Which distro and DE are you using and why?

Which distro and DE are you using and why?
No need to be shy, you're here to be judged.

Pic related for me, just werkz, works really well on my shitty hardware, haven't had any of the usual issues I have with other distros.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wAFHhtA
voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fedora

everything works unlike with other distros

void + openbox on this system, but 2bwm > hlwm > openbox

Arch with i3.
I decided to try Arch despite the infamous CLI installation. It was easy and probably is the best distro I ever tried, pacman is perfect.
i3 because I had dwm and a fetish for the DIY, but I was sick of recompiling, mostly because of the need to restart the machine.
Arch+i3 is just comfy, I use my own commands and everything is faster and clean. I can't live without dmenu.
Extra: I log via CLI, with the .xinitrc set to automatically startx if in tty1.

shill time
try hlwm if you like the minimalism of dwm. its capabilities and config in bash are pretty similar to i3 but it just uses like 1/3 of the resources.

Debian sid unstable, which is actually pretty stable. Everything works out of the box, way comfier than my previous arch.

Extra2: sometimes things will broke, until now I always managed to repair them. If I feel the urge to distrohop again, I'll go with Debian+i3, my gf had it and it seems ok.

Debian with kde plasma

ZorinOS
Xfce
Because it's one of the 2 distros with Xfce that don't look like absolute shit out of the box.

Antergos Gnome. Because it's awesome.

hlwm is fucking amazing, don't know why more people don't use it

Seems interesting, I'll try it right now

Trisquel 7.0 mini with custom LXDE.

Void GNU/Linux + awesomewm on laptop
Debian GNU/Linux + awesomewm on desktop

W10 LTSB

xubuntu - XFCE

Fedora + KDE
Best DE I've ever used

Antergos + Cinnamon.
After distrohopping for months I've found out Antergos is the distribution that works better on my machine. It's the only one that worked out of the box and didn't break for me.
Cinnamon because it also works out of the box and is good looking. Tried also: KDE but is buggy as fuck, Xfce but needs too much tweaks, Gnome but I don't like how it works.

Void and i3, can't get my shit to connect to my ntpfs-external without going full mate though, void is shit for people who don't have the time to configure basic shit like this. And no I don't want to command my way into my external drive the entire time.

how much does your gf weigh?

hah, her hair looks like an ape in this thumbnail

Arch + i3
I couldn't be more happy

I was using Kubuntu for a while.

Win7 soon to be win10LTSB on desktopcomputer because gayms
win7 on main laptop because it's my work laptop
Manjaro Xfce for my other laptop
i'm on an old ass Ubuntu with Unity wich used to be my old WinXP at my father's place (family reunions and stuff)

Mint with MATE DE cause I'm a newfag to linux. Although I have tried some other distros too but I still like mint the best.

debian + i3

Antergos + Xfce

>Anime
Poison + Rope

>Anime

Debian + Gnome

Arch

back and forth between i3 and awesome

Have you tried StumpWM? It's made by the same guy who made ratpoison but it's 10000x better. And you can install it from a CL repl.

>GNOME
>all these icons on desktop
disgusting

Ubuntu + i3. Very comfy.

Debian + XFCE

antergos and herbstluftwm
antergos is easy to install, and hlwm is functional and easy to set up.

i might switch to void in a couple of days (partitioning is the thing i've got most issues with), but i'd like to stay with hlwm.

>gf
>my
jej
>implying

Just finished setting up Arch with i3 on my laptop. It's been a while since I've used Linux, and I'm most comfortable with Arch since I fell for the meme years ago.

Honestly picked i3 because I knew I wanted a twm again but couldn't remember what I used to use.

I want to try out hlwm or bspwm, having a hard time deciding though.

Cent
xfce

minimal install and built it up. very light. stable. does everything i need it to. great support. customized everything

Xubuntu just werx.
There is a second panel to the right with a worspace switcher, weather plugin and some more shit that is like the other panels, docks etc. set to autohide, so by default without any activity by the user there is only the wallpaper to see.

>workspace switcher

There are more than 2 distros with Xfce that don't look like absolute shit out of the box.

Don't fall for the DE meme. WMs are better.

Can you compare it to i3? I really like i3 and how easy it is to customize, but if hlwm is reasonably the same and uses less resources, I want to look into it.

perfect

First post best post. I use it on my desktop. It's stable, up to date, easy to use, and has all the best packages. The QEMU support is better than any other distro I've used, which means it takes me like 3 seconds to start up any version of Windows, OS X, Solaris, BSD, or nearly any other OS I want to use. It's simply amazing to be able to be as comfy as I want in just a few clicks, and still have such a versatile and feature rich OS underneath. It also has awesome XFS support, and XFS is good for powerful machines using a lot of solid state storage. I have mostly SSDs in my machine and XFS is faster than EXT4 in most day to day tasks, and much faster with copying large files. The default LUKS encryption is also working great since the day I installed it.

