PMP / DAP Thread

Anyone using something besides their phone for portable music?

If so, what?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-BLACK-160GB-Thin-Back-Housing-For-iPod-Classic-7th-Rear-Cover-Plate-Panel/263415749980?hash=item3d54cd5d5c:g:l9cAAOSwagdXR2-m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

well?!?!?

I don't have $$$ to try out PMP/DAP but I like reading "Obscure Chinese DAPs" thread on Head-fi.

I used to run a clip+ until it died when it hit the floor from desk height.
Then I got a second one, and it also died.
Since they are no longer sold I could try to fix them but right now I'm just finding the right parts and stuff to revive two iPods, an A1136 and an A1040. Sadly, can't find the others I had.

Right now, using the phone only, but I really dislike using it for music. I wish PMPs hadn't died from popular culture.

Same, I just like how they look all together.

I'd like to get a sansa clip+, but they're too expensive for what you get nowadays. Also looking at the players from shanling, but I'm not sure about buying one

Someone buy me this

>Also looking at the players from shanling, but I'm not sure about buying on

I've got an m1. Pretty good.

xDuoo X10. It does the job perfectly.

How long does the battery last?

It's rated for around 10 hours? I've never used it for long enough that it would die before charging though so not sure. Haven't read anything bad though.

I've been using a sansa clip zip with rockbox for a few years now. It survived the washing machine so its a tough little guy at the very least. I don't like wasting money on electronics that can't [spoiler]play Doom[/spoiler]. If you follow that principal you'll be less disappointed with your purchases.

I miss the pmp/dap general
Such a shame phonefags had to ruin that as well

Get a Sony Walkman. It will literally be the only DAP you'll need for the next 5-8 years.

I had a shanling M2, later got a Cayin N3
Also have a half broken ipod classic.
Also had 2 clip zips.
They're cool but not very impressive or anything. Cayin N3 got the best output even though it doesn't play well with my current IEM.
Also DAPs are overpriced.

$20 on eBay. Works well enough for me to never use Spotify again. Tell me why we stopped using theses things?

Can't justify the cost of the midrange ones.

>Tell me why we stopped using theses things?

Consolidation of devices into phones with "good enough" performance for most people + streaming.

M2 and M3s look nice but wanted something small. I almost want the Pico Paw in the OP but it's basically an objective downgrade over my M1, and more expensive.

I think you can find used ZX100 for reasonable prices now.
Just be careful using anything Sony with BA IEMs.

If you want something really small the chink ATJ players are the only choice. They have decent battery too. Software is shit but they can display album art.

Good ol' sansa clip

>Can't justify the cost of the midrange ones.
I'll help.

A15 model:

>50 hour battery life
>SD Support
>Amazing sound
>Great UI
>Will literally last years (a Sony Walkman I bought 9 years ago and with daily use still has a better battery life than most players today)
>Rockbox is supported (if you're into that)
>Small and lightweight enough to actually be portable

You can go ahead and buy chinkshit once or twice a year after it inevitably fails, but you're just wasting your money.

Picked up an iPod Video with a broken headphone jack. I'm going to replace the HDD with an SD card and use the extra space to add an amp.

PowerAmp+Viper4android with a profile for your earbuds.
Enjoy your placebo.

That's the low end one technically

Seems like I can only conveniently get an a16 or a20 here.

I'll consider it if my M1 breaks, otherwise no need. 50 hour battery life sounds like nonsense though.

It doesn't offer anything over your current M1, other than maybe a bit easier to hold (the older A1x/A2x have a small bar-style body).

Are there any non Sony which support ldac?

Yeah the newer ones do
Also not many people seem to utilize this but they can also be used with a external USB DAC.

Fug thought you meant Sony.
Non-Sony no, none do, they have aptX instead.

Mobilephones have become extra scary botnets these days.
So I use cassette tapes.

Why not both bruh.

Yeah, hence the break part. Though really if I find a used one for cheap I might get the paw pico OP thing. Don't give a shit about a screen.

The benjie s5 is actually about as small, just more vertical. It's also a lot cheaper so maybe consider that too.

I really just want a LTE dumbphone that can WiFi hotspot and play music off a microsdcard

>benjie s5

In Japan so I think that's sold as the AGPTEK or whatever. The last cheap chifi dap I bought before the M1 was the xduoo x2, here Was complete garbage though and the s5 looks similar UI wise so pass. Don't need something THAT cheap.

