/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 56% Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>*Avoid intel momentarily: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>*G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / *i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / *Used Xeon / Threadripper / *i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-932-013
pcpartpicker.com/list/7WqZnn
ebay.com/itm/HP-Z400-Xeon-QC-W3565-3-20GHz-12GB-1TB-DVDRW-Quadro-2000-8296/382318021789)
pcpartpicker.com/list/QVhzm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/32tDr7
pcpartpicker.com/products/speakers/#X=3081,6000
pcpartpicker.com/list/YdkQjc
ebay.com/itm/322833493048
amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS/
amazon.com/Microphone-Fifine-Condenser-Recordings-YouTube/dp/B01D4HTIOY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515060363&sr=8-4&keywords=usb mic
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
pcpartpicker.com/list/bbkQjc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-932-013

How good of a card is this for the current prices?

>tfw I bought a 7600K 7 months ago
Is it really that bad?

Any recommendations for a 27" 1440p monitor under $400?

is this a good 500$ budget build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/7WqZnn

No. Don't get swept up by outrage culture.

Yes
Don't let intel shills tell you otherwise

We only hear reports and numbers are all over the place. Gaming looks to be fine though

what's all this intel ruckus about?

I recently got a 4K monitor and I can upgrade my 970 to a 980Ti for $100, should I do it?

It was the Jews.

Is using a TV as a monitor still bad? I like really large screens but monitors over a certain size seem to cost a premium

Wait until the patches hit and we'll see how performance is. At that point, you'll know if it's bad or not.
You will want to patch though, unfortunately.

Big bad bug lets programs get into the memory of other programs that they shouldn't have access to. Like passwords and private keys and such.

Hi masters, first time building a PC and i would love some help, currently im looking at getting:

Inter Core i5-7400 3.50 GHz
H110M-D | Motherboards | ASUS
8GB DDR4 Ram
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G
Cooler Master MPX-5001-ACAAW-US Power Supply

i have 2 questions
1) what do you guys think of that build?
2)what case should i get? i was thinking of Corsair Clear 400C ATX Gaming but i have no idea, i like that one cus it seems easy to clean the dust off

Thank you!

>1)
No. Read the OP.
>2)
If it's MAtx (i assume based on mobo model number but you failed to link pcpartpicker link) I recommend the Fractal Define Mini C

Sorry im new to this, il try to make the build on pcpartbuilder and share that link.

bump

The fact that your shit cpu is outclassed by a $100 ryzen cpu and a i3 is worse

>pcpartpicker.com/list/7WqZnn
>intel

its like you didn't read the op and have been living under a rock

awful shit build

what would you change, how can i make it better?

>intel processors have a massive security bug
>-30% performance after patch
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
feels good being a genetically/morally superior/godlike ryzen owner

7500 is shit and obsolete. If you're doing intel do 8th gen but isn't great value for money considering the 8400 (best of the lineup) doesn't have a budget mobo available to complement it.
Consider Ryzen especially now given the security flaws in Intel CPUs

Could I realistically build a pc for 200 dollars or so to just play around with parts and shit to learn proof of concept stuff about hardware? I'm a pretty big tech noob.

just pick up a used HP server for $100

>*Avoid intel momentarily
>*G4560/G4600
this place is fucking ded

I just want a computer to throw windows xp on or something to fuck around with.

I don't know how a server works but I can use a laptop.

got it, im gonna start googling 8400 and consider the prices, what do you think of the rest of the build buddy?

>I just want a computer to throw windows xp on
>I don't know how a server works but I can use a laptop.

You sound like you haven't even used Windows XP

It's been a while, my family computer used to run it like a decade ago.

DONT WORRY GUYS GAYMING IS FINE. YOU CAN STILL BUY INTEL

Anyone know what this monitor model is?

Honestly you're prob better off just buying a used business desktop and just putting in a better PSU and a new gpu

Just buy something like this and play around with it: ebay.com/itm/HP-Z400-Xeon-QC-W3565-3-20GHz-12GB-1TB-DVDRW-Quadro-2000-8296/382318021789)

>tfw 7700k/GTX1080

Hmm, looks like it might be a U2515H.

