And worst software award goes to

And worst software award goes to

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Sup
warosu.org/g/thread/S64163991/
discordapp.com/privacy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're wrong.

OP, you can't just start a thread and end it at the same time.

Nu-males like it.

i like it

Don't you mean Electron, which is the cause of it running like shit?

I have no problems

Step aside, kid.

Visual Studio Code

That's the worst software you've used?
Are you even fucking trying?

Why exactly do you consider it bad?

edgelords gotta edge

Bad software is one that causes you to Insta blue screen.

>Everyone uses Teamspeak
Not perfect but ok
>People start moving to Mumble
Ok, at least we are now using a open source
>People move to Discord
ffs....

Sorry,but i use Slack,Discord is for kids.

Botnet, owner by communists, used by kids and faggots, shit ux.

>t. neo-Sup Forums

The fuck is up with neo-Sup Forums constantly spamming this shit around? We had an almost exactly identical thread yesterday

boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/64163991/
Iwarosu.org/g/thread/S64163991/

And this shitter reposted his very same thread like 4 - 5 times on Sup Forums

Jesus, man.. The lengths shitters go to to try shove their preference and opinion down other's throats

lol troled

retard here. what does discord even do? just a chat room type thing or something?

Voice & video chat (though it's pretty bad at video right now). Rich text chat, so embeds/emojis/basic markdown, stuff like that.

Open API for people to make server bots to process commands and data and the like, which comes in *really* handy for certain things.

its a better skype with voice channels and video calls but the voice channels are worse than something like TS or mumble. And it has text channels that are just worse versions of IRC. Not sure how it got so popular but gamers and reddit love it.

>friends use only Wire, Mumble and Steam
Feels good.

It's like centralized IRC with emoticons and voice channels and stuff.
It's completely proprietary, you have to pay for some features and they don't allow you to host your own servers. It doesn't have directional audio in games as well.

>It doesn't have directional audio in games as well
It also doesn't have whispering. How do communities like MMO guilds even organize with that shit?

This is a pretty neat feature, didn't know about this.

I can only see limited use cases for it, though, like FCing in Eve. I don't see the point in it unless you're actively running content, and in those situations you're typically clean comms unless you've got something important to say.

Outside of active content, I just use rank-specific text channels. I don't mind typing, though.

Back when I played MMOs it was heavily used in any guild I was part of Precisely so you don't have to keep clean comms and can fuck around in your smaller channel while important communication for the whole group is done through whispers.

it's like Slack for unemployed people and transgendered gamers

Discord in fullscreen is okay, but it's even more amazing when tiled with other windows.

That sounds messy in my head, but I imagine it probably worked well enough in practice.

The fact that they monitor and censor your private conversations is reason enough for me not to use it.

>censor your private conversations
Source?

>they don't allow you to host your own servers
Seriously? Why the fuck do people use that garbage then?

The same reason they use Facebook, instagram, etc. Because it's popular, and it looks nice. It's more user friendly than mumble or teamspeak so all tech illiterate can use it and they bring the rest.

Should make a clarification, just in case there was a misunderstanding. You can have your own separate servers. They mean that you can't host your own copy of Discord's server-side stuff.

If there wasn't a misunderstanding, then it's simply because people don't care about who hosts the server software, as long as it works.

Maybe older, outdated services should look into being more user-friendly, then.

>Maybe older, outdated services should look into being more user-friendly, then.
No thanks. Having a slight barrier to usability keeps out the soyboy gamers

Anything other than IRC is bloat.

>Botnet
That's a fair complaint, but it's not a huge glaring flaw that makes it be the worse. Spyware affects the privacy, not the quality. Plenty of people including theses who listen to the philosophy of free open-source software still use some other proprietary software for the sake of convenience and "just werks", meaning spyware doesn't make a software be classified as a bad thing overall.

>owner by communists
Right, and we have a furry who develops Pale Moon, which despite this, Pale Moon is still a favorable browser among many. Your point is?

>used by kids and faggots
Looks like you ran out of arguments.

Millennial asswad bullshit fucking loading screens.

>botnet
>not a huge glaring flaw
Yes it fucking is. Where do you think we are?

Botnet.

