RIP HEVC

Other urls found in this thread:

aomedia.org/about-us
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When is Apple getting on webm bandwagon?

This is pretty much it

Soon.™

RIP x265 as well

>apple
>less than 10% market share
irrelevant

Anyway this meme codec won't become relevant outside of streaming websites. HEVC decoders are widespread even on phones, we have yet to see mass adoption of av1 decoders yet so websites won't even attempt to stream content in av1 video for a few years.

by then something will replace hevc and compete with av1 already

>applel
>open codec
u can't seriously believe this

>no AMD
I-I thought they were the good guys?

They're smart enough to see AV1 flopping like daala did. It promises way too much and won't be able to deliver.

At best it will be 10-20% more efficient than hevc but take 2-4X as long to encode.

AV1 was frozen less than a month ago, of course there's no hw decoders out there, it's literally brand new
So much this, guess they aren't getting much from MPEG-LA
Daala never flopped, at first it was a next gen codec that was supposed to be done in a lot of time, but when AOM happened it became a research codec
Quite some of it's features are adopted by AV1, so by any means it didn't flop
Stop shitposting about things you don't know
Also, it's already almost as fast as HEVC encoding wise and faster decoding wise, while providing 30+% improvement in bitrates, there's plenty of benchmarks out there

>They're smart enough to see AV1 flopping like daala did

How can you flop when you were never production ready?

You're an idiot.

x265 was never alive to begin with

Good.
It's about a time, they support webm for the Safari.

This is a really good thing. No way formats should be licenced or patented its t w o t h o u s a n d a n d e i g h t e e n, open standards are the way format

x265 has been a nice bridge but its never going to be like x264.

It's the most popular and effective software encoder for h.265, are you retarded?

If you're implying it's a slow encoder, just wait for AV1 encoding. You'll blow your goddamn brains out waiting for your chinese cartoons to finish encoding.

how do you 'join' something as a founding member? surely you'd have to be there from the start?
they're members, just not 'founding' members.
aomedia.org/about-us

Why would anyone use HEVC or AV1 for chinese cartoons?

having autism

more weebshit/GB

I hope this means x265 is dead, too.

Fucking Indians keep shrinking x264 content with it.

x265 is effective? by being single threaded just because it gives an edge to intel?

are you mad soy boy?

the fuck? I just fucking bought an 8700k because it had h265 hardware decode and now they're coming out with something else?

>buying for an old format

you brought this on yourself

>how do you 'join' something as a founding member? surely you'd have to be there from the start?

Probably invested a fair sum of money.

Don't care about hevc.

When are we finally gonna ditch jpg, png and gif for webp or flif?

wtf I hate Daiz now

fuck webp, but flif is interesting.

>Apple joins ...
RIP Alliance for Open Media

never

what are you niggers talking bout?
265 is 1/3 the size of 264 and retains the exact same quality.
Tested with an 1 hour 5 gb video of a real tv show. I dont know how it would work with cartoons, probably amazing.

h265 only shines at very low bitrates, that is, when the video looks shit either way
it's good for making more tolerable shit video, such as streaming, but isn't really worth the time over h264 for high quality video

HEVC never lived in first place. Only some re encoders use it.

Yeah but when I illegally download movie and tv show torrents the Highest quality are the Itunes rips, even though I own nothing apple.

If you dont keep the videos then it wouldnt be worth the time, but as someone who does keep the video 265 makes a world of difference.
Im waiting on av1 to see how that compares before going back and retranscoding everything else. Its not acceptable for a show to take 60gb when it could only take 20gb and look exactly the same, and if the goal is to preserve quality then a raw iso rip is what should be stored and that has no place in this particular conversation.