>tfw Ryzen 1600/GTX 1080

is it safe to assume that anyone who bought intel should be removed from the gene pool?

>tfw

> Bought an I7 7700k on black friday (can return until 1/31)
> Read the advice here
> Planned to buy i7 8700k instead
> Read about the bug issue here

I have had 2 pretty bad AMD processors (6 and 4 years ago) when I was too poor to shill for intel, so I was hoping to get a high end cpu from them this time. What should I do now? When will the patches be live and benchmarked?

Budget is somewhat flexible but I was aiming for $1500-1800. Main uses are heavy minecraft (mods, shaders, server stuff) as well as AAA games like overwatch. I use W10 not linux for an OS if that makes a difference.

What do? I only need cpu, mobo and gpu and I really wanted to finish the build soon.

Neat, I'll look into that type of thing. Thanks.

Don't get meme'd
Intel is still GOAT

Buy a ryzen, there was barely a performance difference before, now it's only gonna get worse for intel.

is this better?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QVhzm8

Ryzen was already the better buy. With this shit I no longer see a reason to buy an intel cpu right now.

if you absolutely need to build a system after potentially returning your CPU (which you should all things considered) get an R7 given your budget or R5 if you just do gaming and no streaming/rendering.
But if you can Wait(tm) between returning your 7700k and when Ryzen+/2 comes out then do that instead.
Or get a processor+mobo now and just return the processor and get a zen2 that will still work with your AM4 mobo

why is it so hard to find a copy of Win7 to buy
>because its two OS's out of date
I know that but still, why doesn't michaelshaft fucking sell it

pcpartpicker.com/list/32tDr7

No point in buying that when an old prebuilt with a 1060 would be much better
This is also quite a bit better

No. Imo at that price point you are better off searching around in your local area to find some used business desktop with an i5 2nd gen or beyond. Than put in a 400~500w PSU and put in a graphics card. It will perform better than what ever you can get for $500 brand new

Would go with this

What are some good speakers in the 50$ price range ? Preferably if there's some good sales on some high-end ones.

If you absolutely want everything brand new than yeah this is prob your best bet

Corsair K55 RGB for $65 or Logitech G213 Prodigy for $52?

Unless somebody else tells you, you will have to do some of your own research because benchmarks on this don't really exist.
It's easy to talk CPU IPC but speakers are subjective.
Here is what PCPartPicker lists around that range, so check in on these.
pcpartpicker.com/products/speakers/#X=3081,6000

>40 new $100 DDR4 3000MHz 2x4GB at local store sold out in less than 3 hours.

Dell U2717DA

What's the most I should spend on a GTX1080?

0$

What's the best place to buy notebooks online in Israel?

what is the most reliable way to get Windows 7 without buying it from some dodgy bloke on ebay?

Judging just by looks, they are around the same. Both have wrist wrests and media keys. What are those prices though? I see them both on Amazon for under $50.

I am reading that gaming isn't necessarily affected by this. I have a 144hz monitor, and most videos seem to point to intel for high fps gaming. I also have DDR4 3200 RAM already, does that make any difference?

I guess for now I'll wait for the fallout and see if the patches really do decrease performance by 30%, or if everyone is overreacting.

I'm not from the US.

MSRP is $500 so I would not spend past $540.
Your choices are either to get scammed by a kike or stoned by a Palestinian
You can buy OEM on Kinguin but that is bound to your motherboard or you can buy full version for a shit ton of money

It's best to disclose that
Anyway they should be roughly equal so play it based off of looks or whatever

Funny because that is an awful deal

Yeah just wait until we know the whole story

anyone get their Talos II stuff yet? this whole intel bullshit and all the botnet that is x86 has convinced me to move on.

If you are not sure search "Dell bezelless display"

>I am reading that gaming isn't necessarily affected by this.
Probably intel shill shit. It's 30% less performance minimum. Gaming is more gpu intensive than cpu intensive but that just means that in the game you are playing your cpu wasn't a bottleneck if it didn't have a performance hit. The only way you don't notice the performance hit while using your computer is if you spend twice the money on your cpu. Why do you want to buy intel so badly that you are willing to pay extra money for a product that is know going to be about half as powerful as the amd equivalent in the same price range?

