Tfw fell for the computer science meme

>tfw fell for the computer science meme

I have have an upper middle class salary and drinking coffee and shitposting all day

Don't worry, I did Software Engineering instead

Nothing wrong with CS. I ended up in a comfy job.

>get 4 year computer science degree
>too busy solving theorem proofs and studying sorting algorithms
>dont know how to actually program
JUST

there are a lot of students like you in my university. you actually have to show interest in the field you are studying to be accepted as an employee by someone. just now i was talking to a fellow student and he was angry at our lecturer that he caught him cheating and got 1 automatically. nigga, diploma alone won't grant you a job. you actually have to put some of your free time into it, as well.

You're supposed to become a competent programmer on your own. CS is for actually understanding what you're doing so you're not a mindless pajeet

the fuck is wrong with computer science?

it's fun

T H E D R E A M

Computer engineering actually teaches you how a computer works, and you can learn the CS stuff on your own.
But then you show a schematic to a CS fag and they dont even know what they're looking at.

This. Learning a language syntax is easy, just start reading a book

too much math

If only I knew employers are gonna dick you around and how trying to keep your skillset relevant is maddening. I miss having free time and hobbies

I love the creative aspect of CS, IE, making software and maybe vidya games.

but low level shit like cpu architectures, kernels and processor optimizations seem foreign to me, and frankly, uninteresting. I feel like a brainlet for not knowing everything though

I feel the complete opposite, my choice was between EE/CE. I went with CE and I'm happy with it.

Why should they? I don't want to be an engineer, I just want to be a code monkey

Then to be a code monkey you don't even need a CS degree, just one of those shitty code bootcamps will do to get you into a crappy job (you might even make good money).

pretty sure even the crappy 'good paying' jobs requires a bachelors. they may make an exception if you have an outstanding portfolio, but you'll always be at the mercy of someone with a bachelors. no point in having that hanging over your head.

>Learning a language syntax
>syntax

this word should be banned from Sup Forums

Hey man I just play the game, I don't make the rules

Why? It's a perfectly valid term to use in this context.

no you can't learn CS on the side. The S is in there for a reason. The level of math you have to learn is on a pair with physics or plain math degree.

No it's fucking not

I'm in the same boat but still a year way

I got fucking memed dude. Meanwhile my friends in accounting are having the times of their lives and more success. I don't even have an internship yet.

>accounting
that's boring as hell though.

Really depends on the school

At my normal state uni it's just Calc 1/2 + linear algebra. The math in CS is there, but to say it's the same as a math degree is really far out there.

Also you do now that many schools offer a BA in CS which has much less math right

Do you even learn any calculus in CS? Only linear algebra (which I love though).

Im pretty sure there is more math in CE than in CS lol.

Haha

>The level of math you have to learn is on a pair with physics or plain math degree.
what

the highest math you need for a cs degree is like calc II.

If you can get a degree in CS without taking a full year of calculus, you're going to a community-college tier school. Where I went, comp sci was probably second only to a pure math degree in mathematical rigor. I got a degree in physics and didn't have to take any of the proof-based courses the CS department required (analysis, discrete math, linalg)

>Also you do now that many schools offer a BA in CS which has much less math right
I believe some offer the alternative discrete math in place of taking calc II.

At least they have a job waiting. I'm going to end up a fucking neet with a degree a year and a half from now

Please post the curriculum

Or at least tell me the name of the school so I can look it up

That's your fault.
Why didn't you work on personal projects and apply for internships?

The entire point of college is to build connections, aka, do interns with corporations to get your foot in the door, because it's going to be difficult getting a job after you graduate with 0 experience.

In CE I had calc 1/2, discrete math, algebra, physics, statistics, algorithms, and used it in many other ones (like cmos technology, diodes...).

>Im pretty sure there is more math in CE than in CS lol.
is CE a UK only thing or something? I haven't seen any school offer 'Computer Engineering' here.

I go to an American university. It's offered but is more of a hardware focus.

