Which Linux desktop environment do you use and why it's best?

Which Linux desktop environment do you use and why it's best?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gnome-shell/ bug/1672297
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

aero

ubuntu mate

Fedora + Budgie DE.

Reason: It's GNOME but nowhere near as slow.

i3
it's just better

Linux is a kernel. It doesn't have desktop environments.

KDE Plasma. It's not gnome and it just werks

>mate on desktop, defaults were nice enough so i didnt want to bother more. Would like to switch to some tiling window manager with good support of multiple screens
>lxde on small laptop - cause it is lightweight

KDE Plasma
1. It's based on Qt (fuck GTK+).
2. Good apps
3. Feels both comfy and professional.
4. It just werks!

tiling: ratpoison
desktop: openbox/cinnamon

LXDE. For me, it's the perfect balance between lightweight and functional, and you can configure it to basically look however you want.

>configure it to basically look however you want.
Without editing config files, I might add. Very simple to set up.

Upvoted

GNU/Linux*

Is the fedora kde spin any good?
I've been with opensuse for quite a while but the recent issues with some systemd related shit have been bothering me.

openbox + a folder of custom scripts written over the years

awesome-wm with gnome

Still deciding on what to use on my Razer blade stealth, was suggested Windows ltsb but I kinda want a Linux flavour to play with, but part of me thinks i3 Windows manager on arch or something would be hard to use as it's not exactly a huge monitor. What do people think?

XFCE
works for me

holy shit you're still here? If you're the tripper I think I'm remembering..jesus time flies
personally if the screen isn't that big, just cut out the tiling middle man shenanigans and run all programs maximized

If you intend on mostly using apps and want to quickly switch between them (especially with 2+ monitors) use i3wm instead of a DE.

If you intend on mostly cycling through running apps with alt-tab, setting up panels or staring at your desktop/window animations, use literally any DE.

he's the tripper that got perma btfo
shilled for intel and now with the current situation he still has no place here

>tfw too retarded and lazy to learn and use i3 or something like that
i dont understand tiling window managers and cant understand all possible shortcuts and shit on it and how to configure it to my liking and make it look good and i dont even know how to get volume applet, network manager and other shit like that for it and just get frustrated everytime and return to xfce or similar

KDE. Considering switching back to GNOME because it actually can add new virtual desktops on the fly without breaking. And I'm wondering if that activities-overview-search thing wouldn't fit my workflow better. I'm scared of js scripting in the shell though. Also, Chrome/Opera and Emacs are becoming my second and third window manager, pic related (although I'm on windows now).

Maybe I'll just go with antergos, get that arch feel without having to go ham

Ubuntu + Gnome, because its stable and not ugly + just werks lel

oh. I just returned to Sup Forums after what I think is a few years and recognized the handle.
tiling is something I can never turn my back on now but in retrospect, the learning curve must have been very steep, yes. I would suggest giving it another go if you're truly interested, but always maintain that it takes a certain kind of person to be into it.
I used to be a huge arch fanboy. Still use it as my main, but do your research and it's hard to go wrong with other flavors. Last I gave antergos a spin, solid.

xfce + i3, very comfy

tiling in theory sounds a good idea for a retard like me, specifically on my desktop machine with 2 monitors, i many times have windows which are small and they get cluttered across my monitors, with a tiling wm they would get "tiled" and not all over the place over each other, but i really just never understood how to use tiling window managers, i probably should try again
if i want volume applets and network manager applet or something like that should i combine a DE + i3 like i have seen some to do that or what should be used for those?

Yeah I've used arch once before and enjoyed it but am really undecided on what OS to use on the laptop that isn't Windows, there's a few in mind like antergos, arch, elementary os, Solus and even good old ubuntu which I've used on laptops plenty of times but I've done all my research and can't figure out which one to try first. Maybe antergos and if I don't like I'll install one of the others

it's complicated until you realise that you use the mod key + arrows to switch windows (with shift to move windows) or numbers for desktop switching (again shift for moving).

Mod+shift+Q is to close a window.
Mod+D to open dmenu.
Mod+E,W,S is for tiled, tabbed and stacked respectively.

Once you are a pro, you can take a look at:
Mod+H,V for horizontal, vertical nested container and
Mod+A is select parent container.

TL;DR
Your i3 config file is basically an enumeration of all these default shortcuts and more. Edit at your leisure.

fedora

Gnome Debian

Gnome on vm? It must be slow as hell

it's just for tests

Lumina. Because it's faster, easier to use and lighter.

