>Security fixes to address the Meltdown and Spectre timing attacks
Update lads.

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-01/
howtogeek.com/228863/how-to-remove-firefox-hello-and-pocket-from-firefox/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER9
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does it have the ability to hide the tab bar with only one tab automatically?

Buy more ram update?? No way.

hell yeah

Reminder that blocking javascript would also fix this. So why do moron webdevs write their site so that it breaks without javascript?

please wake me up when Fedora has updated the repos

does this fix the random-ass interface freezing when a tab misbehaves?

>pocket is still there

You can rid of that easily.

>private tab still not compatible with quantum

howtogeek.com/228863/how-to-remove-firefox-hello-and-pocket-from-firefox/

Oh, I thought that was just me

because a lot of functionality can only be done with javascript.

Just get NoScript or uMatrix

does it still have the ridiculous dead space along the top menu bar?

You can easily remove those in the Customize menu.

Also update uMatrix and forbid Web Workers globally.

nope, im fine using ryzen, come at me hacker

Add to your userChrome.css

/*
* Description:
* Hide the tab bar when you only have one tab.
*/

.tabbrowser-tab > * {
/* Adjust the tab height to match your theme.
* Default theme:
* Compact 29px
* Normal 33px
* Touch 41px
* */
min-height: 33px !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {
min-height: 0 !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs > :only-child {
visibility: collapse;
}

.tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox {
min-height: 0 !important;
}

.tabs-newtab-button {
height: 0;
overflow: hidden;
}

I'm using Ryzen too but it's still affected by Spectre. Every little bit helps, you can never be too safe.

or i'll just use a browser that's not a piece of shit from the get go

>mfw chromefags won't get a update until 23 january

wrong, only fx pro and apu is affected. stop getting your info from intel shill

>a browser that's not a piece of shit from the get go
And what is that browser?
Also I don't know why you would nitpick about negative space in the toolbars of all things when there are much bigger problems with Firefox

>browser that lets you pretty much customize everything
>naaaah

Fuck, why is Firefox so good but also a slow piece of shit at the same time? JS in Firefox is dogshit slow, and so is basically everything else.

Firefox got a lot faster with 57.

Which other browser has release security fixes for meltdown and spectre?

doesn't really matter when it's hardware level vulnerability you dumb fuck

You can't patch spectre like that. Whomever says they have is lying.

The Firefox update is only a mitigation, it's not a replacement for a kernel patch.

Thank you user. I now have a reason to use it again.

I know it's a hardware bug and calling it security fix is incorrect but you still not telling me which other browser has release update to mitigate the attack.

none of them, because it's beyond the application level

I know I'm a brainlet but how do I set default settings on uMatrix? I have to allow that stupid gstatic thing every time I open Sup Forums

Their JS vm is still slow as hell compared to V8, everything canvas or graphics related seem to be the same story.

Chrome is just better for muh interactivity.

>browser that's not a piece of shit from the get go
But what browser is this?

Quit being a tard. Of course you can't completely patch it through applications. But spectre in particular can't really be patched out thoroughly at all, especially at this point. Mitigations are helpful, and both firefox and umatrix have taken steps towards limiting how the exploit can be used by malicious websites.

Actually, the hardware vulnerability can only be executed through applications. Yeah, it's a hardware vulnerability, but you can either patch the kernel, or the applications you use to fix it. You're stupid if you think the only solution is getting a different cpu that fixes the issue.

You're only option right now is to update your browser.

Is NoScript still okay to use? Do I have to switch to uMatrix? I really hate the UI in uMatrix.

Yes.

Yes, NoScript is okay? Or yes, I have to switch?

How do you not hate the UI in NewScript? It's basically a bastardized imitation of uMatrix.

At this point almost everything that made Noscript better is dead, and gorhill keeps throwing better shit on uMatrix, like attacking the mechanism behind coin miners. I'd say suck it up and start working on your filter lists.

Either is fine, you can even use both, noScript can block individual scripts and has security features that uMatrix doesn't. However uMatrix, while not being able to disable individual scripts, can block CSS, images, etc.

I didn't know they changed NoScript's UI for Quantum. It does look ugly.

>while not being able to disable individual scripts
And by this mean, not being able to differentiate a google script from another google script

That's what ubo is for

Ryzen is impacted by specter. Almost everything is. I'm a huge AMD shill but like come on and be reasonable

nigger can't even spell

>firefox after 56
No thanks. I like addons that require lower level access that webextentions can't offer to actually work.

