I changed all my passwords then proceeded to overwrite my KeePass database with an old version like the fucking...

I changed all my passwords then proceeded to overwrite my KeePass database with an old version like the fucking brainlet I am.
I can recover a few of them but some very important ones are unrecoverable, including important mail associated with important accounts.
File history wasn't enabled. I don't have a file recovery live boot shit and downloading one at this point might be disastrous. Recuva normal scan got nothing, an impatient cancelled deep scan found yesterday's .kdbx but that's not good enough as I replaced all my shit today.
I'm waiting on a full deep scan now. 1 hour to go. Should that fail, what options do I have left?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/help/security/recover-older-versions
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

40 minutes to go.
Getting that noose ready

Nope, deep scan only got yesterday's. It also found some older ones that are unrecoverable due to being overwritten. Jesus christ what the fuck happened to today's? When you overwrite a file in windows it just up and disappears completely?

Restore from backup.

I guess it's time for a retirement plan

sounds horrible, exactly the type of scenario that keeps me from using password managers because I'm also a brainlet

currently still trying to figure out how to use the powershell script to check for spectre/meltdown on bindows 7 kek

I just write down my passwords on a piece of paper, and keep it somewhat hidden. Has worked without issue.

Should have used lastpass goy, it is more resistant to your kind of stupid

just use the same password for everything
if you're paranoid use a second one for your most important shit in case the first one gets leaked on some random website or whatever

Welcome to the world of "No Backups". You probably also run a Hitachi drive because those drives never fail.

You should use keypass as well. It's got a lot of useful features, but the paper backup is a good way to make sure you don't lose it.

If you use keypass, your database should be in at least 3 different locations. I keep one on my server, one on my personal computer, and one on a usb drive. To be honest I'm awful at getting them synced up but if I were ever to do major changes the first thing I'd do is re back it up, since at that point I effectively would only have one copy of my database.

This is why I use Master Password.

I can nuke my computer and still recover all my passwords.

Reinstall it from your backup :^)

It's a tiny file so when deleted there's not much chance it's overwritten within a day, so it's perfectly recoverable. Just like yesterday's was. But when you overwrite a file with another version, the other one just up and disappears entirely? What kind of sorcery is this

But that's had one security breach after another

I was literally in the process of backing up but fucked that up.

Running another deep scan, other software suggestions?

F U C K

pretty sure it literally overwrites it if there's room for the new file.

catch you on the flipside space cowgoy

This is why I use git + password-store.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's because I have the 'tism but the point remains

I want my e-mail back ffffffffuuuuuuuuck

Just go through the email password recovery process.

It's an unrecoverable secure e-mail

I refuse to understand why someone would use password managers instead of good old pen and paper.
I carry my password journal on me at all times and it's never been stolen or looked at.

OC

Go back to bed, grandpa. This is a technology board.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Technology shouldn't replace existing working tools, it should create new ones.

what are you going to do when somebody steals your wallet?

Beat the shit out of him and take my wallet back like a man.

>brute force attack

So inelegant.

>tfw when I keep all my passwords in a txt file called "Passwords" that sits on my desktop
Been working out great for me for the past 10 years. Feels good man.

>implying you have unique and completely randomized 64 character passwords for each and every site in your notebook
>implying a physical piece of paper that can be seen or stolen is as secure as a database with a good password

Bro, why the fuck would you only have one copy? Especially just on your fucking desktop... Learn to make backups.

>password managers
Why use one? I'm guessing you folks have 255-characters long randomized passwords?

this is unironically a good idea

Too many sites, accounts etc to be able to have a unique password for each and every one.
Too many security breaches to reuse passwords, keep them the same forever or even worse, both.

I'll probably just make an encrypted container and store a copy of the passwords. But very true, it's good to have at least 3 backups.

>But when you overwrite a file with another version, the other one just up and disappears entirely? What kind of sorcery is this

updating a file would point to the same inode, except for cases of file system fragmentation

the reason it works for "deleted" files is because your filesystem doesn't shred them on deletion, it just deletes its knowledge of where the file was

>Secure password meme.
A 16 character randomized password is good enough for my applications.
>It'll get stolen.
Considering it's at my person 24/7, they'd have to kill me to get it.
In this case I'd have a slightly bigger problem than lost passwords.

>tattoos passwords all over his body

I admire your dedication.

dude I think you underestimate how easy it is to snatch something out of somebody's pocket and run away

not necessarily
if what the program does is build the new file in memory, delete the old file and save a new one then the old one can still be around somewhere
if it keeps the inode and rewrites the actual original file then yeah you're fucked

OP here, I'm closing this one out on my part. Everything of value was recoverable except for my fucking e-mail which was actually important but not enough to an hero.
Lesson learned? Pen and paper.
Just fucking kidding, putting dates in my database file names.
Also turned on winshit 10 file history.

>tattoos
>implying
>he doesn't carry a book full of sensitive information in his arse
I bet you don't even know to use the spare pages as loo paper.

>spare pages
>not dynamically declaring space as needed

No wonder you're such a huge ass.

>I refuse to understand why someone would use password managers instead of good old pen and paper.

Because reading and typing in a different 32 char. password everytime for each service sucks ass?

how the hell do you not have backup copies?

>I changed all my passwords then proceeded to overwrite my KeePass database with an old version like the fucking brainlet I am.

why did you make different .kdbx files in the first place?

Just overwrite the old one?

can you read?

>had 2 backups
>had a backup open instead of the original file
>didn't realize

>password manager
how about you just
[genericpassword][device/website or initials][@Bc123]

just assumed everybody uploads anything remotely important to the cloud.
>local file on the computer.
>(optional) backup file to an external drive or 2nd internal drive.
>another backup on the cloud.

i've accidentally deleted my keepass files before.
luckily i had old backups saved everywhere.

The thing is, the only important thing I lost was one of the new generated passwords so a backup wouldn't have helped.

that made me lol.
also.
for the future, i think Dropbox might help you out there.
dropbox.com/help/security/recover-older-versions

i used to use it for my IP Camera. noticed that it had a recycling bin which would hold files for 30 days. not sure how great it is at recovering older versions of a file but it does say that it can.

Not bad, might use for gnu.
On windows, 8/10 also has this functionality, but I only just found out after I needed it and it's disabled by default.
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

I did this at one point but then decided to go grandpa mode (dollar store notebook)

Most of my passwords are the same or very close with slight variations except a few more critical things

>Most of my passwords are the same or very close with slight variations except a few more critical things

1 breach and all are gone

Storing passwords in elecronic form, trusting unknown software to be good.

Meh...

Ask NSA, they know.

>keepass
>unknown software
literally the only reason I converted to keepass is the fact it's open source

>lashes out at open source keepass
>says nothing about lastpass and other solutions that store it on their cloud
kek

Holy shit other people do this? It's been my secret for years.

As for my university, it makes us change our password every few months, so it's [GenericPassword]YearSem(1/2)

I don't see how you could do this.

Wouldn't you open your current KeePass vault, change the passwords and then update them in KeePass?

I thought KeePass had its own version history. It doesn't make sense to keep multiple file copies of the KeePass database if I'm correct.

That said i do have independent work/personal databases I was worried about overwriting. I burn an anti EMP Bluray backup at the end of the year with an annual important documents backup, so I guess my advice is restore from backup :^)

For me it works by opening a database file every time, no vault to call its own