Sure, but we're referring to Linux as the operating system ITT. Words can have two meanings, you know.

budgie

XFCE, because it doesn't have bells and whistles and just works. And looks OK.

pls respond

I used to use an old laptop as my main computer, with secondary monitor when I was at home. I learned to use i3 because I wanted a shortcut that I could use to switch between single and dual monitors without having any windows placing themselves in whereverthefuck. Also, another nice shortcut for shoving exactly what was on one monitor to the other one while retaining window and panel placements.

XFCE
cause it is simple and werks
KDE was a bad experience I am not going to try again
i3 is nice for laptops but I have enough screenspace to not bother on my desktop

Openbox with tint2, does everything I need without tiling autism.

I personally made very simple, rudimentary scripts to manage things like network, volume, etc with my very limited knowledge but there are loads of content out there that offer far more feature-rich functionality (dvol for volume management comes to mind) as well as applets to make it behave more like a straight-forward DE. But mainly in which you start small and you tailor your needs in the config. You can also peruse online to see what other people have done in their config files to get a better grasp
if you're just looking for a light windows alternative, I would suggest mint. Not sure what the census on it here is, but my experience with it has been nothing but positive. One word descriptor would probably be "honest".

>GNOME
Too many dumb ideas
>KDE
Buggy, cluttered, bloated
>LXDE
Too spartan for everyday use
>XFCE
Perfect all around desktop

XFCE>LXDE>Gnome>KDE

I wanted to like openbox but I guess it was just bad timing that I got obscenely tired of using my mouse to move shit around. Now I just use my tilingwm as a keyboard-centric floating, able to resize and move in increments

youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y

openbox + tint2

Is there a way to switch between different DEs without closing open windows? I want to try out some DEs but I rarely reboot my machine and I don't want to reopen everything. Would it be possible make a second session that's active in parallel to the first (just like you have multiple terminals)?

Yes.
The Window manager has to support reparenting.

Cinnamon, and I'm suprised no one here ever mentions it, it literally just works

it's a humble DE and I wouldn't have it any other way. It had an objective and it did it, not much to discuss about it in that sense, for better or worse.

i am currently trying out i3 and setting it up on my another machine and looking at guides for dummies, the more i understand how to use it the more neat it sounds, seems pretty cool so far
i really like the idea of not wasting of screen space due to tiling because specifially on my desktop machine with multiple monitors i am wasting screen space by not having windows organized and using all space, they are just literally usually scattered around and weird , that is where tiling sounds like it could shine for me

KDE > Cinnamon > Xfce > MATE > Gnome

Once you familiarize yourself with the dot files I cannot emphasize enough what you can do. The macro, automation, and shortcut possibilities are endless. If you stick it out and integrate it into your workflow/personal use, it is mindblowingly eye-opening, regardless if you continue to use it in the future or not.
My only word of advice from my personal experience is don't obsess over or try too hard to keep the tiling motif up and running; the multitasking is streamlined and effective in i3 and its like but don't railroad yourself in _having_ to tile, you dig? I was caught up in the novelty early on but nowadays I cap out at three concurrent windows if I'm not using a single maxed program, any more and the views get small enough that efficiency is actually impeded somewhat.

KDE, good amount of features and a proper filepicker
There is nothing that can compete with Kwin in terms of features.

Fedora

I dont think its best, I dont really care what other people use desu. Whatever you like best and makes you most comfortable is best

There is nothing that can compete with Kwin in terms of bloatedness.

Budgie. Smooth as fuck and looks pretty while not being a resource hog.

every opinion in this thread is wrong if it's not dwm, 2bwm, or openbox, or maybe hlwm if you really like binary tree.
openbox still blows but nothing has good titlebar functionality to compete with it.

runs on my my Pentium II machine :)

do you use arch?

no, I don't really need the AUR even though it's nice, and I dislike systemd

Are you me? I've been trying to navigate Arch using only i3 and it has been hard to set up some of the stuff that a DE could easily take care of.

Currently waiting for my memepad to die and see if it properly suspends to disk because this article was a lot to get through wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate

uninitiated here, is systemd that terrible?
not to be condescending, but thinking of it more as a learning experience than oh-jeez-gotta-set-this-up makes it easier.
havent gotten around to it yet, but arch suspenfing and hibernating has been completely borked (at least for me) for the longest time. Suddenly stopped working after an update one day.

