AMD IS DISABLING BRANCH PREDICTION

AMD IS DISABLING BRANCH PREDICTION

PANIC

lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2018-01/msg00004.html

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/general-discussion/999103-more-linux-kernel-gcc-patches-come-out-in-the-wake-of-spectre-meltdown/page4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What a disasster

In English, doc

OH NO NO NO NO

OPENSUSE CAN'T READ AND IS DISABLING BRANCH PREDICTION ON AMD

THESE ARE THE GENIUSES WHO SIGNED MICROSOFT'S WE INFRINGED BUT DON'T SUE US THING

prepare 4 more performance killing patches to fix yet another security whole

amd go very slow very soon

In some cases, spectre2 allows a process to view its own pages on AMD. While this is nowhere in the league of the Intel flaw which allows a process to view any other process' memory and secrets, there are cases where it may be preferable to not have this behaviour at all such as high-security installations. Disabling branch prediction is a sane stance in a defence in depth approach, if only prophylactic.

Good thing opensuse isn't used for anything that matters.

Enjoy your gimped linux distro.

Good thing I don't use Linux on my Ryzen.

This only affects LinuxPajeets. Windows masterrace unaffected

people uses suse?

>Opensuse
>Ever

>I've heard back from AMD.... At least this PR person is saying: . “Disabling branch prediction” is definitely not an accurate description and we are working to address with SUSE now.
phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/general-discussion/999103-more-linux-kernel-gcc-patches-come-out-in-the-wake-of-spectre-meltdown/page4

Inaccurate patch notes.

My understanding is that it only disables indirect branch prediction. Still going to be awful for performance though!

They are doing the same as the Intel microcode update presumably, offering kernel a bit to enable/disable indirect branch speculation. Usually it will be disabled on entry into kernel and reenabled on exit, so it helps the kernel, not necessary user programs spying on each other (retpoline for those)

Aemdee go maek msn lood sloawer d00ode

>openSUSE

NOOOO i don't want lesser performance than BROADWELL! It will go back to bulldozer levels!

OpenSuSe? wtf is that kind of obscure BSD distro? Does anyone even use it? and for what?

The processor literally can't function in any meaningful capacity without a branch predictor being operable. These patch notes are simply inaccurate.

/thread

How many Intel shills are in Distros mailists?

techlet or top bait right here