Is this a good way to introduce others/non-savvy to the world of open OS...

Is this a good way to introduce others/non-savvy to the world of open OS? Would Sup Forums consider Mint to be as easy as it is advertised?

Yes

I think you can't get wrong with Mint. It's not entirely free but for Win converts that's no issue. Most important it works and you'll probably have Wi-Fi out of the box with it so it's normie proof.

And by "easy", the site makes it seem as simple to install and manage as Windows if not even simpler and faster. I feel like this is relative/misleading, but maybe I'm retarded. What happens to your previous OS?

Mint with Cinnamon is so easy that you don't have to know anything about computers as long as your hardware is compatible. Way easier than Windows 10.

>open
>systemd
>proprietary blobs

Has mint been updated regarding meltdown? I know there have been problems in the past with mint security patches

It's far easier then Windows because you can run it right from the USB drive without even installing. If you happen to like it and all the critical hardware seems to works you can decide to install it to disk.

This is all true but that's a more advanced topic. Newly or future converts shouldn't worry about this (yet).

>critical hardware
Such as? It's a 32 bit machine with workstation-tier specs. Mint is available in 32-bit with cinnamon of course, so unless there is something I am leaving out it should in theory perform well enough?

Not really, no... I mean, you will get around it easy, but you won't be able to change much wo distro hopping.

How ever, Manjaro comes with pretty much everything out of the box and XFCE DE there is ootb configured to look like Windows. But, unlike Mint, Ubuntu etc. you can change anything in it if you want to try or grow tired of it (kernel, greeter...) and XFCE in itself is really customizable if you grow tired of it.

No. Mint Mate is a proper way.
I wouldn't recommend something as unstable as cinnamon for promotion.

Surely you meant mint kde

Well, that's for the user to decide. If you have, for example, a laptop it would be convenient to have Wi-Fi and speed stepping working. So I would check that before installing it to disk. Doesn't mean the experiment would stop if it didn't.

No, because at some point they're going to want to do some of the shit they already do that GNU/Linux doesn't support. Trying a distro should be a conscious effort and not something you try to force on other people.

>ISO download mirrors
Do I just follow the instruction word for word, and expect to get a serviceable OS? And how can I guarantee my Wi-Fi connection will perform even after the OS installs?

Because with mint it just werks(tm)

Does it even matter which mirror you choose, desu

It doesnt

Surely not cinnamon because it crashes too often.

Do you people even WORK tech? Half my users don't even know how to fucking RESET their computer, you honestly think they will understand something even 1% different than what they had before?

>how can I guarantee my Wi-Fi connection will perform even after the OS installs?
If it werks in the installer, it'll work post-installation. Just make sure your card isn't broadcom.

And furthermore I can assume that Windows will still exist on the hard drive, is that erasable from Mint assuming it actually works? Say for instance a critical function e.g Wifi does not work, would I have to re-boot into Windows for maintenance?
This is just an isolated experiment with a shanty old laptop,user. I'm trying to better myself because I'm sick of bloat and banality.

Everything is able to be troubleshooted from within linux. They're fairly isolated from each other, each with their own drivers for a certain piece of hardware. The only reason why a certain bug would affect both is if the problem lies deep within the hardware itself.

>is that erasable from Mint assuming it actually works?
Just use the partitioning software that the distro comes with and wipe the Windows partitions. You have, in essence, uninstalled windows from the system. There's still a bit of fuckery involved with accessing the efi partition of your storage drive and deleting the windows boot manager, though; but you don't have to do it since it won't affect the overall functionality of linux.

Yes, during setup mint install wizard will detect windows and ask you if you want to dual boot.
After install everytime you boot your computer you will see a windows asking which OS you want to boot.

meant a grub window (not ms windows)

install ArchLinux you tool

I would prefer to start with something a little more familiar first, that doesn't involve a great deal of technical knowledge to experience. Pls no bully.

>Disc Burner missing
What did they mean by this. Do I need an empty CD or some obscure software to finish installation?

This. I believe the installer even handles partitioning for you if you're trying to dual boot.

>starting with arch
You must be a masochist

Start with Linux kernel and build your OS from scratch, normie faggot

Whats a reliable disc burner?
Some ratchet ass links appearing, top four results include Softonic. Am I still retarded,Anons?

You don't need a burner. Just get an old flash drive and use Rufus.

*blocks your path*

It's a lost cause, they don't give a shit.

If only firefox allowed the use of other file pickers. I could be enjoying KDialog instead of GTK shit.