So does my malware ;^))

BUT HOW DO YOU DO YOUR CAPTCHAS?

He could have a pass

have they fixed the permanent 100% GPU utilization for AMD graphics cards after you watch a YouTube video yet?

Is my Nokia 6010 impacted by Spectre?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER9

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC

Prove it. Im waiting.

firefox 23 here
i dont give a fuck or have javascript enabled

friendly reminder that you can auto update on linux
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

Even Pentium II is and it was released in 1997.

FUCK

Don't worry, I'm sure Nokia will patch your phone soon :^)

cuck

Nah, man, I'm worried about my PII.

:^)

>>because a lot of functionality can only be done with javascript.
33% of that functionality is pointless UI tinkering and another 66% is advertising. Both of these are things we shouldn't have on the web.

You can update Firefox through the application itself instead of OS updates.

>too dumb to spend 10 seconds on customizing the look of the browser
I bet you left pocket enabled too

Pic related.

UI is extremely important to the end user.
In fact it's so important that users would rather use a slow, bloated site with friendly UI over an ugly, raw fast functional site.

Why do you think phone apps like Snapchat,instagram and such made the devs into millions? Nothing they did was new technology.

True, but sadly many modern websites don't bother providing a way to use their features properly without javascript. So the fact that it can be done is irrelevant.

I've heard disconected eathernet cable is way good protection.

That feeling when somobody just installed you a backdoor based on real bug in processor and hidden it beyond some fictional attack that can, well tell a load on your computer.

Congratulations on fitting negative 3 posts worth of information into one sentence.

How much slower is it?

Does Sup Forums x not work with 57? I tried to install the latest build, but it just passes me right back to the github page I was on.

All they changed were a couple minor settings to make them un-exploitable.

>the best addon still doesn't work
REEEEEEE

Is there anything like Session Manager for FF57?

too many addons
hope they patch ESR too

I'm still using FF 34 and this won't make me have to break all my shit to be """""secure""""".

Simple Tab Groups is somewhat like that. It's like a fusion between the tab groups FF used to have and a session manager. Instead of just keeping all of the other tabs open, but in the background for you to quickly swap, Simple Tab Groups stores all the pages and then when you switch groups it closes all the tabs quickly and then opens all the ones in the group you selected.

I like it, but it sometimes just doesn't open everything or save every page between browser sessions.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0

Guess I'll be sticking to an older version or move to Waterfox/ESR, then.

I wouldn't. Pre-Quantum is on borrowed time. There really was so much wrong with the browser, it's amazing how we put up with its shit security and lack of multithreading for so long, not to mention all the bloat they couldn't trim because of addons. But if you literally can't live without an old addon then I guess using a old niche browser is really the only option, at least until the last of the devs give up on it.

not at all
vio.lent-mon.key

Session manager is a god send when you have a whole bunch of tabs. The alternative linked in the other user's post doesn't really handle it; it just opens the tabs, one at a time, instead of replacing the entire session. That"d be fine with

no he can't - he hasn't got the little picture

Well, keep looking. Hopefully some day you can find something to free you from palememe.

>it just opens the tabs, one at a time, instead of replacing the entire session.
It replaces the entire session. It's essentially like a storage of all the tabs like what a session manager would do. Once you pick the group, it'll open all those tabs at once like if you just opened the browser from a crashed session.

I like this more than the original tab groups because they're not running in the background and thus don't slow down the browser. However, it's still a bit buggy.

>1000+ tabs
wow if only there was to save a link to a webpage you want to refer back to. maybe someday browsers will have something like that!

Updated on phone
Thanks Jewzilla

who else smug here

operafag that just switched to firefox here, why the fuck does this take up so much ram? It was using 2gb with 3 tabs open

All software will take as much RAM as your system can provide because it's faster to use it rather than disk memory. Firefox doesn't use more RAM than Chromium browsers at all. If you want to lower the RAM consumption then tweak the browser in about:config, example by reducing the number of recently closed tabs you can re-open from 10 to 1 or 2.

windows? try the proccess option in preferences

Update for ESR when ?

is it possible?

How the fuck do I transfer my shit from Opera to Firefox? All you can transfer is bookmarks and I need more than that
Why isn't there an option to import everything like you can do from Chrome
God I hate opera

there is, it should ask you in the beginning but there are also import options in library so you could export your shit from opera first in the least