I'm not them, but I'm going to fill you in on something.

With Sup Forums's ridiculously loose definition of 'botnet', the fact that you're using the internet right now means you're part of a botnet, whatever the hell that means to you.

>The fact that they monitor and censor your private conversations is reason enough for me not to use it.
You wanna know what's even better? One of their head server engineers or whatever the fuck they call him would hang around a discord for high ranked players of a certain game and drool all over them like a pre teen meeting her favorite singer, he would spam and I genuinely thought he was a 14 year old server janitor hired by discord in its infancy. He's actually a fully grown adult in charge of server side garbage, and has full access to anything you have ever typed in discord. There is a man spamming cat picture commands on servers he has nothing to do with because he likes the attention, and he can see everything you do. Discord doesn't have the oversight a big company would either, nothing will be done if he does take a peek.
I'm not one to complain about professionalism, but he was acting like an actual child would, not even immature just fucking questionably unstable

>Maybe older, outdated services should look into being more user-friendly, then.
It's not really possible. It's not about bad UI design or complicated certificate system.
What makes discord easy to use is that you can get serwer without hosting it yourself, then you can login on discord website and access everything from their webpage without downloading program. You need money to do this, and you can't have money if you make opensource project and give full control over system to end users. You need to see muh stickers and emoticons.

I want history and voice chats though.

>set up an IRC channel
nobody joins

>set up a discord
active community builds up

it's actually the Sup Forums userbase that's to blame.

it's the best thing available for what I use it for, that said, I use it sparingly

what gets me are the Sup Forums boards who have discords. it's almost like they don't understand the need/use of an anonymous message board

not him, but:
>not a huge glaring flaw
yes it is
>Spyware affects the privacy, not the quality
privacy is a huge aspect of quality
would you use an online banking service that doesn't implement TLS? why give your online communications any less priority, when FOSS developers have made it so easy to implement proper privacy controls nowadays?
>...still use some other proprietary software for the sake of...spyware doesn't make a software be classified as a bad thing overall
that's their choice, and i dare say they don't represent the whole. IMO this argument doesn't hold weight when IRC is so fucking easy to use
>Pale Moon
isn't this the browser that made a patch preventing its users from installing a particular adblocker that mozilla didn't restrict at all on firefox? i use standard firefox, but after reading that i don't know if they act in good faith. do people actually use this?

Discord collects data on you. See their private policy. It's a botnet.
discordapp.com/privacy

>the fact that you're using the internet right now
I use TLS for a reason.

>I want history and voice chats though.
IRC has logs. Voice is bloat.

Read what I said.
>With Sup Forums's ridiculously loose definition of 'botnet'

Data collection != botnet. This is what you bumbling idiots don't get.

>Data collection != botnet

Name a widely used alternative, one that I don't have to try and convince someone to install, to use once, then find next time I need to voice chat with them they've uninstalled it.

and the winner is

I can't speak for everyone, but my friends and I use IRC primarily, and hop on Mumble if we want to voice chat

>Steam chat
Ewww. Please tell me you only use the text version and not the voice chat.

>Join the official Discordâ„¢ !

Lucky you. Try teaching someone who barely knows what a computer is to use IRC or Mumble.

Just make the font slightly smaller and put it into compact mode, if that's still not enough room, just hide the member list.

Of course.
We use Mumble for voice chat, Wire for messaging and steam to ping someone(it's reliable).

It's so fucking shit. Even Skype has a better UI and better sounding voice calls. Skype is way more stable too.

You've clearly never been in a skype group call. Especially with a load of retards using their laptop's built in mics.

i don't feel there's any shame in using proprietary software if the user fully understands the data that's being collected and feels they don't want to invest time in learning an alternative.

however it seems most people don't know what's being collected or simply haven't bothered to check.

>Yes it fucking is.
If that's the case, then explain why does this board still presents a part of population that prefers to use programs like uTorrent 2.2.1, Spotify, Chromium or any similar product of Google, and OSes like Windows and Mac.

>Where do you think we are?
We're on a board where "botnet" is the the only word most people spout and yell when theses same people are confronted with any kind of discussion and debate.