Does such a thing exist? I know of LTE featurephones with SD card slots but using that as the only music player seems weird. Why is a dumbphone needed if you need LTE and wifi

are there any new models that have a microsd slot? all i have seen are those shitty 4gb internal memory models and i might as well use a phone if thats the only option.

Get a normal LTE/4G router/modem and give it a battery-pack.
Or get an M.2 LTE/4G module for your ThinkPad™.

to be 100% honest, I use my iPhone because it scrobbles.

Like all of them do now

New models of what, portable music player? The vast majority accept SD cards yes.

Ironically that OP image is one of the few that do not.

>buy something for audiophiles
>listen to .mp3
wow

if you care about this you are dead set retarded

192 is transparent, fite me bitch boy

>you have to be a carpenter to buy a hammer

Colorfly c3

I've thought about loading some .flac on it to compare but it doesn't sound bad enough to me to bother. Maybe I will anyway, but then I'd have to buy a bigger SD card so not sure if I care enough.

And maybe 50% of the purpose of the device for me is so I can listen to music without using my phone, meaning a lot of the music is kind of shitty soundcloud rips. A lot of it is bandcamp downloads and they have a flac option but I've always just gone mp3 320 or something else.

ok. i looked in a store once and all they had were expensive sony players with 2gb or less storage and no option to expand that.

has anyone used a sony NW-A35? how does it compare to more common chinkshit options from fiio or whomever?

My wheel is starting to get glitchy, though.
Anything left out there with a real control wheel?

I've got one of those, pretty nice player. I just need a new battery for mine. You could check out the Sansa Fuse. I don't know what they go for now but it's like a 3rd gen iPod Nano with a physical clickwheel

Better interface. Less format support. Uses a proprietary port.
Audio quality is OK.
If you don't need a nice looking interface or touchscreen shanling M2s might be a better choice, or Cayin N3 if you use BA IEMs.

Alright.

And using dual dynamics.

Worst than Fiio x3 but Sony's UI is way better

Fuck portable. If I allowed myself to get drawn into that garbage I'd never have gotten into stereo. Going to see some loudspeaker today, sound is gonna be insanely good, lol to all nerds listening to all music on their massdrop hd6xx

Some of us leave the house my man.

What does Sup Forums think of the fiio x1?

Shanling M1 is better

Sony nw a35, its ok for the price

Walkman fan.

>not the COPPER BODY FOR PREMIUM SOUND edition

Ipod classic desu it's great and the battery is long lasting. gonna get an sd card board for it soon need to find a way to make it heavier though since it probably feels like paper without the hdd

Nah m8 it won't be too light. And why would you want it to NOT be light anyway?
Consider battery mod too.

i like devices to have a small bit of weight to them makes it feel more rugged kek. how do i do that can i just swap out the li ion with a bit of soldering?

Buy premade ipod batteries.
Or get your own cell and solder the board from the original battery.

probably gonna get one of these when i get the board ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-BLACK-160GB-Thin-Back-Housing-For-iPod-Classic-7th-Rear-Cover-Plate-Panel/263415749980?hash=item3d54cd5d5c:g:l9cAAOSwagdXR2-m

Do you know if the 80gb model can support more than 80gb without having to use rockbox?

No idea, I don't care for stock fw

isnt that just an android device without phone features?

that looks pretty slick. that's a shanling m1? what's the storage like?

Not him but I can imagine he wants something streamlined for called and messaging. Maybe a flipphone or a texting phone?

I've got a Dodocool DA106, it's pretty great.
I like to change music using physical buttons.

It's not android

0MB

Sansa Clip Zip + Rockbox + big sdcard

best i've ever used, and I've tried a bunch
>boots immediately
>software is perfect
>supports Opus for compressing a giant flac library into tiny files that still sound good
>disappears in your pocket
>clips to gym clothes with no pockets
>weighs nothing

I seriously think PMP technology is regressing. All I want is a tiny form factor with tactile buttons and a very responsive interface that supports tons of files, and this is the closest one.

I have Bluetooth headphones from Christmas now so I can officially stop autisming about PMP headphone jack voltage because the dac is in my headphones and every device will sound the same

Look for chink players on aliexpress if you want something cheap with expandable storage.

most pairs of earbuds have dedicated audio controls, do you specifically need two separate buttons for changing the track order?

is it possible to replace the battery in those?

can be done, but it's not a swappable battery. soldered in. it's not designed to be tinkered with. if it breaks or the battery dies i'll just buy another, even though it's more expensive nowadays.

Still my favorite PMP. Latest rockbox doubled the battery life on it. Gonna use it till it dies.