Power's out and I had a thought. In terms of power consumption, its not feasible to run your whole house on a battery...

Power's out and I had a thought. In terms of power consumption, its not feasible to run your whole house on a battery. But what if you had an utter shitload of battery banks, and some public accessible outlets to charge them all? Could you effectively stop paying the power company? Or do computers and consoles require much more current than that? I'm picturing a whole room of battery banks.

Other urls found in this thread:

evbud.com/news/546/
youtube.com/watch?v=At0advb9_fA
harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

some big-time solar people do something like this, having a whole-house battery bank that their panels charge, so they can be either less dependent on, or entirely independent from, the electrical grid. All you need to make it happen is money.

Just build a nuclear reactor

multiple Tesla Powerwalls and solar panels

this already exists.

I've done some research on solar, but given you need high efficiency panels+live in a relatively good area with lots of sunlight its not really feasible for me. I live in mostly cloudy shithole.

Also in terms of solar, panels usually cover things like lights, and will have to generate enough power to keep them on after the sun goes down. What im looking at, is just essentially leeching power from public outlets, then living off of it via shitloads of batteries. No sun required.

Solar panels are a meme. Their charge for a whole day will probably be able to light some bulbs in the house, or give you a few hot showers. Try building a nuclear fission generator, it is not hard, the problem is the fuel, but just a few grams can give you months or even years of electricity.

depends on how much power you can draw from those outlets and if you are willing to carry a shitload of batteries every day

you will also need to think about battery degradation - they lose capacity over time

It's just not cost effective but lots of people live off the grid by necessity in cabins etc. Look at how Ed Begley Jr pretty much was able to take his small home off the grid.
It's just requires a shit ton of deep cycle marine batteries, lots of solar panels and then you still need to be mindful of how much power one might use.
The reason you don't see people so it is cost saving is just not there. Like my current power bill for a 1300sq home is 60ish a month. $25 of that is mostly fees. So I'm really using 40ish worth of power. Why would I want to drop 1000s into trying to move off the grid? To save $60ish?

batteries are great for storing excess power generated by renewable sources. check the battery tesla installed in australia recently that prevented a blackout. I don't think this is feasible on a house to house basis

pretty much this

Just get a diesel generator.

>public accessible outlets
Commie scum.

>power's out
Dumb phoneposting scum.

with suitable devices (12v batteries, car charger for laptop, led lighting) why not. you'd definitely want really small refrigerator and warm water from any other source (heating water with panels on the roof works well since you don't need to store energy anywhere, it's in warm water already)

i think it would be more important to optimize your energy consumption than get unlimited battery works

You have to think in Wh and lifespan of batteries.

1 1.2V AA rechargeable NiMH battery: ~2 Whr

Toaster oven: 2,000 watts

Now running this for an hour to heat up some tendies and hot pockets would require thousands of little AA batteries for 1 use only. Therefore living off batteries is literally impossible.

Best bet would be to get a diesel generator like user a few posts above me said. That's what white trash hicks do.

Have a ups for my computer and monitor,
computer ues about 88 watts, monitor uses around 120-140 watts

computer alone is able to go an hour on the battery, computer + monitor is around 25-30 minutes depending on setting, and if it gets to 5 minutes left it auto shuts down.

as for whole home? tesla makes a battery backup for the home, it lasts something like 3-9 hours at max use which is pretty much (we will run the kitchen, make your food how you want)

its not a viable off the grid method, but it is a viable emergency situation one.

Personally, If money is unlimited, I would have a home backup battery, and a generator, the home back up to be not annoying to neighbors during small outs and the fact its always on so its works as a home ups.

But honestly, a generator and a ups for shit on a device by device basis is probably the way to go, you don't have a shut down of anything important and you don't have have to spend 9-15000$ on a battery, just 1-200 per ups

I would personally get a 300 watt ups for any electronic device if money allowed.

Only two times we could have used a generator, 1 was a transformer for the town getting hit by lightning, and second was a bad storm dumped a tree on the transformer. any other time we get power outs are the first day of summer when everyone's ac kicks on at around the same time, the first freeze of winter where any damaged lines tend to break, and the few times we have scheduled maintenance, the worst of what we have is during massive storms and we get a 1-3 second power out, and generator scenarios are so rare for us that its never been a concern.

Wish humanity would hurry the fuck up and make nuclear batteries safe for home use already. Maybe encase the batteries in 5 inches of lead and require a license to own one or something.

this will never be a thing for home use just because of how it could go wrong or how it could get in the wrong hands, however, town/block/city versions of this could happen.

but then my understanding of how power is gotten from nuclear sources is a bit iffy.

Basically beta males will bombard the musical female conductor with compliments and white knight her because muh lady.

evbud.com/news/546/

So much effort to save what, 100$ a month?

depends on where you live and how much you can stand heat or cold,
summer for us is around 300-400$ due to constant ac, If I could deal with heat a bit more, it may go down to 150~ and If I lived alone I would automate it to say fuck it when i'm not home and when i'm asleep and may be able to get it sub 100$

If I lived close enough to a convenience store that stocks some groceries, I may even be able to go without a full size fridge and just buy what I need daily.

just build two massive stacks of batteries and cycle them....when stack A is nearly consumed change to circuit B, in the meantime you charge stack A with stack B as well. infinite energy! letrollface.jpg

>I'm picturing a whole room of battery banks.

