/retro/ tech thread

>ctrl+F
>no retro tech thread

Sad!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AiiuboFNTA4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 12 y/o posts mac from 2005

>guys if I stack a bunch of pointless hardware around my setup it means I'm retro right? one of the cool kids!

what the fuck is this

that's how PC internals looked before everything was on the mainboard, underagefag

I had that exact same mouse. It was shit.

i had a computer in this case.
pentium 120mhz
16mb ram
1gb hard drive

Is it possible to be into retro hardware and not an autist?

No

a4, such a comfy aspect ratio

i'm aware, this is a retro pc thread not a guts thread

Keyboard? I though Cherry, IBM and Microsoft were the only ones that made a split keyboard at the time.

Seattle? I feel like I've actually used that exact model at the museum there

Hi guys

this fucking calculator

I bought this Radio Shack EC-375 calculator at a thrift shop for $1. It turned on fine, but some keys like 0 . and + weren't working. I popped it open and it's full of dumb design decisions. Mainly that the battery compartment is connected to the circuit board via contacts. There's no wires, just contacts. Also, they're using a copper plate or something for grounding, but it wasn't made right so it's oxidizing like crazy and ruining part of the board.

Straight in the trash

Anybody wish 3dfx would have been more responsible with their finances? Imagine 3dfx still producing cards today. There was little more satisfying than playing Q3A with a Voodoo 5. Great times great memories.

playing quake 2 with voodoo2 was pretty l33t

That is a beautiful 7 segment tube, at least save that part.

»You can't show the internals of a retro pc in a retro pc thread.

Wew lad

lmao 100MHz. it's easy to forget how slow computers were growing up.

At some point during the process it cracked at the ends.

heh

Gonna fire up some CS 1.6 on my 5500 AGP tonight

Rate my Athlon XP build.

Coolers are Zalman CNPS7000Cu, VF-700-Cu on the ATi 9800 Pro

Board has been cap modified for clearance on the big Zalman cooler, two caps were relocated with some short wire.

RAM is Corsair XMS LED, supposed to be 400mhz I'll sort that out soon enough.

Well guess who got a proper camera for Christmas

>NF-7S
GOAT Socket A board

Is Hi-Fi gear welcome?

Yessir, I had a DFI LanParty NFII Ultra Rev. B back in the day and smoked it trying to hit 2.5 on air, but this NF7-S is a super nice board. Looking forward to capping some bitches in UT2004 on maxed out settings.

Shit yeah, it is.

hinv?

Damn I remember how much 3dfx shat on ATI and Nvidia back then. SLI with 2 Voodoo 2 was pure overkill. Quake 2 and the first Half Life was running great with those cards.

Can we have a guts photo? Looks really neat.

The NeXTcube, my dream machine. Probably the rarest machine on my wantlist that I could actually get someday. Most of the rest are unobtainable.

This design is just super appealing.

>Sony ES gombonend sysdem :DDDDD

So this was for warching vhs only? I don't see controls for a reciever.

what turntable is that?

It's a Grundig PS4000, basically a rebranded Philips 877 with the manual speed adjustment removed. Not like there's any need for it; it has three hall-effect sensors that measure the speed of the platter and feed it into a PLL feedback loop. Best part is it is a belt drive, so you get the fine speed control of a direct drive and the absolute lack of rumble of a belt drive. It also has touch sensitive controls instead of buttons, pretty nifty for 1978. I love this thing to pieces.

My IBM PC/XT. Doesn't do much, but it does have networking support with mTCP (Telnet, IRC, FTP, Text Browser, etc.) which was interesting for a while. Mostly runs software for playing Yamaha OPL2 (Ad Lib / Sound Blaster) style music now.

Dell Dimension L800CXE (2001) (17 yrs old)
Had her from 2001. Sat in a closet for long time, finally dug it out to take these pics and to see if she still worked. Lasted a week before the PSU died. (go figure). Unfortunately to replace it isn't a cakewalk;back then Dell fucked with the ATX wiring. It's non spec. so if you get a new aftermarket psu you'll fry the psu or components.
Intel Celeron 800/256mb ram/40GB hdd
CD-RW/Iomega zip 100/Floppy
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000/SB Live Value
56K Modem/10-100 Nic

>HI
hi !

is that a microwave?

