Someone calls the Netherlands Holland

>someone calls the Netherlands Holland
>1 000 000 reddit-tier nu males who have seen that one CGP-grey video flock to """""""correct"""""""" the person

Dutch people literally do not care. Call us Netherlands, call us Holland, call us wathever. Most dutch people do not care.

Other urls found in this thread:

holland.com/global/tourism.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Russian have the tendency to call you Holland (Гoллaндия) too.
I heard it's because Holland was the most relevant province of the Netherlands at some point, so other Europeans associated Holland with the entire country.

desu

I really don't give a fuck. only autismo maximus sperglords care

>I heard it's because Holland was the most relevant province of the Netherlands at some point

Still is, by far.

It's because there are so many gosh damn Dutch homosexuals on the internet.

hollanti

In the post-Soviet cunts have a stable stereotype that Holland is a land of a weed and gay-prides lol

they're not wrong

also pay for MH17 you fuck

What if I call the Dutch 'Clog wogs'?

We call ND Holland just like we call UK England, it's easier like that.

All the Dutch people I know say they are from Holland not The Netherlands

>official name "Netherlands"
>often also called "Holland"
>people are called "dutch"

>also pay for MH17 you fuck
but I didn't hit that plane

We did/do the same with England, at the time when they were colonizing from what I know most of their control came from England anyway and anybody that stood by them basically represented them too.

some cyka rebel of yours did shoot it down tho

you can either pay in infinite blowjobs or money

Same in Italian. The official names are Regno Unito (UK) and Paesi Bassi (Netherlands), but you just say Inghilterra and Olanda most of the time.

>Paesi Bassi
No offense but that's tipically what I expected italian to be like, french with i at the end of words lel

Why aren't people from the Netherlands called "hollish" or netherish? Where did Dutch come from?

Really makes me think

They are not Ukraine already.

Those names are terrible touty kraut.

>Deutschland
>Not actually Dutch

There is no translation of ''netherlands'' in turkish, we just call your country holland, and call the dutch language, hollandish.

But funnly enough belgium and flemish has translations.

I would like Netherlanders more tbf, I don't know how the fuck they came up with Dutch.

Yup. English uses English words in an English way.

Same thing with Bombay/Mumbai, which was a huge unnecessary controversy on Wikipedia a few years ago.

holland is a dutch word.

Because you are a rogue province of Germany.

But you're literally called "Holanda".

How about bike dykes?

Your offical tourist website is literally holland.com

holland.com/global/tourism.htm

I know. so what?

>mfw some people unironically named a country after our president

HOLLAND: early 14c., from Dutch Holland, probably Old Dutch holt lant "wood land," describing the district around Dordrecht, the nucleus of Holland. Technically, just one province of the Netherlands, but in English use extended to the whole nation.

NETHERLANDS: from Dutch Nederland, literally "lower land"; said to have been used by the Austrians (who ruled much of the southern part of the Low Countries from 1713 to 1795), by way of contrast to the mountains they knew, but the name is older than this. The Netherlands formerly included Flanders and thus were equivalent geographically and etymologically to the Low Countries.

DUTCH: late 14c., used first of Germans generally, after c. 1600 of Hollanders, from Middle Dutch duutsch, from Old High German duit-isc, corresponding to Old English þeodisc "belonging to the people," used especially of the common language of Germanic people, from þeod "people, race, nation," from Proto-Germanic *theudo "popular, national", from PIE root *teuta- "people" (source also of Old Irish tuoth "people," Old Lithuanian tauta "people," Old Prussian tauto "country," Oscan touto "community").

As a language name, first recorded as Latin theodice, 786 C.E. in correspondence between Charlemagne's court and the Pope, in reference to a synodical conference in Mercia; thus it refers to Old English. First reference to the German language (as opposed to a Germanic one) is two years later. The sense was extended from the language to the people who spoke it (in German, Diutisklant, ancestor of Deutschland, was in use by 13c.).

Sense narrowed to "of the Netherlands" in 17c., after they became a united, independent state and the focus of English attention and rivalry. In Holland, Duits (formerly duitsch) is used of the people of Germany. The Middle English sense survives in Pennsylvania Dutch, name of the people who immigrated from the Rhineland and Switzerland.

[Not Dutch]

What about Limburg? Nearly all Dutch people I asked about Limburg used that opportunity to make fun of it, ostracise it, call it "the scrotum of the country" and so on.
I want to meet a person from there so they can tell me how they feel about it, though.

But the general feeling I got from it is that Holland is (quite literally) the entire European part of Netherlands, except Limburg.
Is Limburg Holland?

