What really makes Linux the best? It's free and open sourced? I can just torrent windows. Not to mention...

What really makes Linux the best? It's free and open sourced? I can just torrent windows. Not to mention, I can use Photoshop and other programs that do not work on Linux. At least for me, Wine doesn't work well.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
kernel.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux is designed for technologists, engineers, and the scientific community

Windows is designed for accountants and gamerzzzzz

Doesn't make sense. A computer that's running windows, or gnu/linux can handle all of those.

Can you embed an ssh server into your initramfs with wake on lan over internet to decrypt a fully encrypted root and allow it to boot securely across the internet?

That's kinda why people use it.
Microsoft lets you do fuck all with the low level shit and the I/O speed is garbage.

For the majority of Linux users Linux is like a hobby. Instead of a train set or something they install some barebones distro and add shit to it.

actually you can kinda do this with Bitlocker, but I agree user

You can install Windows in a VM under Linux and use all those Windows exclusive programs without becoming Microsoft's bitch.

If you have to ask you're too dumb to understand the answer.

>
>actually you can kinda do this with Bitlocker, but I agree user

No, you can't.

You cannot unlock a fully encrypted, passphraseless, root using bitlocker from across the internet.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

>Bitlocker

>I can just torrent windows
Freedom is not about price.
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

No, it really is Linux. Nobody actually gives a fuck about POSIX and GNU garbage. That stuff can be thrown away.

How do you set this up?

Windows is an American Produkt, America is the Country that spies the whole World.

>Nobody actually gives a fuck about GNU
Ok, so if I go ahead and download Linux from
kernel.org/
and load just that, will I have a fully functioning system made useful by corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS?
No? Why not? isn't Linux the operating system?

it's one SAFE boi

Sure you will. Just because it's not an OS as defined by POSIX doesn't mean it's not actually an OS. Turns out POSIX is mostly historical baggage that we're better off without. You don't actually need any corelibs or junk like libc. You don't need a shell, only POSIX actually requires this garbage. You most certainly don't need "vital" system components, whatever the fuck you think these things are. The truth is these are all crappy programs written in the 80s that talk to Linux via system calls. People can choose to simply talk to Linux directly and avoid ridiculous amounts of accumulated brain damage that's associated with GNU and POSIX shit.

See:
Unironically this.
You can customise the absolute fucking shit out of Linux. It's used in majority of servers, majority of supercomputers, majority of smartphones and all kinds of embedded devices.

An operating system is a tool. Use the right tool for the right job. Weigh pros and cons against each other - don't always side with your favourite product or philosophy because a single tool isn't good for all use cases. Chopsticks may be your favourite eating utensil but good fucking luck eating soup with them.

ah, so you're proposing the creation of a completely new OS to run on the Linux kernel that is COMPLETELY separated from GNU, POSIX, and Unix in general?
Honestly, i'm not entirely opposed to the idea.

>completely new OS

Why do you think this? Linux is the OS and always will be. Just because someone makes, I don't know, a Lisp or Java-based userspace and an entire ecosystem of programs written for that language appears doesn't mean the language is the OS. It's just another platform on top of the OS.

That's all GNU is. A platform, an interface for users, based on POSIX. A bunch of programs like cp and mv that ask Linux to deal with the files on your behalf. Nothing stops people from thrashing all that and coming up with something original and hopefully much better than this POSIX crap. The only reason people don't do it is because it's hard and because GNU already works well enough that people are happy to put up with its imperfections.