He's right, you know. Botnet is a malware that can be remotely controlled by a person to leech and and establish a hidden network to a computer or a server without the consent in order to bring attacks of DDoS.

Discord's privacy policy denotes telemetry and spyware, not botnet. Their privacy expressing their forms of controlling data to make you be aware of what do they do is a fact that's enough to debunk it's a botnet.

did you spill coffee on your fucking computer?

I totally agree with you on this. But people just don't care. If they did, we wouldn't have the problem cause they'd probably want to use something less proprietary.
I got a lot of people to switch to Telegram from Whatsapp back when it was new. Shame that turned out to be shit, although at least it's the better of the two.

No it was tea.

100% actual botnet. That's why it's the worst

I really feel like Sup Forums would do a much better job of fighting against botnets by actually talking about alternatives rather than just calling everything a botnet.

One must be pragmatic about this and remember that most people aren't assburgers who spend their time on chinese cartoon discussion forums. And if the normie masses keep supporting the botnets, then the botnets will continuing becoming evermore powerful to the extent where they can even banish any alternative outright.

Thus, in the case of Discord, ask yourselves: why do people use it? The answer is clearly that there is a need for a chatting platform which enables multiple servers, has text and voice chat, has things like a friends system, is aesthetically pleasing, juss werks, and has le funny rebbit maymays.

So, what exactly is the non-botnet alternative to the above? And if one doesn't exist, what would be the way forward to making normies abandon this botnet?

It's impossible.

I disagree, for example Telegram is non-profit and partially open-source. Of course, it's still far from perfect, but it's just an example that alternative business models are entirely possible.

Discord works unlike you

prove it fagget, you don't even know what a botnet is

>being this new

Knowing that 90% of Sup Forums is retarded and completely tech inept does not mean I'm new, I guarantee you that most of the "botnet" spamming isn't even a meme and people actually believe this.

It filled in the gap that Skype made when Microsoft bought it. It runs on electron, so it's slow and works like shit on older computers, but it's still better then Skype.

>oh my god someone who works at discord likes video games

>then explain why does this board still presents a part of population that prefers to use programs like uTorrent 2.2.1, Spotify, Chromium or any similar product of Google, and OSes like Windows and Mac.
Anyone that browses this board and uses those things are completely retarded and should go back to where they came from.

>Botnet is a malware
Data collection is malware.

Underrated post here

>owner by communists
wtf i love discord now

Thanks.

man i'm glad i don't have to use this piece of shit software for teens.

lol censorship on a chat platform, shows how trash discord is.

discordapp.com/privacy

Discord is actually good. And I used to hate it just like everyone else. Telegram on the other hand, what en enormous piece of shit.

This.

Hilter Youth haircut committed murder / homicide and the Alt-Right /pol /Nazi circle jerk channels were shut down. I bet that is why OP is butthurt

Nigger, you realize that we all know the true meaning of botnet, we just call shit that infringes or our freedums botnet. Fucking dumbass

He doesn't come in for the videogames he comes in to jerk off and flex his power
If you're ok with an actual manchild who is easily upset having access to everything you say and do I've got some hot pockets to sell you

indeed a piece of shit software

eh it is a private entity, they have the right to allow or disallow content on their platform as they see fit.

You act like Sup Forums never deletes threads.

but their hate against hate is a form of hate which they will be required to fight against..
unless of course they're liars blatantly lying..
but who would go onto the internet and just lie like that?
WHO I ASK

MC HAMMER

this Also it's free and somewhat decent quality, you can pay for better servers but ideally you'd just use teamspeak etc instead.
It was marketed by gaymers on Twitch and Youtube as a community thing, and as such it became popular despite it's faults, leading to it being a standard for pickup games etc.
It's not bad, but it's not really good unless you pay either.

slow shit

It's ok to hate majority.

Intolerance can not be tolerated.

Discord is private property.

>And worst software award goes to
Goes to iTunes of course.

>Not sure how it got so popular

this is the biggest fucking red-flag

that's not what the word edgy means

>Today we've shut down a number of accounts associated with the events in Charlottesville.
I hope that means the McDonalds server because that bitch was killed by Big Macs.

You think it's bad now? Wait until they sell it to oculus or have to start turning profit.