This.

And people from Holanda are Holandês/Holandeses

We ain't got time to know all y'all's names, we still call germany Alemanha. We don't care how you identify, we call a cow a cow.

just a meme

Yo Dutch people,
Is Toverland worth a visit?

>people unironically watching CGP Grey

Might as well watch Alternate History Hub. CGP Grey only ever makes surface facts and never really goes deeper than the average infograph does, then he extrapolates retarded conclusions on top of that. AHH is exactly the same.

Netherlands is a mouth full and makes you sound like a butthole or hell, or a shitty swamp

In Arabic the whole area is called Hollanda, there's no translation for the Netherlands except Hollanda

if you are 12 it is

apendix:

the only Dutch theme park worth visiting for foreigners is the efteling (maybe 1 hour of driving farther than toverland).

>>someone calls the Netherlands Holland
I'm one of those people

lees de paal nou eens hans

in Finnish both Hollanti and Alankomaat are correct

>Dutch people literally do not care.
But I do care. I do it to trigger Brabant and Limburg scum

Ik (OP) kom zelf uit brabant piemelhoofd. Niemand hier maakt het iets uit.

>ik spreek voor iedereen in Brabant

Is that so? How about I give you mouthful?

ik spreek vanuit mijn ervaring; hoe mensen om mij heen praten

Holland is just shorter desu
should be called Dutchland

Actually, I do care, you stupid faggot.

Deutsch -> Dutch
what's not to get?

>Actually, I do care, you stupid faggot.

uit welke irrelevante miem-provincie kom jij

I've lived in 5 of the 12 provinces. I'm from those, I guess.

Holanda.

Holandés/Holandeses

>i talk for everyone in the Netherlands and samefag the shit out of this thread

Kill yourself..
kankergek

>at some point
Holland is still the only part that matters. the rest of the country consists of farmers

Países baixos.

I live 10 km from it. It's fun, mostly for children though. We could get high together and do some rides?

Holland is a multiculti ghetto.

farmer detected

But it's actually incorrect

Yet Holland consists for about 50 percent of black people and Arabs. The rest of the country luckily is still white. Dont visit holland or as I say new Arabia.

Achemed Al Hollandi detected.

how hard would it be to move to netherlands?
Your language is easy af to learn if ur first lang is english, and your country is adorable

we're full

Thanks based Holanda.

try our friendly neighbour Germany, they love immigrants

Same here.

We're full, try Sweden.

I take comfort in knowing "muh country is ruined" fags are universal.

Why did you call your other president after my local bakery, dude?

Shouldn't be too hard, depends on what you want to do here. working or studying? I have to remind you that Netherlands has been chosen as the worst country for expats because people have trouble integrating socially. If your a student or outgoing you should be fine though.

>integrating socially
what do u mean by this
are dutch lads usually more quiet and standoff-ish or more social and friendly

>1 000 000 reddit-tier nu males who have seen that one CGP-grey video flock to """""""correct"""""""" the person
I still don't know what the hell you're talking about.

CGP Grey is a YouTuber who makes interesting videos of random shit. The one OP mentioned is about the Netherlands and how to best describe it. It was posted on reddit and since that place is a liberal political correctness shithole, they jump at every opportunity to correct others on what 'feels' right and what doesn't.

how many different names can one place have
United Provinces
Spanish Netherlands
Low Countries

Why is it netherlanders and not netherregioners for example.

Maastricht is pretty chill, haven't been there often though.

Chiraq?

hello dutchlandia

The people who refer to the Netherlands here as Holland tend to be much older people but younger ones call it Netherlands.
Anywhere else have this

nope. our language only has holland, netherlands in translation (madalmaad) would refer to the whole benelux region

Burgundian Netherlands
Habsburg Netherlands
Seventeen Provinces
Republic of the Seven United Netherlands AKA Dutch republic
Batavian Republic
Kingdom of Holland
Sovereign Principality of the United Netherlands
United Kingdom of the Netherlands

Are there any non-English speaking countries that call this place anything other that an variation of ''holland''?

I know about ''pays bas'''so that doesn't count.

t. Randstad moslim

russians call it both нидepлaнды netherlands and гoллaндия holland

We have neerlandés but if Países Bajos is rarely used imagine this demonym.

We have "Nederland".
Even though it's not incorrect, it's very uncommon to refer to the Netherlands as "Holland" in Norwegian.

Romance-speaking country all have a translation for Pays-Bas. I would say that only refined people use it tho.

Países Bajos

There is nothing wrong with Reddit.