/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of Whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/O9nm1HfU2Y8

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bhRqIhHZkmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HOW'D YOU LIEK MY NEW WOLEX GUISE?

Is my watch band too tight?

What is a more autistic combo, Watches & Knives or Watches & Pens?

I'd say depends on the watch, but usually knives win the autistic competitions

Nah looks good
>I'm into all of these
wh-what are you saying?

Watches and knives, because there is a lot more room for autism in knives and knife sharpening than in pen collecting.

t. watch, knife and fountain pen autist

that is a pretty spicy ps right thar user

>64166666
>66666
OOOOO

i was going to say pens are more autistic because you can actually use knives but your quints shut down my argument

FUCK DRUMPF!!!

God I love patek

youtu.be/bhRqIhHZkmk

>you actually can't use a pen

I should have said more often. I type everything and use the pen i carry only to sign things and only when another pen is not available. I use my knife all the time to open watches mail cut things etc. It seems sort of funny but the pen is almost totally outdated in the modern world whereas the knife is just as useful as its always been.

Lange shits all over PP in terms of finishing.

Your argument is dumb because the average person uses a pen way more than a folding pocket knife. The people who claim to use their knives on a daily basis usually claim to use them for stuff like unboxing where you don't need a tool over a few dollars, but these spergs are using really expensive knives to cut paper.

Casio shits all over them (and pretty much every other brand) in terms of bang for the buck.

Well I imagine people who buy expensive/quality pens have more use for them and they don't even touch other pens if they're available for use
I just bought two packs of 3xBIC pens and still going strong in my third year of uni

Not a knife fag, but seriously a good knife is the best tool you ever need.
I use a forest knife for all the obvious things + heavy duty cooking where i have to cut some frozen shit.
Then you must have a piece of shit more for electrical works etc and you can even strip wires with it (I use a cardsharp though).
The days when I don't use a knife, and im talking about other knives besidess kitchen knives, are rare.

I use pens and pencils every day, I use a knife about once a week.

No, I am too user. It's ok. When you combine all of them the autism cancels itself out.

Learning to tell time by the sun and stars shits all over any watch in terms of bang for the buck.

Post your favorite watch /wt/

That we own or that we want to own? I think my Dolce is tied for my favorite. If we're talking grails that is a different story.

I carry a sextant for when i need to know the time quickly at meetings

how much is your grail?

Realistic grail is in the 3-5k range, I actually havn't checked. Realistic grail is somewhat of any oxymoron though. My true grail would probably be something from VC or Dufour since I am autistic about finishing.

> not barebacking your watch
> not even a faggot

My favorite watch that I own is probably my Omega Speedmaster Mark 4.5 with the Lemania 5100 movement, but it's a really close race with my King Seiko 5256-8010.

My favorite watch I don't already own (and isn't so outrageously expensive that I'd never buy it) is a tie between the 36mm Rolex Datejust 16200 with a blue dial, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet and the Grand Seiko SBGW253.

Well if you keep saving up you might be able to have one of those watches one day, is your job alright?

should i just buy a sarb035 already?

What other watches do you own user? I bought a SARB035 a while ago. I sold it within two weeks of ownership since it was so boring. What killed it for me was the beat rate and the non-instant date change. If you own nicer watches, I almost guarantee the honeymoon period will be short. It was for me.

I have an orient ray and an snk809, and some cheap soviet shitter. It would be my nicest watch so far.
I would be ready to spend up to $1k on a nicer watch, but I didn't find much that seemed worth it.

Actually I plan to ultimately buy both those I mentioned, I was just trying to exclude grail type watches with extremely high prices.

>Not carrying a wrist compass and a sundial to quickly glance the time at any moment during the day.

how do you like the 556?

It's pretty nice. What are you looking for in a watch? The majority of the price is due to the fantastic case and bracelet quality. Also the accuracy is phenomenal. The one thing I really dislike about it is the AR coating on the outside of the crystal. Can any other 556 owners confirm they have the same issue?

Can i shower with my 5atm rated watch and not have problems? It's a hassle to take it off and put it back on.

never shower with a watch on desu

But ia it safe at all?

>It's a hassle to take it off and put it back on
Do you shower with your clothes on?

Just got this watch from my father, it is very old not sure how old. Anyone know which year it is or if it is worth anything? Thanks

Looking to get my first mechanical watch.

Should I get an SNK809 or a Vostok Amphibian?

5atm is fine for showering yes

Very nice user! A GP!

What are you wearing today /wt/?

Oh god those endlinks

Amphibia.

The al qaeda special, what else?

It upset my autism at first too, don't even trip user. They've oddly grown on me though.
Allhu ackbar brother :^)

How do you pull this watch off?