There is no better desktop environment. You have to test everything and stick with the one that suits you better. Same thing with distros.

It packs tons of features yet it's memory and cpu footprint is minimal.
Stop lying footfag, you've been found out.

I mean, it functions. Systemd is slower than a few of the other options, and generally clashes with the modular focus of the linux environment.
Personally I find it very frustrating how systemd deals with services that aren't responding; you're forced to wait 2-5 minutes on startup if systemd isn't able to start something or something is broken.
The other options in use basically come down to openrc, runit, and sysvinit. Openrc is fast and somewhat simple, runit is super fast and simple, and sysvinit is quite slow and very large.
As some questions if you're uninitiated, good opportunity to learn here on 4chad

>minimal

Yeah, it definitely started that way for me, but then I started to tackle little things like encryption (which I couldn't do in place like I was hoping to be able to) and this suspend-to-both stuff. Ubuntu was clunky to me, but it had a lot of convenience for this stuff.

Xfce + i3

Best of both worlds

ah, makes sense.
I'm at that awkward level of knowledge where I get what you're saying, but my understanding isn't deep enough to muster comprehensive or significant questions. Just gotta read up more I guess.

KDE Neon uses 400MiB at login, I think that's minimal for a full fledged DE, considering Gnome that uses 1.2GiB but doesn't pack any features and instead actively removes them.
So quit the meme arrows and provide some arguments, boy.

what does simplicity imply and how is it relevant to systemd and its alternatives, different user here

i was just looking for the qualification of "for a full fledged de"
2bwm takes 300-400kb

why not use openbox+tint2+conkey(4rice) and cut that to ~200mb? what do you even need a window manager to do anyways?

Same, but on Ubuntu. Gnome has a nasty memory leak that they still haven't fixed and I only have 4 gigs of RAM

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gnome-shell/ bug/1672297

simplicity of use is what I was talking about. Interacting with systemd is more difficult than runit, for example. I don't know if it's super complicated since I didn't learn how to use it after I saw how many arguments systemctl could take, I just know that there are simpler alternatives.
With runit, it's as simple as having a running services directory and an installed services directory. If you want to start a service you just link the folder to the running services directory.

lemonbar is a better alternative to tint2/conky

nice

>not switching to Sway
i3 but on Wayland.

Unity with the annoying left bar removed

SO MUCH THIS

First of all I prefer WMs because moving the hand from the keyboard to the mouse everytime I do something takes too much time. That being said I use I3 because I like better their hotkey settings than bspwm.

>bspwm is way better than I3!!! Also you can change the hotkeys just like in I3!!!
I really like bspwm but I don't wanna waste my time with this. Furthermore I have two monitors and I feel like I3 has a better support.

>There are other WMs!!!
I respect your opinion but since they all work pretty much in the same way I don't feel like testing another one.

People say that openbox works pretty well but I've never tried it.

openbox works because it's the most customizeable titlebar capable wm. I think it sorta blows because it's ridiculously resource intensive for what it does. Other stacking window managers use ~300kb while ob uses ~8.5mb. Openbox is also a huge pain because in total there are 5 or 6 configuration files that are all in xml for some reason.
i3 is really similar in that it is way too resource intensive for what it does. Herbstluftwm uses like 1/3 of the ram and is more customizeable. I also used hwlm on multiple monitors just fine for a long time.

KDE is the least cancerous one I could find. Can't stand standalone WMs anymore, there's too many moving parts and I'm old.

that's too real, tone it down.

i3 or dwm, both are amazing. De's are a waste of your time, you'll be switching everything out anyways, so just start from "scratch"

Sure.

>GNOME
>Getting rid of desktop icons
The ABSOLUTE STATE of GNOME in 2017.

yeeeeeeeee

Cinnamon, because looks like Windows but it's free.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

KDE Plasma is the most technically superior one. But it has a few crippling problems for me:
>1. Enormous fatass scrollbars
>2. Lack of themes
>3. Ugly design/layout in some of the programs like Dolphin
If these could be fixed I'd be happy. But they can't. Nothing is good. Everything is shit.

Do you use herbsluftwm? What's more customizable when compared to I3? I've seen a few people using this... Do they have a good doc?

>Which Linux desktop environment do you use
my own
>why it's best?
because it's my own

>my own
stop larping

i3 but if i'm installing a normie machine I will use xfce

i3 is normie though

Not everything is normie