/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed) (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-I7-6820HQ-2-7GHz-16GB-Ram-M3000M-256GB-SSD/272993899753?hash=item3f8fb454e9:g:dxIAAOSwiYlaPg0Z
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_meltdown_spectre_bugs_the_registers_annotations/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>t.last thread
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P70-I7-6820HQ-2-7GHz-16GB-Ram-M3000M-256GB-SSD/272993899753?hash=item3f8fb454e9:g:dxIAAOSwiYlaPg0Z

I essentially bought this laptop, and have it boxed, ready to open. I just want to know if this if the description means the P70 is actually new and original. Only then I will open it.

I can upload unboxing pics if anons are interested.

my T61 has a 1280x800 screen, what would /tpg/ reccomend as a replacement?

Just get at external model

Is something as old as the t430 or 420 affected by the intel bug?

>LP141WP1-TLB8
or
>LTN141WD-L05

I just got a Thinkpad L412 for $170
That's the cheapest Thinkpad in my country
Why isn't it in sticky? Is it not good?

Every Intel CPU back to the very first Pentium is affected. So yeah, your t430 is fucked too.

Just don't install the patch and you'll be fine. For everyday users like the fucks on this board, its not going to affect anyone.

Why is the t430 not in the recommended models?

someone post that frog image

oh jeebus, i came to this thread specifically to meekly ask about this, but i'm glad someone else did already

have patches been released for anything yet? also is the vulnerability really that bad? if i didn't ask something in sqt today and saw discussion on this, i wouldn't've thought of updating my drivers for years and years (at least until 2020 when W7 stops getting security patches)

Honestly if you're not retarded, its not that difficult.

I recently picked up a t430 with 900p i5 3320m for $270.

Flashed it very easily. Once you have a backup then everything should be fine.

Just don't get the patch, unless you're hosting a google server from your autismpad its nothing to worry about

I have L420 and i like it.

Not him but is "flashing" what the image says is "unlocking X230/T430 Bios"? What does that do? Also is swapping out the keyboard not a viable option? I haven't read everything there but I wonder if that collage is from user error, or if it's really no good.

The bios in the the laptop has a hardware whitelist. Only parts signed by lenovo may be used. Now, when you flash the bios, you remove the whitelist.

Its a difficult thing to achieve if you're a retarded frog poster.

Are you a retarded frog poster?

No lemme explain
Some of the functions of your thinkpad like the battery whitelist or the mute key lights, thinklight and keyboard layout are handled by an embedded controller or EC for short
To swap the keyboard and remove the battery whitelist you need to reflash your EC which is completely separate from your bios

The whole meme on the right which dumb frog posters can't figure is for flashing your bios which fun fact: the dumb 20 series frog posters don't realize they have to go through same process if they want an ivy cpu

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/
I-Is the Toshiba Portege Z30-B allowed? Or any good?

Dumb frog poster

First thought on the X280?

2570p or t420 for Sup Forums and Sup Forums?

You tell us user
Does it have a pointing stick?
Is it easy to service?
How is Linux compatibility?
Socketted components?

Not announced yet
2570p for socketted cpu, raid support and better ish egpu support and small size
T430 for socketted, more support and out of the box egpu
the T420 is garbage if you need the gpu

Oh, I see. Cheers. I don't post frogs since I find them offensive to look at, among the drooling wojak and more, but I can't really read out of context lingo... I mean I guess it's in context, but I don't gain meaning from these words

My t430 started showing a vertical yellow line on the screen. It is very noticable on a dark background.

Any ideas what it could be?

Brainlet here. Which cheap thinkpad (or latitude) should i get for uni and programming and how much? I live in europe.

Are there actually people who flash their series 20 thinkpad?

>Not announced yet
But I have seen information of it on German hardware websites.
E.g. the dimensions, weight, CPU, ports etc.

Want to buy refurbished true-thinkpad from amazon. What sort of problems I will have?

>bios password
>computrace
>wrong model
>broken
>actually a housebrick painted black
>cancer
>death
good luck!

Really that bad?

BIOS pass and computrace is really pain? Can it be flashed with SPI?

