SSHDs

>SSHDs
Is there even a point?

its only like slightly faster than a normal HDD

get a 120gb SSD. They're like less than 60 bux now

how much longer does it last compared to an ssd?

if they got it fucking right

I have a Latitude with 500GB SSHD. I hardly even notice a difference.

theyre memes

Think of it as bigger cache for the HDD. The more you access something on disk the more likely it will be accessed through the large cache or "SSD" side. It helps quite a bit for things you frequently use.

you have no control over what goes in the cache, is the problem. Plus the cache is small compared to an SSD. You can't, for instance, make sure that your machine boots fast because the OS is on flash storage. You can't make sure that some heavyweight application starts quickly. You can only hope that the drives caching method well be mostly good most of the time.

>you have no control over what goes in the cache, is the problem.
Same for your operating system.

>Talks about the OS
>Discussion is not about any OS at all
Great post friend, you totally contributed to the topic at hand, bringing shit that's in a million other threads into this one

Do you used a system with a SSD?

You OS caches files to RAM similarly to how a hybrid drive caches files to the SSD. If you're too retarded to make the connection then maybe you shouldn't be on Sup Forums.

yeah, only slightly. i don't know why i bother when my old boot time was 88 seconds, and now it's 10

So you are pagefuckness user?

agreed
user fuck you you are the reason we have daily apple threads

Get Intel optane

Better performance than WD Black, that is for sure
SSHD is pretty nice since their cache is enough for most stuff and works as intend
Sure, there are things you wanna run entirely in SSD, it's a matter of what shit you need, same as pure HDD (storage/archive instead of speed).
Could be cheaper, tho. Also, seagate's come with 5 years warranty which is nice by itself

It's a super fuckin epic meme since I also got one

Its a good way to lose all your data really fast.

Poorfags

>tfw Intel 320 still going strong after almost 7 years, and almost 20 terabytes of writes

So glad I didn't listen to the FUD fuckers. You eventually replace all hard drives within 4-5 years anyway, SSDs will last way beyond that anyway

SSDs were already good enough in their infancy - I've enjoyed speedy and no OCD harddrive clicking for years, and only 96 media wearout :^)

>tfw even the free Intel maglite and toolkit is still going strong

On for less than 2 years, not 7. And 5000+ starts? The fuck kind of enclosure is this

It's in a laptop.

The enclosure was for my old laptop drive to use as an external

You've powered this laptop on and off twice everyday for 7 years?

I got a 275Gb Crucial for 75 bucks last month.

I have an SSHD, best purchase I've made storage-wise.

That shouldn't come as a surprise. My HDD was around that total before it got corrupted.

Doesn't it add another point of failure? If the caching nand chips die, will the mechanical part continue to operate?

It loads my OS and background services in 30 seconds whereas my HDD took 7 minutes. You tell me if there's a point.

same level of shit meme as Intel Optane

just buy an SSD instead

You won't notice it on first use but over about a week youll notice a couple things load quite faster. Not by much but I pick up 2 500gb sshds for cheap and slapped them in my laptop. It boots sub 10 seconds now with fast boot turned off on windows 10 and games definitely shaved off quite a few seconds on loading, i'd say at least 10-15 seconds quicker.

t. Steve Burke

most consumer SSDs can withstand 1-2 PBs before they show any real issues

>20 TiB in 7 years

how the fu-

My SSD is 4TiB write after 114 days of power on hours

Maybe it counts spinning up from sleep too.

They save physical space.

That's huge improvement

>2min30seconds instead of 3minutes to load a fucking saved game

or you could just buy an SSD and load your saved game in 30 seconds

besides, I wouldn't trust any product from Intel right now because of that hardware bug in all intel CPU from the last 10 years. How do we know that there isn't some nasty bug in Optane??

I got one of these for my PS3 because it was only a couple quid more. I thought they were a total meme before but it's actually a little better at least in that environment. Runs cooler and a little faster. Still takes eons to do anything though.

Total meme, especially for the one in your pic. I own it.

Seagate uses 5400rpm SMR drives for the 2.5" SSHDs. For sustained writes my Samsung M9T is faster. I imagine the 7200rpm Hitachis are even faster.

light loads like a home media server (which would benefit from OS stuff caching on the built in SSD), or consoles which really can't take full advantage of conventional ssd's anyways

The same point as budget graphics cards.

Are you going to replace it, or are you fine with it?

I need 2.5" 2TB drives. The Samsung M9Ts are discontinued now so it's basically the only choice. The Seagate externals I shucked them from are now all SMR garbage.

I got the Seagate SSHDs for $60 on sale. I wouldn't pay more than that. It's the same price I got the Samsungs for.

no. its got like a 2gb ssd in it and it "learns" what your most used shit is so it can store it on the ssd part.
The problem is that your most used "programs" are the fucking operating system which is 30x bigger than the ssd so you see fuckall for performance gains.

SSHDs are great if you need a large storage pool, but you only have a single SATA connector in your device. Think ultra portables or game consoles.