How long would that power a toaster oven?

if u only use a laptop, smartphone no monsterous tv or gaming pc hang your washing on the line only 1 fridge not really a problem

We have radioactive materials in smoke detectors and nothing has really gone wrong as a result other than that boyscout

its just not cost effective
how often does your power go out? is there anything critical going on during that period that needs to stay on? those are the questions you need to ask

if you just want to keep your xbox on and your fridge cold during the one or two power outages a year, its nowhere near cost effective to buy and maintain battery banks.

If you are running a production machine that churns out money, than maybe it would be advisable to have backup power.
If you are running a device that will be damaged but a sudden loss of power, than maybe it would be advisable to have backup batteries

betavoltaics capable of 5000 watt output or more would have to have huge slabs of radioactive tritrium or whatever which people would fuck with guaranteed.

However I can see small 10 watt output betavoltaic battery being used to charge a 10kW array of car batteries slowly which would then just be hooked up to an inverter and 5V USB ports.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

am i the only one who could never get these things to actually work?

>its not feasible to run your whole house on a battery
it is tho, it just has to be implemented and used correctly. the real benefit where most battery storage fails is cycle count and degradation. because you are only using the battery twice per day you are able to get 2 solid years service from the batteries. the way this works is by first installing a grid tied solar inverter with enough solar capacity to charge the bank and some extra to run off peak items(you want to get your mid day power usage to zero), then purchase the batteries to handle 125% of your peak load, so if you use 1kWh over 6hrs your capacity is 7.5kWh, that's $1,000USD, another $6-8k initial for your panels and inverter/installation.

after the first year your electricity bill is now $500 + connection fee + excess usage, why the $500? you're mitigating battery failure/degradation, if after 2 years your battery bank is still in good condition, you now have $500 spare. generally speaking within 5-7 years you get back your investment and you end up paying 1/5th as much for power.

If we were all just a bit more reasonable in terms of energy consumption, batteries are really effective already.

people these days want cook food and dry clothes and heat or a/c their house. those all equal an extremely high rate of consumption.

If we all just slowed down and recognized the miracle of electrical power, $100 worth of lithium cells would be more than enough to keep a person happy. maybe not keep them warm or cook their food, but provide days worth of entertainment and light

youtube.com/watch?v=At0advb9_fA

Check the guys YouTube page. The batteries are cheap enough to diy your own powerwall. Uses like 95% solar/battery/

What do you think the tesla power wall is ?

Its just a bunch of 18650's + some UPS guts smashed together in a white package nearly 10x what the parts cost.

yes its possible, but if you have to ask then this is shit you have no buisness fucking with. just stop before you kill yourself or void your fire insurance + burn your house down at the exact same time.

Musk will never save every one of u

Now I'm pretty curious, what's the difference between the $5K 10kWh tesla wall and half that just spent on car batteries + dc to ac inverter beside space savings?

Is this a serious question?

ye, i want to diy solar panel + battery bank thingie

There was a video on youtube about a guy who made a deuterium reactor. It was really wasteful and just made a lot of heat but it could be a start

you answered your own question already.

DIY vs consumer product

>But what if you had an utter shitload of battery banks, and some public accessible outlets to charge them all
>has public accessible outlets to charge
Why don't you just steal with wire then?

Someone is smoking the devils lettuce.

Okay well lithium batteries are superior in every way to lead acid (like a car battery). Second you don't even use car batteries in this scenario, but deep cycle batteries, which are also lead acid, but are designed for discharge/charge, whereas a car battery is designed for starting a car (often measured in cold cranking amps).

Lithium can be almost completely discharged without damaging the battery, where as a lead acid battery should only be 50% discharged and a full discharge can quickly cause battery damage.

Lastly in terms of cost, because 18650 battery cells are so cheap right now it is actually more economically to built a house battery system with them, especially when you factor that lithium batteries last much longer than lead acid. Also 18650 lithium takes up less space!

Also if you just want to get started in playing with solar then buy this:
harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

It is a very good panel for the price. You can pair it with a walmart deep cycle battery to get started and later on build your own 18650 lithium power bank.

No solar panels are a meme to those who don't understand them. To live off of them you require many of them and a battery array to store the energy for use during the night.

People often think 2-4 are enough buy in fact 20-40 is the minimum.

20 200W panels = 4kW system

Sounds like a lot but it's not since there are only 8 hours of sunshine and the panels will deliver half of the rated watts on average due to clouds, dust, ect.

So on average the panels will generate about 16 kWh of electricity in which most will be used and a few kWh will go to the batteries. This is all assuming you make due with 1/3rd the energy usage of an average american home (~1mWh/month).

