/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Republic of Gaymers edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>Avoid Intel until security and performance issues are fixed: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous bread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/JYrTvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kftj8K
youtube.com/watch?v=FU55VcRBNOg
youtube.com/watch?v=S9xeg_3eREc
pcpartpicker.com/list/rZN3f8
pcpartpicker.com/list/YjZVtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/tCsqYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/bpjtXH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pcpartpicker.com/list/JYrTvV

Sub $1500 1440p machine

I'll post t again

anybody wanna explain this shit?

probably supply and demand. a lot of people are buying the 1700

>>A8 9600
>with a dedicated graphics card

Hey guys, I have 460$ is it possible to make a build to run pubg?

Yes, it is indeed possible.
What resolution and fps are you looking for?
Do you want to buy all new components?
Do you maybe own some old components?

Building a threadripper system.

Need the best motherboard for a 1950 along with best ram.

2.5k budget.

I'm looking for a quality desktop mic
200 euro budget

ASUS Zenith Extreme, been happy with mine. Find the beta 0801 BIOS and you can do bootable NVMe RAID although I think the new one supports it too. It has been stable and even has a built-in 4ghz OC profile.

It's an expensive board but you're definitely getting your 500 dollars worth. Should have bought on Black Friday I grabbed my 1950x combo for 1200 dollars

Does AMD or Nvidia for that matter care that cryptominers are buying all of the GPUs?

I mean i guess they wouldn't right cause its just more profit for them but they do pay people to engineer the cards for gaming especially so thats gotta be somewhat wasted money on their end right?

Ok so after a bit of after Christmas selling, I came into a few extra hundred bucks and have been wanting to upgrade my fx8350, mostly because a ram slot and a pci slot kicked the bucket. So should I go with a 1900x or an 1800x? I’m going to be gaming and streaming on it. I have a 1080ti as my vc.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Kftj8K

Should I buy a 650w PSU if I plan to upgrade to an 8700k/GTX1080 in the future?

daily reminder that ASUS is the shittest manufacturer

It's all about the $$$, why do you think Radeon Vega costs so much despite being BTFO by Nvidia in games.

That's debateable, I've dealt with their tech support and they aren't horrible. Major fuck up releasing the Zenith Extreme with no bootable NVMe BIOS but that's fine they added it afterward.

When will the government step in on this ram monopoly?

prices are insane

I've never built a computer before. Should I try to put together a $400 machine or should I just save up for my ideal $1500 build? If I do the cheap one I could still use it to replace my garbage Acer laptop but if I keep saving for the latter I could actually do video editing like I want. Wat do?

waste of money on the cheaper stuff as most will just get replaced

>avoid intel
Nah go fuck yourself shill.

I tried this, ended up going 1000+ on my build, totally worth it

thx dogg

Looking for cheap PC option. Ive been reading that you can buy a optiplex and upgrade the gpu to 1050ti. Any other options with business computers.

Get a minitower (MT) so you can upgrade the PSU and use full size GPUs, avoid small form factor (SFF) like the plague. If you can afford an i7 model just go for that as opposed to getting an i5 and upgrading later.

what's the difference between x370 and AB350 mobos?

I need to confirm something. So, I have a mobo which only accepts 2-pin as a connector for a fan.

Unforunately, it's near impossible to find a 2pin connector fan that is 80mm.

So I was thinking of buying a 3 to 2 Pin Adapter, then buying an 80m 3pin fan. Would that work?

yes, 3rd pin is for tacho readout to the motherboard, if there is a 4th pin its so the motherboard can control the fan speed

2 pin would work just goes 100% the whole time

enjoy your flawed product sold to you by a jew whose about to go to jail.

you know hes sucks at jewing when he gets caught and goes to jail. the good ones don't go to jail.

1700x got no box cooler. And it works well up to 1.3V, which surpasses most of the people's needs.

Enjoy our 4GHz housefire with Sandy Bridge IPC.

alright, thanks.
I should also note this isn't for a PC, but my media probox 8-bay.

just so you know almost no fan will come with that connector, but you can use any pc fan but you would have to join the wires to a bit of the old fan cable with that plug

or find the fan with that connector which prob be a pain

Will ram and gpu prices ever fall?

No.

It's cool and got haswell-level single core performance. Retarded intel shill.
t. other user

ram won't probably because just cus

it will be like hdd prices after that last flood, just keep them high for years, why not

gpu's will drop when new models come out but the price of newer ones might be higher

>but you would have to join the wires to a bit of the old fan cable with that plug
wait what, I thought you said a 3 to 2 Pin Adapter would work? Wouldn't I be able to just plug that adapter in? I really dont want to be cutting or combining any wires

it would but does it go to that white plug?

pc fan plugs are different, i was under the impression the adpator was for that, and they exist

basically that white plug is different to standard pc fan plugs so unless you find a fan with that plug on it you would have to join the wires to keep that plug but you can buy any fan you want then

No it doesn't, only literal shills call others shills. youtube.com/watch?v=FU55VcRBNOg

If you need more pcie lanes and quad channel memory go 1900x, otherwise get a 1700 and OC it to 3.9ghz.

