we can manually turn the performance killers off.

I have a ryzen 1600 . cant i just turn off the update?

can't slow me down if you can't catch me

because people will run the test on unpatched systems for keks and pollute the results of pool

>Only retards get infected this day and age, the rest of us are safe with Common Sense 2018.

>visit Sup Forums without anticancer one day
>load javascript malware
>get rooted

Sup Forums - Technology

you think AMD isnt backdoored too?

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig
In our mine the whole day through
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig
Is what we like to do

I haven't seen any evidence for it.

AMD isn't affected by meltdown and the main spectre bug, but it still has to be patched for one form of spectre.

It would be pretty easy for windows to give a separate patch. I don't get automatic radeon drivers when I'm using nvidia now do I?

>spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf
AMD is still vulnerable to Spectre, so yes you still do need the patch. If they were able to prove the attack could work with the FX-8350, then it could work on Ryzen.

Bruh this stuff can be leveraged through CSS. Even some text based web browsers are vulnerable and you won't even know it.

Ding. It'll be an issue for a while, but thankfully those PCs will be remotely blown up by Russian hackers after a few weeks.

The FUCKWIT patch does not apply to Spectre, only Meltdown.

Au contraire, the fact that they only proved it on the FX series is telling.

libreboot.org/faq.html#amd-platform-security-processor-psp

This is the most engineer-like thinking/analogy I've seen in a while

>visit... without anticancer
yes
you are retarded

I updated and now my SSD is dead, dont do it

That's for Linux, which you're 100% correct. But we're talking about the upcoming Microsoft update here, which will address both vulnerabilities. We just don't know whether Microsoft will apply their fix for Meltdown to all CPUs.

Then don’t visit infected sites like a fucking retardbabby. Easy.

Considering AWS hasn't been patched yet, and neither has Azure or GC, you might be on one right now.

do you not remember how hiro just put random botnet ads on the site that went past ublock

If only there was a patch out there that would render all of these exploits useless

>on the site that went past ublock
They didn't get past noscript :))

You common sense is fucked. Fix it, Jesus.

WHERE IS THE UPDATE

it would be extremely painful

Kek.

Real talk though... there was a time where IE6 with ActiveX Control was required to update your operating system.

thedeathofxp.com/

That's Windows POSready 2009

It's still required on POSready if you don't want to use the MS catalog manually
Except this still gets updates.

owo t-thanks

I like living dangerously
Also, are there any virii spreading that actually support win9x?

Where can I download common sense 2018?

>Virtualbox
Wow its fucking nothing

you are born with it. tough luck pal.

It can break out from the VM

hurr what is kernels??
- average Sup Forums poster

Is this it for W7? Date says 1/4 oddly.
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056897

For 8.1
catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056898

W7 is 16th

im on windows 7, am i safe if i have no script enabled?

Need to wait until next Tuesday for W7/8 cumulative update.

The article just says it won't appear automatically on it until the 16th, which I'm guessing means appearing in Windows Update.

I don't use the cumulative patches, I only install security only ones.

nigger why not WindowsNT?

probably muh games
NT didn't support games very well until Windows 2000

No, or at least not as harsh as the Intel directed patch will.
AMD & ARM is getting patched for Spectre.
Intel is getting patched for Spectre AND Meltdown (which is the fix that causes the performance drop).

>the one with the up-to-50%-performance-loss
DOUBT