Why aren't you using Visual Studio Code?

Why aren't you using Visual Studio Code?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@caspervonb/why-i-still-use-vim-67afd76b4db6?21
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you colorblind by any chance?

that themes do not apply for the menu bar ticks me off

I dont support microsoft at all.
Yeah its good, but if I am using such a shitshow, I will use Atom.

Other than that I use VIM and PyCharm so yeah...

I am not colorblind

Shut up jew

don't have 64GB RAM to run a JavaScript/Electron application

Electron isn't that bad. At least it isn't as autistic as VIM.

Not too bad OP, but it would be better with some skulls thrown around.

half of Sup Forums is too busy going through vim/emacs cargo cult stage
another half is anti-microsoft neckbeards

because I don't code...

Because I use the Visual Studio Community IDE for pretty much everything I code

it does on ubuntu

Botnet

It doesn't on Fedora 27 :(

I should file a bug report to MS!

Same reason I don't use atom, fucking editor uses JS and eats all my fucking RAM and takes 10 seconds to start up.

I tried to like it but, nope.

I do.
That being said...
>Electron isn't that bad.
It is that bad.
This.

Why would anyone use Electron based editor when Sublime Text is around?

>Sublime Text
LMAO

VCode is atleast open source

why would you NOT use vim is the question, i literally feel crippled using any other editor.

VIM is autistic

Why does it matter if it's still a full blown web browser for editing text?

It's because you're a cripple.
Because if I buy a closed source text editor it is for the whole purpose of handling GBs of text with very long line endings.
ST can't handle it.
Neither can VIM or Emacs, btw.

You want an explanation about why open source software is preferable?

how? .. what did I do wrong ...

maybe it's just a bug with in your theme? Have you tried with adwaita dark or any other other popular one, like Arc?

are you one of these freetards that take bugged, ugly, slow application over nicely working program with excellent performance?

c-c-code blocks

I bet you do the terminator shower routine as well

>took 5 seconds to open
i think im going to stick in sublime

Because text editors are an inferior choice if you're writing anything more serious than fizzbuzz. Assuming you bought your PC within the last decade, of course.

I use it for a job to program Haskell with haskelly. Feels much better than Atom. I wonder how the hell GitHub can't use their own technology better than Microsoft.

this tbqhf

yes it was, works fine in other dark themes! thanks for the tip, using Adapta Nokto Eka here.. gotta find that bug since I like the theme

>using Electron """desktop""" applications

ISHYGDDT

atom has vim mode you pleb

2s on intel "-30%" i7

how about opening 50MB xml file?

idk

Because Microsofts compiler injects telemetry and spyware even into smallest hello world programs.

Shut up tripfag

ah... that is why the intel compilers are building faster binaries than gcc and other compilers.. I see..

Because my text editor doesn't use 60% CPU for just animating the text cursor.

>Make a debug build
>Surprised when the binary includes debug information
huuurrrrr

Because I know how to use emacs.

I prefer geany

Because JetBrains IDEs work better.

very E S T H E T I C theme, where can I download it

>he needs a plugin to create a drag and drop file upload system

I am using
I love it, it's the best editor

that's hella ugly af bro

It comes preinstalled. Just press ctrl k and ctrl t and select red

medium.com/@caspervonb/why-i-still-use-vim-67afd76b4db6?21

Wow do people actually use colorschemes like this? Way too many colors man

Electron is fucking horrible, but for some obscure reason vs-code doesn't suffer too much from it, compared to shit like Atom or [insert other Electron app here]

Some themes theme all components, older ones do not support this.

Most likely ported themes will not work

because brackets is so comfy

>but for some obscure reason vs-code doesn't suffer too much from it, compared to shit like Atom or [insert other Electron app here]
It's because its custom text buffer and other parts are written in C++, so you only get slow startup times and possible security flaws due to chromium.

It works now. It was not a bug in the theme:

I had the theme installed only locally in my home folder, but electron is using gtk2 which needs to installed in /usr to work ...

I do, it's probably the best all-purpose text editor around.
It's too bad there will be never be a command-line access version or a remote editor version since its written in JS bullshit

Motherfucker you gon be blind soon

Why not tunnel X or mount remote file system?

no original user, but from my experience:

sometimes you just have to quickly edit a file in a ssh connection running on a server and if you forgot to run it with -X or even worse, that said server has no X programs at all you have to purely rely on console.. vim and emacs are your friend then, since every server on the world has them installed.. and then it is just gusto

cause vim

Well, vin and nano works fine for me in these cases.
I never write code on remote, CI doesn't allow that.

please redpill me on Electron. Why is it bad?

electron is basically chromium, so any fear of chromium would apply here too.. but it is not chrome

>so any fear of chromium
You mean botnet stuff? Or are there more practical concerns like performance?

I've been thinking about writing a desktop application and Electron looks promising because I'm a professional web dev and I don't know C or anything about writing desktop apps. But if performance is absolute shit-tier, I'll have to just dive in I guess.

performance is only a concern with electron if you do the heavy lifting (like parsing in a text editor) in JavaScript and not externalize these routines..

this is why a prior user pointed out that atom is kinda nasty, but vscode is okay, since vscode does the heavy lifting in c++

Interesting. If it's based on Chromium, does it not use VP9? Javascript is pretty damn fast in Chromium, even for logic-heavy enterprise applications written in things like React.

How would you externalize business logic to another language in Electron?

Idk, it is build on libchromium .. if that has VP9 in it, then electron has it too, but..

"pretty fast" in JavaScript is nothing to optimized C++ code made by some knowledgeable MS engies (yes you got to praise them sometimes, MS even makes commits to the linux kernel these days)

are you german or asian
decide for fucks sake

Well, I don't have underpowered hardware, but I still feel bad about letting M*cros*ft poorly utilize my hardware.

visual studio is definately not good

I am pure German but learn moon runes for fun, profit and mental activity.

>one or the other
is it seriously so hard to believe people can know more than a single language

chink runes aren't moon runes by any standard. Learn the elder futhark like I did, next thing you know you get hit up by anthropology students across all of Europe and the US.

どきどきだねわくわくだね
.. my mother told me futhark as child. So many variants, no one is sure which one is the oldest one.. also no grammar is available for reading it. All we have remaining of it is fractured inscriptions in different styles, tragedy.. but true. Unless they find a rosetta stone of runes we will be forever clueless.

bash >> Temple.c

>Why is it bad?
Electron apps are basically webapps written in javascript or derivative. So:
>performance is shit
>RAM usage is ridiculously huge
>chromium is botnet
>javascript is shit language to maintan

If your target is Windows get Visual Studio and try WindowsForms. It's simply drag&drop desing and C# is really easy and comfy.