/img/ - Intel Meltdown General

Intel Meltdown thread

PNG (Currently 52MB): chiru.no/u/intel_collage.png

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FY5V600ceuU
multicians.org/protection.html
blackhat.com/docs/us-15/materials/us-15-Domas-The-Memory-Sinkhole-Unleashing-An-x86-Design-Flaw-Allowing-Universal-Privilege-Escalation-wp.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lmao purge youtube.com/watch?v=FY5V600ceuU

Noob here
What's happening

We're all going to die. Call your mom.

start here multicians.org/protection.html

you mean his father wife

Intel has a massive security bug affecting everything they shitted out in last 10 years.
AMD is absolutely flawless, completely unaffected.
Security patches got released. Security """""(((patches)))""""" create performance drop anywhere from 30% to 67%.
Patch affects syscalls directly.
Nvidia's video cards don't have internal syscall module and heavily rely on external syscalls from OS, thus potentially making nVidia cards susceptible to performance drops and being essentially compromised even if paired with an AMD CPU. Alas, this was not proven nor refuted thus far, We will see soon.
If paired with Intel CPU, however, nVidia GPUs get a 100% confirmed performance drop.
AMD is absolutely flawless, unaffected on neither the security of CPUs or performance of CPUs and GPUs. Radeon GPUs are absolutely not affected by syscall performance drops because Radeons had an internal integrated syscall module as far back as GCN 1.1, nVidia, however, deliberately got rid of them since GTX 5xx days.
Worst combination of hardware EVER starting from this point on - Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU.
Fine, but potentially compromised combination of hardware - AMD CPU + nVidia GPU (compromising is purely on nVidia's side if it ever happens, as AMD is absolutely flawless).
Absolutely flawless, impenetrable, invulnerable combination - AMD CPU + AMD GPU.
Brian Krzchanich sold several millions of Intel's stock several days before this was found out, while Intel's board of directors fully knew what was happening.
Covfefe Lake was released even though Intel already knew it was affected.
Each and EVERY Intel processor released in the last 10 years is affected.
Even if AMD encounters some future attempts at bypassing it's absolutely flawless SEV protection system, any and all potential holes can be fixed easily on software level.
Intel's holes are hardware and cannot be fixed fully.

wtf now Im team Ayyymd

>design flaw
>flaw
lmao
blackhat.com/docs/us-15/materials/us-15-Domas-The-Memory-Sinkhole-Unleashing-An-x86-Design-Flaw-Allowing-Universal-Privilege-Escalation-wp.pdf

I can't hear jack shit what he says.
I can't understand jack shit what he says.
And I'm cranking my volume knobs to the max.

Wtf
Gotta rework on my planed build
Fuxk

You should've became a member that very instant RyZen was released at the beginning of previous year. Do it now in March, when RyZen+ 2xxx comes out. Literal Sandy Bridge of AMD's.

Yeah my trust in x86 is shaken permanently now. Is ARM the future? We should start assessing its security

was shitpost anyway

In Ryzen We Trust

what of he don't live in murica ?

you mean his Black Stepfather.

wtf
was thinking about 1050 + 1200 for budget bulid but now i will go for 550...

does anyone know if differeance in power draw between these two is big ?

apparently the nvidia driver suffers from kpti because of how it's implemented, the amd driver doesn't

only amd+amd is left unscathed

> my OC made it into the picture
I made it mom! I'm popular!

Fuck, it's too long.

Sounds interesting. New uarch that doesn't have backward compatibility with x86, should be significantly faster, shouldn't it?

>only amd+amd is left unscathed
So are the reports that AMD and ARM are affected too wrong?

Spectre isn't the performance-decreasing bugfix

Turn on closed captions, they actually worked quite well when I watched that video earlier.

Oh, alright. I guess I've been getting Spectre and Meltdown mixed up.

It's gonna take several years before processors roll off the lines that don't have any Spectre vulnerabilities.

intellys on suicide watch, how will they ever recover!

In Lisa We Trust.
Zen Bless Jim Keller.