Anyone?

pic-related is the adapter.

and yeah, the 2-pin adapter plug looks different than what my 2-pin fan plug looks like, so it probably wont work.

I guess I'll just have to try to find the exact model on ebay

it looks kinda close but if it fits that would work but

?

Get a r3 1200 instead

get an r5 1600

get an 8700k

shoo shoo shill

r5 1700 with that cooler

>8600k is hitting 122

>LOOK MOM I POSTED IT AGAIN

Nah, the adapter wont work because the plug on the mobo is designed in a way that only allows a single-notch. pic-related.

The adapter seems to have 2 plastic notches on the top that'll stop it from entering.

So what I'm to do instead is just buy the noctua 80x80x25 3-pin fan,

1.completely remove the plastic connector on the noctua
2. remove the connector on the stock fan
3. plug the noctua's wires(red/black) into the stock 2-pin connector.

i shouldnt have to cut anything to remove the wires from the plastic according to this youtube.com/watch?v=S9xeg_3eREc

Now, the only minor issue left is the noctua's 25mm depth. The stock fan is 20mm depth. I don't know how much of an impact that 5mm difference will have, but if the screw size is the same, then I might get lucky with it only sticking out a tiny bit from the back.

anyway this shit is a pain in the ass

that metal shroud on the back might not fit on because the fan is thicker that's all, or use longer screws and ignore the shitty look

or buy a different fan cover/grill

I built a new PC a few weeks ago, and now I've started having the BSOD pop up randomly if I have too many videos, tabs, or programs open. It's giving me the error of 'memory_management' but I ran a mem test and found no issues. What do?

pcpartpicker.com/list/rZN3f8

Is this overkill for gaming/streaming?

HOLY FUCK ITS WORKING AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH MY FIRST BUILD

congrats bro
welcome to the club

Thoughts on my gaming pc build? 1080p monitor 144hz

pcpartpicker.com/list/YjZVtJ

Yes. Why 1080TI? Do you have a 4k monitor? Unless you plan on doing VR or playing at 4k,then a 1070 or 1060 is fine.

Why a 12 core processor? What other things will you be doing aside from games that will utilize that many cores?

Liquid cooling is overkill if you're not OC'ing your GPU or processor.

Dont need 3200 ram. 3000 is fine.

And streaming really doesn't have much to do with your build, but more your internet speed. Doesn't matter how good your rig is if your up stream is shit.

Lookin' slick my dude.

That's the reason I want to go z370, so I can install one of tbose one day. I would go Ryzen but i already have the RAM and it's not compatible and the 8350k is a solid chip in its own right.

>And streaming really doesn't have much to do with your build

lol you clearly know nothing

You can stream from a shitty phone.
You're retarded.

>Buy shiny new z370 board
>Intel hits the shit bed
>haven't bought cpu yet
Wut do? Go ryzen like that nagging feeling from the very beginning of my build told me to, or roll with Intel and see what happens?

Most streamers have a second pc

you have to encode the video and upload it to twitch, your cpu is encoding video as you play a game

you're a retard, 1/10

Fuck it turned off in the last settings part of windows install. Backplate is hot. I just took the kraken off and the paste is there though so it definitely had contact with the cpu???

switch to ryzen, intel is pulling a "lol we gonna sell all our stocks and run this company into the ground"

No I want 100 frames for 1440 144hz, I didn’t know about the processor I just thought it’d be cool to have unlimited powa. Originally I was gonna go 1800x so I’ll probbaly just do that.

Oh also yes to the vr

This. Buy AMD now sir. AMD has no problems sir.

>Most streamers have a second pc
That doesn't change the fact that you can LIVE.STREAM from a MOBILE-PHONE.

If a crappy phone can do it, then go fucking figure what a desktop can do, even with decade old parts. Hell, I was streaming with my shitty computer back in 2008.

They don't care, otherwise AMD would have figured out how to capture the ~$170 market that they lost with the 570 going insane in prices. The 1050TI jumped in price, causing the 1050 and 560 to jump in price, and now sub ~$230 there's not much choices for budget builders other than the 1050 TI which represents lackluster value even at it's original MRSP.

This might be the worst time ever for budget builders

X370 has SLI and xfire capabilities as well as more robust voltage regulation sections. They also usually have more SATA ports. Allows for overclocking

B350 is the little brother. Decent voltage regulators, but no SLI, and usually less SATA ports. Still allows overclocking, but BIOS will have fewer options to really fine tune an OC compared to X370. Some B350 boards still support xfire though. (AMD version of SLI)

A320 series boards are the bottom tier ultra budget. Minimal SATA ports, minimal voltage regulators. Just enough to keep a Ryzen build running at stock. Doesn't all overclocking. Built specifically for someone who is after no frills, no nonsense performance. I.e. someone who has no intention of overclocking or running multiple video cards and just wants a reliable PC for relatively cheap. Although honestly, the price difference between A320 and B350 series is usually $20 or less.

ive never setup water cooling before but maybe it had something to do with that

can you finish the installation to check the cpu temps?

