Now I have another question: What do you have against VLC player? I don't understand...

Now I have another question: What do you have against VLC player? I don't understand.. it performs well on anything I use it on.

just enable opengl output faggot

VLC ads always look like ads for malware. The first time I downloaded it by accident and promptly deleted it thinking I downloaded some dangerous ransomware or some shit.

My weeb friend has been bitching about color accuracy, I can see the difference but it doesn't bother me personally

It's pretty much fine, if you can't tell why people use other players you probably don't need to care.

I use mpv because it has native youtube-dl compatibility and easy scripting. I also like the extremely minimal design, even if it is less usable at times it makes me happy when things are simple.

Nah, I just see all these people bitching about VLC and I have no idea why. Although the design of VLC looks like it came from 2005 I don't really bother... it's simple to use.

Because it's not cool enough for the hipsters that are bitching. It's FOSS, not slow, and plays everything out of the box. No real reasons to hate on it.

There's just better alternatives. When vlc starts using mpvs library it will be a lot better though.

Some of it is that nu-Sup Forums has a lot of people who have a hard time forming independent opinions so they try to just apply rough heuristics to guess which opinions they should choose to follow.

One of those heuristics is that someone who rejects "mainstream" opinions is more likely to be correct, so you'll see a lot of people who latch on to anything that is adjacent to but not actually popular. Rejecting Chrome/Firefox in favour of nearly identical, but still different, forks is an example of that behaviour. A lot of Sup Forums users don't really understand why they "should" use something else, but they have a general feeling it is the informed and smart thing to do.

Likewise, mpv is seen as the "smart" alternative to mpc-hc and vlc - in much the same way mpc-hc was if you go back 5 years.

it looks worse than other players
"it just werks" is a fine reason to use it, but I don't mind spending 2-4 hours (one time) configuring my video filters to look really great

mpv and mpc+madvr do have better rendering though. Better color management, upscaling algos, etc. Its very noticeable with proper configuration and display. Its not about whats hip, its about code. Hopefully libplacebo will be implemented sooner rather than later.

"some of it"

I personally find MPV faster and more smooth when seeking, having a less intrusive UI by default, not having gray pixel artifacts when I resume a video after pausing for a few minutes, not cutting off the last 0.2-0.5 seconds of audio files and all this while being lighter on resources. I have nothing against VLC in general. I just think MPV is a better video player without any of the listed flaws.

media player classic does more and runs just fine

>not cutting off the last 0.2-0.5 seconds of audio files
Don't you mean the first 0.2-0.5 seconds? That's been the issue for me...

They prefer to use the keyboard. Those filthy animals.

This, but unironically.

Bloated af.

SMPlayer with mpv works best for me.

> not actually going looking for VLC from an official source by deliberate investigation

Why the fuck are you even clicking on Ads for anyplace?
If some ad pops up that seriously interests you, just go looking for whatever its fielding by your own devices rather than taking what its handing to you. WTF.

If I heard an Ad on the radio and it got me interested in some buffalo wings for some local place, I wouldnt be able to click on it to take me there, id just have to get on the bus and hop over there in person myself.

You're on Sup Forums but I seriously doubt your intelligence.

Are you the mpvirgin or the VLChad?

Because its GUI is not minimalistic enough for the autistes on Sup Forums.

It still shits itself when it comes to random seeking.

Sup Forums autists hate things that just work

I finally switched out of VLC after years of using it because it has a bug where it freezes and fills the screen with white pixels which are then washed out by the next shot. I've seen this on many different PCs and even at some screenings that used it so I've long since stopped assuming it's a problem with my PC. I just stopped and thought, why tolerate this when better alternatives exist?
MPV and MPC are both looking fine so far.

Why do niggers use the latest version of vlc?
I've been on 1.11.1 for 4 years, the only good version.

That's where you're wrong. MPV and VLC just work OOTB for me. I don't need to do any configuring whatsoever. VLC just feels more clunky.

ITS FUCKING SLOW.

>a hard time forming independent opinions
lmao not just nu/g/ it's like this everywhere.

this generation is just so god damn impressionable it's sad

It records video history OOTB.

why 1.11.1?

It works well, but lacks a lot of the customization features that other media players have. It's a good media player if you want something that "just werks", but if you're willing to spend less than five minutes setting something up than MPC is the better option.

It's been infected by an NSA botnet.

Tell him to change the NVIDIA colours to "full" in control panel.

Cia zerodays

wut

shit documentation

extremely verbose command line options

geometry commands don't actually work with any x window manager

frequently skips first 5 seconds of files

some features break with unicode file names

media codec info is often different from what every other utility says

tree style playlist is the only unique and useful feature vlc provides

It's French.

/thread

You should reject Chrome, but hating FF/Chromium is usually just trying to fit in.

Hating on VLC is a meme the MPV shills started almost at the same time they did with MPlayer.

Hating on VLC has ben a meme for longer than mpv has existed

Some people are just autistic and don't mind using software that has better versions of itself out already or just better software alternatives

does it open up and seek as fast as mplayer/mpv?

no
no deal
i ain't got time to wait for a bloated piece of software to load into memory before it does what i want it to do

i would use it if i was a casual and didn't know how to mpv commands tho

savvy?

chromium is mostly developed by google.
being open-source doesn't mean shit

It means you can see what it does/fork it. It's still shady but you actually know what's going on.

Works on my machine

This. This is why so many use Arch

Mpv+YouTube-dL is vastly superior to VLC when it to streaming content. Pops up faster, less disk spacer, portable, etc.

On top update a lot, it has a lot of adds-on , scripts , shaders.

potplayer is better at least on windows

only thing that stops me from switching to VLC:
minimalist view still has Title Bar.
you can't play/pause video simply by clicking on the video.

you could put a macro on your mouse buttons that simulates a space bar press when you're in VLC

i could or i could just use MPC-HC.

you can also drag the window by clicking and holding anywhere on the MPC-HC window. you don't need a title bar to move the window.
capatcha:
calle calle