Are books like this just a meme or do you think I could actually learn something from it...

Are books like this just a meme or do you think I could actually learn something from it? I'm also looking at the android app development book

Check out Udacity, google courses with a "certificate" and they help you get a job afterwards.

bump

You better check Small Basic. Simple yet reasonably capable language, friendly built-in help, ideal for learning basics.

I started with C++ and survived. This is waste of time and probably gives you bad habits like every toy languages.

pussy. i started with assembly

Its a starting point and nothing more.

>java

Just get an actual intro textbook, preferably published within the last 4-5 years

>Assembly
I started with machine code

Yeah well I started with smacking the side of the pc case until it submitted to my will

java pays the most.

Do you have any idea how many pipes I had to swap out to write this

In India, maybe

Fuck you, John Whiteman, India is on the fast track to becoming the greatest super power known to man.

Did you really bump this thread just to say this gay shit?

When I was around 13/14 years old I picked up a C++ for dummies book for my first real foray into programming. It got me to make some simple command line programs and whatnot which was nice. Wouldn't go out of my way to get a 'for dummies' book though unless I was brand new to programming and anything is better than nothing.

To be honest though, getting started I'd stick to some online guides for java. Once you learn to program, assuming you don't already know all the basics, there should be some guides online for making some simple apps with android studio or whatever it was called. I spent a little bit of time doing that riding off of my knowledge of various programming languages and very limited java experience to make some crude things for fun.

An actual book would probably be a good investment but I have no idea what I'd recommend. I finally had my first intro to java course at my college and really any combination of books is good. They all go over roughly the same content. Check out your local library too I know mine has a bunch of intro books some not even all that old.

There is exactly one (1), proper way of learming programming. K&R. Read it.
Also steer clear of python.

xD

>machine code
made my own computer

>and they help you get a job afterwards

I have this exact book. Don't bother. Get a different book.

magnetized needle and a steady hand.jpg

Toy languages like Basic, Pascal, Java, PHP and other crap like that are just for educational purposes only.
If the idea is to actually learn programming, I'd suggest Lisp, C/C++, ASM.
ASM for learning how programs are executed, how computers work, processors, registers, memories etc.
C/C++ for general purpose applications, business, commercial and such.
LISP for thinking and brainstorming, developing concepts, tackling high level abstractions...

I'd say they're memes if you want to learn something in depth/detail: I read these sorts of books for Java and C++; it's only after reading K&R, as well as looking at real-life C++, that I realised that these books don't even cover the half of it.
If you're starting from the very bottom, they'll get you started; afterwards, you'll need more in-depth books to learn the ins and outs of a language.
And learning from books or courses is much better and more efficient/effective than trial-and-error stab-in-the-dark "self-learning".

>Toy Languages
>educational purposes only

Shut the fuck up, stop talking about shit you dont understand and stop spreading false information.

Does the job involve advertising these courses on Sup Forums?

I code with a needle and a microscope, get on my level.

You joke but in 20 years you'll all be shitting in the streets.

>What about Python?