I have a Maxoak 50.000 mAh power bank that i charge at work
Haven't charged any of my devices from house's power grid in a long time. Shit is neat. Charges my laptop too.

whoah, thank you kind soul

may we one day all be free from the electric jew

Not really saving much there m80. Even if you charge it daily that's about $1/month assuming 16cents/kWh

I realize that, but it still makes me feel like a smug cunt and that's enough to make me feel less dead inside

This.

You want to drain one customers electricity for your own use.

Just steal diesel, and power a generator.

It is the more patrician theft and requires no batteries, just a vessel to hold the diesel you drain from fuel lumps and trucks.

You should look into buying solar panels and just hooking them up to the mains. just 5 200w solar panels will make you over 100kWh in a month.

That's already ~$20 a month in your pocket or over $100 a year.

It's doable, some dude in Sweden did it.
And then of course the cops raided his house when they noticed a shit load of electricity being pumped back into the grip from that address.

Unfortunately solar panels are a total no-go due to the weather in my shithole of a country.

Get yourself a couple of those USSR nuclear thermopile batteries they used for very remote listening stations and lighthouses.
They work(ed) really well and are encased, just plug it in.

Oh yeah, that sounds completely sane, why have i never considered this

Tesla sells such thing.

coz u r ghey?

It is completely sane, just don't be an idiot and open the casing.. which some Russki did. He got radiation poisoning.

They'd be expensive as though.

nuke batteries work. One powers the Voyager.
I can't say with any confidence how much power they actually generate though.

it's becoming increasingly impractical to have mains to a residential building now though, the biggest cost on my bill is the connection fee, i could switch my power off in the box and use literally zero energy and still be only $20 better off per month.

look into wind turbines, you said weather was shit where you live right?

maybe use that to your advantage, 1kW wind turbines are somewhat small

Well the ones on Voyager were rated at close to 500W at launch, and have now degraded to under 250W. The problem with them is 1.) you need something that's pretty fiercely radioactive (Voyager used plutonium) so that it'll generate enough heat to power the peltiers, and 2.) peltiers are pretty miserably inefficent, compared to something like a steam turbine in a power plant. They're doomed to be, actually, since they can't survive a large thermal gradient, and the efficiency with which you can extract work from a heat source is determined by temperature differential.

I could get them to work, you just needed to press really fucking hard and destroy your finger.

I was just using it as an example. We have power deals here where you can pay the same monthly rate all year regardless of your usage because its averaged off the previous year.

I'm less interested in the cost efficiency and more about how possible it is in concept anyway. Battery technology should be improving, maybe soon we'll have levels of storage that could last us a whole week before going dry. Rigging together a shitload of small banks seems like the precursor to that before its availability.

That guy isn't OP, i'm op
I've been asleep ever since I made this thread while you fags have been keeping the discussion going. Lots of good info in here though.

Don't even bother with AA's for something like this. Look for 18650 batteries.

>public outlets

Where the hell can you fine public power outlets that are free to use? I can't even find water fountains for free water.

Nuclear fission makes energy by using heat to boil water. The steam powers turbines.You need lots of water for this. Lots and lots. Only subs and ships can use them because of all the water they are in. A house would lose more than all of its saved energy costs to pay for turbine maintenance, fuel, and water.

Most of the people I know or have met who actually make an attempt to go "off the grid" use a combination of solar, wind, geothermal and hydro for power. And they're still hooked up to the regular power grid incase something happens

Are 18650s cheap enough to justify the wasted space vs a flat pack?

You weren't supposed to press the edge of the cylinder where the dot was, you were supposed to press the bottom of the battery.

>flat pack
jesus christ, do some reading you fucking hillbilly

Isn't making a lot of heat the whole point?

This is without a doubt the most retarded post I've read all week, congratulations OP.

The problem is that it takes more energy in than the heat it produces. Thus a net loss.

the smart people in puerto rico have been running off solar panels car battery's and inverters

less noise than a generator and you don't need to make constant trips for fuel, less upkeep

OP check out earthships.

>He doesn't own a powerwall.

Puerto Rico here, that is a very small minority.
I am looking into panels since I don't want this shit to happen again, our power company is a fucking joke.

So $6000-12000 for solar panels.
Then unless you want to turn off everything when the sun goes down, you need a huge ass battery. Say you get a powerwall 2 14kWh for $5500.

Add $1000 for a powerful inverter, cables, mounting etc.

So $12500 for a system that lets you use 2kW continuously, but it is 88% efficient so 1760w.

The tesla is under warranty for 10 years, after 20 years it'll almost certainly be busted. Solar panels last about 20 years too.

1760w draw for 20 years at current US prices will cost you $37000.

6% interest for $12500 over 20 years adds up to $9000. It doesn't matter if you took a loan to afford the solar or not, as you could invest the money of you had the cash but didn't get solar.

So solar would save you $15500 over 20 years.
But that's ignoring the work you have to do, the peak limitations of the solar, and perhaps most importantly the wasted energy if you don't use the solar power, which of course depends on how much you are home, but it could be as high as 40%, at which point solar barely pays off.