Thoughts on this thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

banter.city
totallysafe.website
sourceforge.net/projects/p2pirc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

laggiest web interface I've seen

>electron

Riot is pretty shit, but Matrix is incredible.

This. I hope people realize that this is just a client for the Matrix protocol, and that there are other clients out there if this one is too normie for you.

still waiting for a decent (not electron) desktop client that supports olm

Proprietary malware.

Been running my own homeserver for a year. Currently the best (maybe only) option for open source self-hosted multi device history syncing globally federated messengers. UX can really use work but myself and my circle of friends get along with it just fine.

Round up o the Matrix protocol? How it compares to IRC?

It's just a client.

It's open-source you fuckwad

Way better. It can also bridge with IRC and other stiff like slack

What is it?

this

host your own FOSS slack with multi-user double ratchet encryption.

nheko client looks promising, needs help tho

Anyone who wants a Home Server to hang around, check out banter.city sometime.

Our main room is #general:banter.city and we have our own web gateway up at totallysafe.website right now.

This or xmpp?

Doesn't it use the same alias for everything? I thought privacy and security were core features.

Sup Forums should write a better Matrix client.

[spoiler]I'll make the logo.[/spoiler]

This. XMPP has a shit load of problems which matrix can solve

Great potential but needs funding.

Let's call Shark Muttleworth.

Why not, Tox did happen.

What happen to tox???

Why when there are so man good IRC clients?

Irc is very limited and fully centralized. Matrix adds many modern features and is federated. Things like bots are also a shitload simpler over matrix than irc.
You can use an irc client to connect to the matrix network, but you would only enjoy the limited subset of functionalities that irc supports. A client would offer more features and more convenient control (e.g. perhaps you'd like to be able to participate in the federation by clicking a button).

A federated IRC would be good, attempts are being made sourceforge.net/projects/p2pirc/
Also, someone proposed to use DCC for audio and video streaming, is only mater of time to get a script that output streaming to separate clients like MPV.

reddit

But then you're building collections of hacks on top of a system that's obviously not build to handle these kinds of patterns. Matrix support those from the get go, and can be accessed by irc clients.

This except that running my own server was a mistake, now I can't join a big room without slowing synapse down to a halt.