Really? Cause it seems like an okay deal to me.
Everything with same specs on PCPartPicker is above $100, and these were Vengeance LPX, and not even counting I am not from the US, so import taxes would make this even more expensive.

why do girls always cheat on intel guys with amd guys??

anything else I should change? I swapped the ram to make it cheaper

>intel
they already have the cpu and gpu from an old build

What's your monitor?

I like Asrock motherboards. Should be much cheaper than that one too.
When I was shopping for my ddr4 ram I read a lot of negative reviews on the Corsair review pages about DOA units and some which immediately broke. Of course I ended up spending about 30 dollars extra to get something with better reviews so I guess you can probably just take that risk but it bothered me.

If you were in the US it would be overpriced by like $10, and if prices were normal it should be a lot less.

r8 m8s
>CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
>Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($85.98 @ Newegg)
>Memory: Crucial - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($170.99 @ Adorama)
>Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ B&H)
>Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($314.88 @ OutletPC)
>Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
>Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
>Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($35.89 @ OutletPC)
>Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.50 @ Newegg)
>Monitor: Asus - VG278Q 27.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ($299.00 @ B&H)
>Keyboard: EagleTec - KG010 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($38.99 @ Amazon)
>Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Core Headset ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1629.87

Building a computer for the first time, plan on using it for gaming + streaming. I've heard your not suppose to use liquid cooling with ryzen. Anyone know if I should make any changes or is it fine as is? pcpartpicker.com/list/YdkQjc

>gaymen headphones
No.

What are your priorities? Gaming at high frame rates? Color depth? Viewing Angle?
I've been shopping around for a hfr, 8-bit IPS personally and this panel keeps coming up. Linus did an unboxxing of it recently.
>ebay.com/itm/322833493048

If you don't care about viewing angles or VESA mount options, I think this isn't a bad choice.
>amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS/

Get a usb mic and an actual set of headphones
I personally bought this mic
amazon.com/Microphone-Fifine-Condenser-Recordings-YouTube/dp/B01D4HTIOY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515060363&sr=8-4&keywords=usb mic
It's not the best mic but it's pretty cheap

I dont care for a mic, just want comfy headsets. But im not an audiophile in the least so i can only go by reviews.

Alright well I rate your build a 1/10 for terminal shit tastes

>all the benchmarks are shills
Hahaha and here you bought ryzen might be considered the king of gsming now. Nah

Grab the Audio-Technica ATH-M30x on Amazon, they're at the exact same price but the AT are much better.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
Nice benchmarks. Here are some other ones.

probably a viewsonic xg2401 or 2402 for freesync

thanks for the heads up, I'll look for an asrock mobo and research some ram alternatives

1600X and a cooler is a waste of money when you only have a 1060. Same goes for a 144hz monitor, since you'll never hit that.
I haven't heard good things about Gigabyte's B350 VRMs.
2133 memory is slow and for $4 or so more you could get 3000
Consider a better PSU
Send me the list and I could make a better 1070/Ti build

>1050Ti
>4 GB
What's your usecase? What resolution to do you plan on gaming at? Consider getting a cheap used PC off ebay with a haswell quad core and spending most of your funds on a decent GPU like a 1060 3GB or 1070.

>tfw Ryzen 1200/HD 6670

You can't freesync with a 970 (or any Geforce card for that matter)

Delet 1600x and cooler, get 1600 (has free cooler)
Delet windows 10 (just buy a legit key from kinguin)
Delet gayman headphones
Delet 1060, add savings from above, and a couple extra bucks, and get cheapest 1080 you can get.

That is expense for a high end z170 board today. You can probably get a used one for

Ye linux looks fucked. I hope it isnt this bad for mac

If you're looking at 1080s, may as well get a 1070Ti and OC if needed.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/bbkQjc
i wanna keep the pure pc, extras aside, under 1200

I was just about to buy an i7-8700K before this CPU thing went down. Now I want to hold off on that until I know more.

But in the meantime, now that I'm unsure about my CPU, what other parts can safely be purchased? I was going to get an ASUS Prime Z370-A motherboard, but that's designed for Intel, so I guess I have to hold off on that too.
RAM should be fine to get now, right?

Yes, basically everything else can be safely bought.