Friendly reminder if you don't buy a Thinkpad you don't get the Real Business Experience™

Yes it's called coreboot sweetie
Maybe you've heard of it?
There's also a version called libreboot
I hear it's pretty popular

Lcd connector probably

Any ides or just a text editor
You could get along just fine with a X200 probably but a X220 is safer

I'm waiting for Lenovo
Their words hold more weight than some leaks

Daily reminder that this man is a huge faggot and 2570p user laughs at him

Base model for twice the price of a maxed out model

It only does it every so often, and it pulses when the fan starts to spin up so I don't think its the LCD Panel. It probably is either that, or the CPU (since it has integrated graphics)

I'm leaning towards the cable since it's the cheapest to fix

So user from cheapest to most expensive fixes should go like this
>lcd cable
>either a sandy bridge or ivy bridge dual core, which ever you find the cheapest. That is if you wanna try if the igpu is shitting on you
>lcd itself
But personally I think it's either the lcd cable or lcd itself

Now that Meltdown is a thing, I'm officially an AMD shill. What does Sup Forums think of the ThinkPad A series?

Crap. Wait for Ryzen to become mainstream.

some anons say that they (A275 and A475) have recieved not-so-good reviews, due to the processors used (old Bristol Ridge, 28nm processors) and buggy driver support from amd when the reviews came out (dunno about now). You could get one of them, or wait for Lenovo to launch Zen-powered 'pads.

> (You)
>Crap. Wait for Ryzen to become mainstream.
Do we know when we're getting Ryzen APU's?

there are already HP laptops with Ryzen APU's though. blame Lenovo

Ugh, and Lenovo didn't show any new A series in their CES line-up so far... Guess I'll wait more, and if I need a new laptop urgently I'll get another brand. Seriously hope Lenovo is gonna get Ryzen APU's this year though.

Kill yourself, phoneposter.

is it safe to leave an x220i, or any laptop for the matter, on mostly idle CPU usage for extended periods of time (say, a week)?

so the x230 i just bought came with gemalto card reader. Should I never use it and throw it away or am i just being paranoid? feels like there could be some kind of keylogger

Return it Jamalto

guys, my p70 has an american power cord, with a 3 pin plug. Im from UK.

What adapter should I get? Can I use a cheap one? Will my power supply explode?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wait so my t420 is fine?

Read the first sentence. It's all fucked. If you have any Intel processor later than the pentium 1 in 1993.

Just found a tiny magnetic point at the front-right corner of my touchpad. What internal part is that coming from?

Is x270 powerful enough to run 2x 1080p displays, 2x virtual machines?

If it's intel, it's fucked .

X220/X230? Those use magnets to help secure the lid in lieu of real latches.

Why would you want this? Just get an unpatched PC at this point

Nope, t420.

It's a sensor that "informs the machine" that the lid is closed.

>tfw Intel's shenanigans make ThinkPad prices drop
BUY BUY BUY

o i c

reset my computer. now im stuck on the cortana installation menu, choosing the keyboard language. "Something went wrong but you can try again" with try again prompt. been like this for 10 minutes now, what do i do

>cortana
10 ltsb or 7

I don't own one yet. Just seemed like an interesting laptop not many people have looked into.

>Does it have a pointing stick?
Yes
>Is it easy to service?
Yes
>How is Linux compatibility?
Yes, slight issues with the fingerprint reader though.
>Socketted components?
The CPU isn't. Pretty much everything you'd expect to be is, though.

Stop spreading misinformation.

- The bug is called "Meltdown".
- Every Intel CPU from 2010 is affected.
- If your CPU supports PCID it mitigates the problem somewhat.
- Normal users won't be as affected as big name companies that work with massive amounts of data (Google, Amazon, etc.).
- Performance hits after update have been as low as 1% to as high as 40%.

More importantly, until embargo clears, solid information on the matter is not to be disclosed. Meaning all we have is speculation, even though most of the information has already been confirmed by reliable sources.

Also, AMD is not affected by Meltdown. The problem with AMD (and Intel and ARM, inside computers and smartphones alike) is a bug called Spectre, which was divided in two parts. Part 1 was mostly patched without performance hits and Part 2 has not been patched because it is hard to patch as it is hard to exploit.

Now stop shitposting /tpg/, we have enough clueless idiots already.