>inb4 redhat shill
I do this for free because I have just nothing bad to say about Fedora. I've been using it for 11+ months without a single hiccup.

In terms of looks of frames and window borders, and keybindings, it's all in the config file called "autostart". It's equally easy as i3. "hc keybind $Mod-t spawn thunar" - that's how the keybinding looks.

The default panel is dzen2 and it uses the panel.sh file. It's a bit limited but it gets the job done - it has the window name by default and the windows have no name tags when you make them float.

Moreover, every wspace can have dozens of frames which, each one considered, can house many windows.

In all, Hlwm is really great and there are more possibilities for it than for i3.

Void + bspwm

High Sierra + Aqua

Pretty new to Linux but for Ubuntu I'm just using Gnome/unity on 16.04 and loving it. I'm using it on a t420 so it just works for me. I'm dual booting it alongside Windows 7 pro but I don't use Windows much.

>windows 10 with all privacy settings off
>just werkz
>doesn't cuck me with data mining
>compatible with nearly every program on the face of the Earth

debian mate

>no systemd

>funky-ass package manager

>wanting to micromanage everything to the point of having to write a shit ton of code in order to turn the volume up
Yeah I love the keyboard shortcuts and the meme terminals but I also have a life.

>compatible with nearly every program on the face of the Earth

Nice bait there.

>pretending systemd is a pro

stop larping you dont have to write any "code" besides one line bash scripts.

it's really not that hard.
i go alt+c for chromium, or alt+t for file manager. i don't have to click on any icons for those. it's just instantly there.

Manjaro because it's literally the most stable distro out there, and has AUR access.

I3 because it's the least resource intensive and can behave exactly the way you want and is ridiculously easy to configure.

Void bspwm

Budgie looks like cinnamon. does it require pulseaudio/systemD?

name 5 programs that aren't compatible with windows

Final Cut Pro
Logic
Compressor
IINA
Safari

But hey, at least you have Microsoft 3D Paint (((TM)))

I use KDE because GNOME is slow as shit on my x201 and Unity is completely broken with their latest updates.

I notice a lot of you are running unfree software/unfree distros.

Why aren't you running GNU/Linux?

Debian Sid + Xfce

ur on an anime website idiots

>Waiting 5 hours to reply
Typical Weaboo degenerate, I bet you use Arch as your primary OS.

>Final cut pro
Applel dollar store video editor
>Logic
Applel product
>Compressor
Applel product
>IINA
Applel video player
>Safari
Applel dollar store browser

wm: dwm
why? No fucking bloat expect for systemdicks

Kaiser come back

discord.gg/wAFHhtA

The GNU/Linux  server misses you

Fuck you cunt. Dwm is 10x better than herbslutwm. I don't get why you fucking faggots shill it. Prove me wrong and i might change my mind.

having to recompile it every time you want a change. a real deal breaker.

ubuntu with i3
will soon switch to something else, probably Qubes OS
I really wanna try gentoo but since it uses up so much time and I need a computer ready to use it would be really annoying..

NetBSD, OpenBox

If you aren't using NetBSD you really truly hate yourself

Why is the fact that a piece of software was developed by Apple a derogatory statement?

>WM
>still uses fat ass title bars

Does anybody know how to get the terminal cursor to look like this?

Windows 10 can't run dos/win 32 programs.

Because literally any program Apple computers have are dollar store versions of their windows counterparts.

Aperture was light years ahead of Lightroom, Final Cut Studio used to be the industry standard, iTunes revolutionized the music industry, the list goes on

ranger
GPaste
i3
ULauncher
Lollypop

>*was*

arch
i thought it was good but im switching to void tomorrow

Void Linux with SwayWM no DE.
Minimal, no systemD, just works.
TilingWM is comfy.

Good choice user.

>void
voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html

nvm then, installing getoo

nice dubs and how the fuck

>optional package

Enlightenment terminal looks like this. Also atom. Shit taste desu

So you haven't updated since you installed

Debian with Cinnamon. Works great on my desktop and I haven't had to reinstall a single time like I had to do on so many other distros when they get fucked over time. Now I never want to leave cosy Debian, just works that's all.

I'm currently using i3 on Arch, but I'm kind of fed up with configuring like five different applications in order to get a seamless experience.
Can somebody recommend a minimal DE that can do tiling? Bonus points for wayland support.

The default Xfce UI looks like outdated shit. I never liked grayscale interfaces. They're depressing to look at. Nothing beats ChaletOS and ZorinOS themes.

Debian becuz it just works on my old desktop

Tomorrow i'll start linux (debian) for the first time, i want to try it... any advice? how do you customize it? is it hard to use?

it looks nice 2bh

pic unrelated

;)