>complains about design like he has any fucking clue(leaf contacts are a very viable design, it cuts manufacturing costs and gives you a far more reliable connection than wires)
>proceeds to destroy display, either out of pure incompetence or autistic rage attack
>all he had to do was clean/repair two buttons

you're the reason nothing is user serviceable these days, i'm surprised absolutely everything isn't encased in epoxy to keep you from filling it with dorito dust and chicken tendies.

question, how do you load and unload these without fucking up the record?

it was never mass produced i think it was either super expensive or only a design exercise or both

I don't think 2004 is /retro/ but i got this thing half off at my local Goodwill store the other day and its awesome. 400 disc Sony changer. Sony E.S. stuff goes for insane prices and I took this for $7.99. It's a behemoth too, twice the size of my regular receiver. Says it was refurbished a few yrs ago. Beastly.

another pic

Model number? The first image is blurry in the bottom right corner.

It needs a Model M.

what camera?

fucking nice score dude

>proper camera
>still take a blurry picture
lmaoing @ ur life

youtube.com/watch?v=AiiuboFNTA4

Just stick the record in and pressa a button.

I have a Unisys CWD 4002-ZE that i put an old Trinity PowerStacker Am5x86 upgrade kit, 1GB CF drive, and 32MB RAM into. Motherboard seemed happy to overclock it to 150Mhz

Features of the workstation include:
>onboard 10mb ethernet and vga
>1 isa slot (put a soundblaster in there)
>2 serial
>1 parallel
>small as shit!

now the question is, what can i put on it that might be more interesting than DOS? Assuming it can find the ethernet hardware (NE2000 chipset), could I use NetBSD and get encrypted connections out of this thing? Would be cool to use it as an SSH terminal

Yeah, specifically the 1390131 1986 Silver Label model. I haven't found one yet, but I'm looking out for one. Probably easier to import one from the US, but it does turn out a lot more expensive going that route.

what country are you in?

Australia.

doesnt have to be practical if you enjoy it

I WANT THAT MONITOR RIGHT FUCKING NOW

this is what just the mouse goes for...

you can fit ~400 CD's worth of FLACs on a single 256GB microsd card
isn't technology amazing?

Ever heard of using CDs as backup in case of a storage drive failure?

sure have

ouch

>Doom
>Nine Inch Nails
Comfy level maximum

not at home right now but it's an O2 with the video capture card and 2x9GB drives
I also have the camera that was sold with the machine, surprisingly good image quality and the irix homepage web server has a nice live view

I know this isn't really retro, but here's an old gaymen laptop from 2007. This one was ahead of its time because it has RGB LEDs.

Poor production quality is one of the reasons we watch that nutjob.
Gtfo newfag.

yea but a flash drive doesnt have buttons and a neat door and magic wheel that makes cool sounds and lights up.

DVP CX777ES

>2007
>retro

My condolences.

> Straight in the trash
Don't you fucking dare

that's not as bad as Casio's desk calcs right now where to even get the fucking things to turn on out of the package you have to disassemble the whole calculator to get to the battery and remove the shipping tab.

go away boy

THE ONLY LAPTOP DESIGN NOTABLE FROM THAT ERA WAS THIS 20" HINGED BEAST

INVENTEC MADE IT FOR HP, THEY DO THEIR ELITEBOOKS

> be kid me
> go to garage sale on some farm
> walking around, find complete NeXT pizza box
> $40
> no money to buy it

Medieval phallus grinder?

Dell was such fucking trash.

Stop being such assholes. Retro containment threads used to be for everything that didn't fit anymore in other places in Sup Forums.
You're worse than /vr/ that will spam "" a thousand times if you talk about a game from January 2000, knowing very well that nobody on Sup Forums would notice care.

> i'm surprised absolutely everything isn't encased in epoxy