How bad will the linux meltdown fix affect my libreboot x200

>- Every Intel CPU from 2010 is affected.
Penryn master race wins again

From 2010 onward or before i need to know if my core 2 thinkpad will become unuseable

2010 onward. In theory all Intel CPUs since 1995 use out-of-order execution, but the fault seems to be the redesign in Intel CPUs that started with the first "Intel Core i-" processors.

Core 2 Duo should not be affected.

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_meltdown_spectre_bugs_the_registers_annotations/

>mfw Penryn

yeah everyday fucks on this board and brainlets such as yourself need not worry getting their info and credit card details stolen

you never download anything from the internet, you should be safe...

Anyone else excited for T480? I feel like it's the first worthy replacement for my quad core T430. Lenovo even finally decided to put a worthwhile GPU and display in there.

i was, but i'm a hardware brainlet and afraid of what this intel processor vulnerability actually means

hi guys, i'm wondering if librebooted thinkpads, like x200 or w500 are affected by the new intel bugs? are they vulnerable or still safe?

Meltdown is the Intel-specific (for now) vulnerability. It needs to be patched at OS level. The fix means practically nothing for most workloads. Specialized software, notably databases and virtual machines, may see severe slowdowns (in the 30% range).
Spectre, another variant of the same vulnerability, is not specific to Intel and affects Intel, AMD, ARM and god knows what else. It's not nearly as severe as Meltdown, though, but it needs to be patched in applications rather than the OS.

Even if you explain it to him with pictures, he won't understand. Don't waste your energy.

Looks identical to my T450

This would involve xeon quads, right?
I'm running an overclocked to hell quad-core xeon on a modded 775 board
Just wanna make sure.

Also, has anyone tested that proof of concept code that's been going around on a pre core i-X computer?

Yep, the chassis has been barely changed since T440. Not that it's a bad thing, really.

They're vulnerable, you fuckwit. Everything back to the Pentium Pro is. Literally the only safe Jewtel processor is the first-generation Pentium.

Have you guys ever felt the rush to pour some water into your ThinkPad's keyboard just to see how it handles it?

It's a retarded idea, but a very primal impulse.

Why doesn't the freetard foundation manufacture their own CPUs? This will literally solve everything

Not since I was in Tokyo and woke up to find that I'd spilt a beer over my X220 in the hotel room and it was all fine. A bit sticky, but that's it, ruined all the pamphlets and stuff on the desk though.. If it's drunk proof then you should be set with some water

Oh I know this feeling! Its like every Wednesday when I try and commit suicide.

Nice 2017 meme, kid.

How is the touch screen on the a475?

becouse an arbitrary number changed i don't want to fucking die any less

Nice
Sounds good user

Source?
Or are you shitting out lies from some random forum?

got one of these at work, but doesnt boot

>The t420 was made in 2011
Fug. How do I prevent the update?

>tfw bought a t450 instead of an x230 last week
>cpu supports pcid
feels good

Recently found my old Latitude D420, was this a good find or a trash find boys?

just buy a plug adapter you should be okay.
big thing is to cheack incoming voltage on the power brick.
most keyboards are US.
get a windows95.iso, get a ISO to CD rufus program or something like it
burm the iso to cd or what ever it supports

Boot to cd and go to repair install
try to find the tobbleshooting thingy
find command prompt and type this

C:\FixMbr
or if you cant find a windows 95 cd use a windows 7 one your not reinstalling but the troubleshoting repair thingy is the same

if useing windows 10 or windows 7
on the repair cd command prompt

C:\Bootrec /FixMbr
C:\Bootrec /Fixboot
C:\Bootrec /ReBuildBcd

that fixes the boot record and boot files
should be okay after that.

PS: I'm using a freetard brower called K-Meleon because firefox doesn't support it in 2018
>tfw there is no right click
>tfw you can't just right click and copy a page automatically to any new tab

here is the proof i installed XP
time to install windows 2000
>tfw you hacked the boot loader to even boot XP on a simple parition (stupid thing thinks its a basic parition)
LOL

Hey guys, how do I find out what the components of my laptop are? The ebay auction I got it from wasn't very helpful. It was just listed as a regular t430. From the lenovo website, it's Machine Type Model
2349I47