Yep, my school splits it up. Computational and simulation science is the Major and all the minors are Programming, database management, Networking, Systems security, etc.

>but low level shit like cpu architectures, kernels and processor optimizations seem foreign to me, and frankly, uninteresting.
t. brainlet

>tfw fell for the meme meme

I can probably understand it, just not interested. I don't see myself working at Intel or AMD churning out algorithms to get 0.5% boosts in speeds processor speeds. Might as well be doing pure math at that point.

A year and a half is more than enough time to learn programming and get some portfolio pieces. Make a github and throw a bunch of projects together. All recruiters want to see is initiative and experience. Coding side projects checks those boxes.

>It's offered but is more of a hardware focus.
well of course its more math oriented then. you're basically doing mech engineering, but for computers. CS can range from hardware to software, mostly a focus on software though.

>Make a github and throw a bunch of projects together.
What would they be looking for? For me to be making my own frameworks and algos or something? The amount of git contributions?

I did it for a semester and got my ass kicked in multi variable calc (combination of alcohol and never studying). The courses were mostly about signal processing, electronics, and other hardware bits. I'm doing a CS program now. Only math really is linear algebra and discrete beyond undergrad stuff like calc 1/2. Lowest level course seems to be operating systems at best.

>looking at the university website for my country
>EE is a higher entry than pure Physics

Serious question here, why are you a CS major in the first place? I don't understand people like you. You do the bare minimum to pass classes, you sponge off of others and expect to be spoonfed, you don't do anything CS related in your spare time, then you cry and complain you can't find a job in the end.

he just doesn't know what he wants to do.

I'm not the original user saying they can't find a job. I already have several projects and a main personal project I'm actively working on, which is some 20k+ LOC.

I'm just asking what employers typically look for, or what would impress them.

design your portfolio around the kind of job you want.

>dick you around and how trying to keep your skillset relevant is maddening
That's why I switched to a real engineering degree (electrical), especially the second part.

I'm 18 about to head into college with a CS major. This thread's got me thinking I might have made a mistake.

What major should I switch to so I can make money and find a good job after college?

Women's studies

It'll fit you well considering you pussied out before you even tried

>What major should I switch to so I can make money and find a good job after college?
No, that's up to you, not your degree.

a random stranger on the internet saying something that may or may not be true dissuaded you from your major?

finish the first semester, first year, if you don't like it then you can make an educated decision about it. don't do anything on an impulse

I’m thinking of switching careers and want to get into IT/programming. Going back to uni would take too long and be costly though.

What are my chances at getting a decent job with a cert from a coding boot camp? Like at least 80k - 100k annually? Amerifat here, I actually live close to Silicon Valley. Do I need be especially proficient in math in order to flourish in the field? I’ve always been shit at it, but I’ve always enjoyed being behind a computer and I'm pretty anti social and introverted like a true programmer. Pls halp

>have have
You're not 10x

>want to do EE but never studied calc at highschool

how fucked am i?

I don't even like computers. I just chose it because the college applications we're telling me to pick something and I didn't wanna pick art or gender studies or some shit because those would lead to a lifetime employment at Starbucks. I only use computers for entertainment.

EL OH FUCKING EL

Get shit on cuckboy. That's what happens when you're a cuck-a-doodle-doo

Just because you didn't learn in high school means nothing. Try it yourself first.

>a decent job with a cert from a coding boot camp? Like at least 80k - 100k annually?
What the fuck?
Is this how people think?

You wouldn't be making fucking 80k even if you had a masters in CS.

Thanks?

Uwat. I thought most programmers in California made at least 70k-80k starting. After about 5+ years they earn 6 figures

>You wouldn't be making fucking 80k even if you had a masters in CS

In my Uni we had
1. semester: basic set theory + multidimensional algebra
2.: linear algebra
3.: Numerical computation (matlab and numerical precision for the most part)
4.: boolean logic, first order logic, higher order logic, satisfiability checking

I have a brainlet brother who's making within 8k of that number with only a bachelors and he's doing his masters on the side.

you can easily make 80k if you live somewhere that isnt bumfuck nowhere

>paying for college
Just pick up a trade apprenticeship if you don't know what you wanna do for college
At the very least just get your english and math gen ed out of the way

there is a lot more to software engineering which is not taught at schools than pure syntax

This, there's everything from linear algebra through discrete math to differential geometry in my informatics bachelor.