I'm a casual gamer/student with up to 1,200USD to blow on my first build. So far I'm thinking of
>either micro atx or mini itx motherboard for a more compact tower
>gtx1060 3gb or 6gb
>either ryzen 1600x or i5-8600k (not sure if intel is a safe buy)

I don't plan on overclocking anything, so no need to liquid cool. I'm really just concerned with the processor. I've never given much thought to AMD until the last couple of days, and I have no idea what's good from them.

Also, is it autistic to pull parts from my current laptop? I've got a 1TB HDD and 8gb of shitty ram. Anything fun I can do with the laptop parts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tCsqYr

here's a mock up, but I'd like to trim the cost down a little if possible

Sure don't. Nope

Hey mate good news. i reinstalled the standoffs, put it back on and finished + downloaded ryzen master. I watched it go from 80c to now 37.5 and can hear the water trickling.

>R5-1600X vs i5-8600k
I won't even get into the nonsense going on with Intel currently because that's a horse that's been shipped to death on Sup Forums. I personally say the R5-1600 would be the better (potentially safer) bet. If anything go for the non X version of the 1600 so you get the stock cooler with it.
>8GB ram and 1TB from your laptop
The ram is worthless as desktops and laptops used different types of RAM. That 1TB can be put into your desktop though for storage.

pcpartpicker.com/list/bpjtXH

Looks pretty solid, thanks. What's the main difference between the r5-1600 and the 1500x? I know the one has more cores and the other has a slightly higher base clock. But what kind of difference does it make in practice?

The r5-1500X is like the old Intel i7's. 4 cores, 8 threads. Where as the 1600 is 6 cores, 12 threads.

The 1500X is simply faster out of the box. Where as the 1600 is slower. But all of the Ryzen chips (R3-1200 all the way to R7-1800X) all overclock roughly similar with 4.0ghz being their ceiling. 3.8ghz the average. And any of the X series chips don't come with coolers. Where as the non X variants do. My buddy has his R5-1600 at 3.8ghz ok the stock cooler and it handles it fine. For gaming, more cores is helpful, but is also helpful for general purpose loads.

Can the Ryzen 5 1600 at 4.0GHz with DDR4-3200 get close enough to a stock i7-8700 for Adobe CC? I know the 8700K is way better, but I want to know if the 8700 can at least be matched.

>R5-1600 @ 4.0ghz
>3200 ram

Well assuming you win the silicon lottery and get a 4.0ghz capable 1600 AND a motherboard that fully supports your 3200 memory, then yes. However you're liable to only get one of those 2 requirements. If you're doing serious editing work, consider the R7 series.

you really shouldn't be spending that kind of money and have an i3,1070 deserves at least an i5 8400 or 8600k

I have a 4770k

Even with the memes and patches I feel no difference whatsoever

I'm waiting for Ryzen 2 and Coffee Lake refresh

Will the cheapest Threadripper be faster than the incoming Ryzen 2?

I'm just curious and I have more shekels than sense

>Well assuming you win the silicon lottery and get a 4.0ghz capable 1600 AND a motherboard that fully supports your 3200 memory, then yes
Can a $120+ X370 support both?
>If you're doing serious editing work, consider the R7 series
Nah, I'm waiting for the tail-end of Ryzen+ before I upgrade to the R7

>Even with the memes and patches I feel no difference whatsoever
BIOS update and firmware needs to be applied too. Also, the update is not active unless you edit a registry value to force it to be active. It conflicts with most anti-virus programs, which is why it's off by default.

I'm on Windows 10 with a Z87 mobo, Gaysus won't be throwing BIOS and firmware updates for us Gen4fags

The motherboard doesn't determine whether a CPU can hit a certain speed other than maintaining good voltage delivery. Each CPU is different as to it's attainable clock ceiling. As for the ram running at 3200mhz, you have to check the motherboard's ram compatibility list.

Make sure you're only using 2 sticks though. No motherboard/setups support high frequencies with 4 sticks other than Threadripper and X399. So if you want 32gb, you'll need 2x16gb.

>No motherboard/setups support high frequencies with 4 sticks other than Threadripper and X399
>16GB DIMM prices
Fuck this shit, I'm sticking with Intel

What's a cheap graphics card that can run windows and chrome that I can pair with my Ryzen? I want to sell my laptop to get a nice GPU but without it, I won't have any computer

Which one will deliver this time: Ice Lake or Tiger Lake?

which one has the 8-core, 16-thread one for mainstream?

i keep hearing a coffee lake reboot, a Z470 and a Z390 platform

Intel is the same way lol. Good luck getting anything above 2666mhz across 4 sticks

>1600
>great for gaming

>mfw 600fps in UT99 on TR4 1950x and R9 290x
>mfw spent almost 2500 to play 20 year old games at a million fps

I still play UT4 NuDOOM and other more demanding titles that need something with this much lifting power but it's comical playing the super old stuff too

i want this
should i reconsider
gonna pair it with a 1700(x)

Should I get a video card for my AM1M mobo or should I save the money for something better?

Can you imagine how hot that would be? It would hsve to be clocked at no more than 4.0ghz to not melt

do you really need crossfire support

SLI, actually
and yeah it seems like a waste to leave my second 980ti just sitting