ARM is vulnerable to spectre too fampai

Buy ryzen+radeon

>wtf
>wtf
>wtf
Is this a forced le memey?

Performance is affected by SECURITY PATCH, not by malicious software which it was supposed to protect against. Meltdown and both Spectre 1 and Spectre 2 don't affect performance - they just fuck your shit up royally. It's the patches against them which heavily cut down performance.

Meltdown - Patchable with OS/Browser updates
Spectre 1 - Patchable with BIOs microupdate
Spectre 2 - Next 10 years
Am I correct?

....or you could've just been a good boy and use AMD CPUs all this time, ya know. No need to "wait several years before processors with Spectre/Meltdown holes closed on hardware level" come out, as AMD's glorious CPUs are already absolutely flawless and completely invulnerable to all this shit.

what's a good alternative to the Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor?

:C

>Performance is affected by SECURITY PATCH, not by malicious software which it was supposed to protect against.
I know it's the patches, not the vulnerabilities that affect performance, I guess I should have been clearer.

AMD is vulnerable to spectre you dolt

so much wasted time

>Meltdown - Patchable with OS/Browser updates
AMD not affected at all due to Zen's very architectural structure and Intel has a hardware hole that can't be fixed fully, just mitigated temporarily. Intel is fucked royally with Meltdown.

>Spectre 1 - Patchable with BIOs microupdate
Only on AMD. Intel has a hardware hole that can't be fixed fully, just mitigated temporarily. Nvidia is compromised too because of utter lack of integrated syscall module since after GTX 5xx series. Nvidia is not susceptible to attacks due to them being GPUs and not CPUs, BUT they still suffer from performance degradation when """""(((patches)))""""" are applied.

>Spectre 2 - Next 10 years
AMD is absolutely invulnerable as of right now. Intel - see examples #1 and #2.

Only theoretically. The very structure of Zen's architecture, as well as SEV, protect it well. Even IF AMD potentially might get attacked, unlike with Intel holes are easily closed on software level. Intel doesn't have this as it's holes are in hardware.

1600/X.

Bummer, pcpartpicker doesnt list any Ryzen.. Gonna look for it.

Somewhat tech illiterate here.
I have an old Intel i7 and a motherboard with a BIOs update that dates back to 2012.
To be fully protected, I essentially have to get a new Ryzen. Is there anything being done for older shit?

Fuck. How can we be saved from these fucking companies and their deliberate NSA 0 days?

You know what? Intel has made such stunning innovations over the years...literally given me some of the best computing moments of my life. Intel was always there
Every company makes missteps. It's what they do to resolve them that defines who they are. I am fully confident that Intel will bounce back from this better than
ever, and make their customers proud again. AMD has temporarily taken the crown before...Intel always comes back better than ever. So enjoy this small victory
while it lasts, AMD. Intel always, Intel forever!

>It's what they do to resolve them that defines who they are
As far as I've understood, they're not going to be giving refunds.

They will if court ordered to.

Intel fanshit detected

How much of a problem is there gonna be for people who use computers for documents?

>pcpartpicker doesnt list any Ryzen
U w0t, m8?

>Even with Meltdown AMDpoorlets still can't keep up.
>Still slower
>Still warmer
>Still more power hungry

>HOUSEFIRESPAJEET IN STREETS
AWW POOR BABY CAN'T GET 120 FRAMES???

BTFO KID
STAY MAD
>>Sup Forums

Its meltdown fixes gonna affect VM performance?
>shilling a r5 1600 to a lad that want's to run virtual machines

k
This corelets, my god.

>20 shekels have been deposited into your account

>intel
>paying with substancial ammount of money
These fuckers pay their shill with branded pencils and weeb pins.

See .

Does your VM use the CPU? Then yes.

It's not for me, but yes. All VMS will use CPU.

If I run OS+programs that are combined small enough that they all fit into the CPU cache, will I be safe from this?

The last one, here you go:

intshill eternally btfo

one of those pictures says something about hypervisor..,'
whats this about, .. then?