TIL Anywhere thats not CA or WA is bumfuck nowhere. There is no entry level dev scene on east coast period. Every fucking job is senior level. They even have the audacity to put job postings where 4 years min requirements is a junior position...Outside a few select cities in places like CA, WA, and TX it is a complete shit show.

>I dont like computers
>Lemme fucking pick a field, in which, literally revolves around computers.
Seriously, how fucking retarded are you and how did you even manage to get into a University in the first place? Who's cock did you suck?

>There is no entry level dev scene on east coast period
>mfw live on east coast
youre saying i have to move to CA just to get started..?

god damn CA fucking sucks though
its hot and full of illegal mexicans

I'm honestly perplexed by people calling CS a meme

> go to no name state school (ABET accredited tho)
> get okay grades (3.84 gpa)
> decide I wanna try to do cybersecurity with no technical background in it whatsoever
> apply for internships and get like 6 offers, $17 - $33 / hour wages
> get offer from my internship making ~$110k right out of school

I'd be really curious to hear other people's experience with similar routes. Did you just not give a shit and get bad grades? Clearly the school doesn't matter. Do you just suck at interviews?

I honestly don't get it, please someone explain this phenomena to me

What are some examples of projects you'd put on github for the purpose of a portfolio? I want a vague idea of the complexity/size that's expected.

Daddy paid for his education. Universities and College will happily take your money.

>3.84 gpa
>Okay grades
Yeah I guess an A- to A average is just okay

probably yes. every time there is boom in tech firms rush to hire people and they waive the normal requirements. this is how you read shit about people who got a nice job with nothing previous. My college classmate dropped out in 09' because a company offered him a full time position because he had done some app development on the side. An opportunity like that simply doesn't happen in 2018. Figure out what the next boom is gonna be and you can get yourself an easy hire.

Where did you get your first job? I got my first job at 45k in a very low cost city. Now I make 100k and I feel like a king.

Do you have autism?

prove the riemann hypothesis

It's a cybersecurity firm in DC. Cost of living in the area is fairly high (I'll be paying ~$1600/month for a super nice apartment a block from this office which is unnecessary) so that is definitely a factor

Well I browse Sup Forums so that has to give me at least a few aspie points

>$1600/month
thats nothing if you dont have kids, live alone and dont have student loans/car payments to pay off

>I only use computers for entertainment
So why are you on Sup Forums?

>People in the 95th percentile don't have problems getting jobs

Shocking

If you don't have all those things though, why even live? (except for the student loans obviously)

What about that would make my experience 95th percentile? Just the GPA? Don't get me wrong, I definitely try in school but I'm not a genius and I don't study like my life depends on it

I'm just graduating undergrad though. By the time I have all that shit I'll be making more money unless something goes horribly wrong

I definitely dont want kids. Dont plan on being in a relationship, and my car is paid off because it was a used car from 2010. Life is still good.

>don't study like my life depends on it

ha..ha...ha....hahaha...

>No calculus
Ready to become a codemonkey?

In the commercial sector no one cares. Work on a personal project or an internship.

You're fine, chill out jailbait

no if i don't get good grades my parents will kick me out.

Well that sucks. Once you get a nice job you're free though!

well that fucking sucks. I definitely would've never gotten good trades if I was forced into it like that. So many parents don't understand human psychology

I majored in Information Technology. We focused more on networking/sys admin in my degree. The only coding I've done is php and JavaScript, but I have done a fair bit of Bash and some PowerShell.

I'm about to start a job as a Software Engineer at 60k with good benefits in a low cost of living area. How'd I do Sup Forums?

Fail on purpose and call their bluff. After that you'll have all the power