It looks like one of those watches that look great in a display case or a stand, but no one could actually wear it.

ME WANT
That is fucking sweet bro, how much do these go for?

Wearing this again today. I've been wearing it a lot lately.

A lot more than they really should, I lucked out and got mine for 150.

Very nice. I would guess it's a later-series 70s gyromatic. Does it hack (does the second hand stop when you pull the crown)? Any markings on the caseback (unlikely) or between the lugs under the strap (more likely)?

no because soap will erode any sealing it might have
byebye watch

Too nasty out for a vintage piece

how much does one of those go for?

It would look like shit on display too

Thing is, this is about what I'd expect from omega these days design and finishing wise anyway.

WTF is this abortion?

You can't. Nobody can. Really really cool idea, really really badly executed. Shame.
This makes my penis feel strange. I know I shouldn't like it, but I really do.
I've been after a world-time watch for ages, would you recommend this? I'm not usually a digital kinda' guy though. Finding good mechanical world timers within a sensible pricerange is fucking killing me, user. Pls help. I need one. My friends all live abroad.

The colours on that bezel are so nice.

aluminum > cerachrom imo

If you are patient and wait for a decent deal off Yahoo! Japan Auctions using a proxy bidding service like ZenMarket or Buyee you can probably find one for under $300. Another user here paid a fair bit more for one off eBay and he's been thrilled with it.

As far as LCD quartz watches go, it's the best one ever made. It's the only one to ever have solar charging, radio atomic sync and electroluminescent backlight while also having a stainless steel case and solid link, solid end link stainless steel bracelet.

God I love pre-maxicase GMTs.

Man they really need to fit their bracelets better.

This watch seems a bit on the large side, does it overhang?

Is 1500€ for a Breitling Top Time a good deal?

Just saw this exact watch on Aliexpress, had another brand name though.

Cant find anything on the back of it and it doesn't tick at all, do you know how to make it tick? Im really new to watches just got this and it sparked my interest

Send it to me user i'll fix it for you

It's about the largest watch I own. In its most comfortable position the top lug overhangs the top of my wrist a bit.

With the crown pushed in, turn the crown clockwise unless and until you feel some resistance. Then give the watch a gentle shake. If it didn't start running out needs a service.

Is love to see pictures of the movement if you are comfortable opening the case. You can use needle nose pliers as an improvised case wrench.

I could feel resistace shaked it but nothing happened, watch havent been used in like 30 years so it might need service i guess?

Sounds likely

If i open it could you see how much its worth?

I don't expect it to have much bearing on the value. A standard gyromatic would probably be worth maybe 200-400 on eBay (assuming it's working, obviously). The gyromatics were nice watches, but not particularly exceptional in any way that affects their value.

If by some really weird circumstance it's a mislabeled cal 42.1, that probably multiplies the value 2x, but that's really very unlikely. It's a nice watch and as a family piece, I would suggest trying to get it serviced and wearing it; if you're not interested in wearing it sell it for parts for

More like everyone in the watchmaking industry besides Rolex/Tudor needs to fit their bracelets better.

The dial texture on that penisquartz is great.

What are some good brands for watches ranging from 100-200€? I only know that Seiko and Citizen are solid brands but what about others?

Whats the maximum price for Omegas like this? Its going for 400-800 USD.

From your post I'm guessing 800? What are you asking?

If you are unwilling to do the research to learn what differentiates vintage Omega models from one another and how to judge their condition, originality and price for yourself you have a 100% chance of getting ripped off.

Rate my newest watch.

>100-200€?
>good

Sorry but no.

Even the SKX costs around 200 Euros. Not saying Seiko is bad - I own one myself. It's a nice sports watch with the right strap. But the made in Malaysia/China crap you get around that price point really is just that and no more.

If you want a real watch your only option is to spend more (500 at least).

Otherwise you're throwing money out unless you're building a collection and already own some good stuff. Save up more and buy something proper.

>they literally refurbish 100 year old watches by recreating the pieces one by one

No wonder their shit is so overpriced, this is crazy waste.

Fucking trash that old shit, god damn. I swear every cocksucker thinks his shitty old Patek is worth millions cause some actually got sold for that amount.

Sorry about your broken wrist.

TUDOR, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is this proof Tudor cases and bracelets are made in China?

Tudor is just a poor mans Rolex anyway, who cares

They are way cooler than Lolex though.

The seiko one is worse and just because other watches have gaps doesn't make it ok. What are you even trying to say? Rolex is objectively the best?

What Seiko one?

I'm innawoods fairly often and I'm looking for a field watch in the ~$350 range. Any recs?