WiFi channels

Seriously FUCK living in crowded apartments...... In my home I only run at 5 GHz Wifi, and I only use 20 MHz bandwidth. Seems good right? The entire 2,4GHz range is being used by 20 different networks so that'd never get working.

Until today, where somebody has set up a brand new router in my area, running at 80 MHz and is essentially claiming the entire fucking channel 40-60 area. I dont have the opportunity to install wired internet in my apartment, so this really really fucking sucks.

So my question/quest to you Sup Forums:

Why hasnt there been made a smart Wireless Channel negotiation protocol/why isn't it used if it exists? Can YOU make the next great thing for people like me that lives in literal wifi hells?

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/wiki/page/com.vrem.wifianalyzer
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
f-droid.org/en/
f-droid.org/packages/com.vrem.wifianalyzer/
amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B00D80J2XU/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Out of curiosity, what did you use to generate that? Thankfully, my apartment complex is full of old people, so not a lot of people on the 5Ghz bands.

>guy on channel 9 Makiposting with his SSID

It's an Android app named WiFi Analyzer.

Here's the 5GHz range

Haha, Bluetooth is in there, too.

In order to use the 80Mhz DFS channels he is using "smart channel negotiation.
It by law has to because it can interfere with local radar systems.

I use 80MHz DFS channel 122 which uses channels 120-124 each channel representing a 20mhz chunk. When my access point detects radar in the area it disable the DFS channel and auto switches to a standard 20MHz channel. It then waits 5 or 10 minutes and checks for radar again before enabling the 80MHz DFS channel.

If your area is particularly RF congested your address point simply won't use 80MHz and will fallback to 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on local conditions.

If you manually configure your own access points it shouldn't be an issue

Pic related, my WiFi speeds using my 80MHz DFS network.

Ethernet over power my pan

>address point
Access point

Try to hack in and see if you can change the router settings to a more reasonable accommodation.

How would I go on to do that? I know its possible with WEP, but WPA and WPA2?

this is one of the reasons I would have a problem living in apartments
all the interference

is it possible to faraday cage certain frequencies?

Low-tech hacks, my nigga. That dude probably bought that router at walmart or something and just plugged it in and let it do all the hard work. See if you can get the brand and model he's using and find the default password.

check out "Powerline Ethernet" it lets you use ethernet through you outlet

>Living in an apartment like a good goyim cuck

Do you have a full 5ghz spectrum graph?
Looking at what you've posted it appears fairly busy but without seeing the upper spectrum (channels 60-165) I can't say for sure. You may wish to upgrade to a router or access point that allows DFS channels with 40/80/160MHz support.

>cerebrum
>lagerwallmaki

Security through network isolation is a mistake.

So basically OP needs to set up one of pic related in his room to get that pesky dude of his channels.

This
It(depending on your wiring) is really dependable,I've ran PowerLAN for like 4 years without a single hiccup.

>wanting to have army grunts at your doorstep

Assuming he's using 80MHz DFS then yes, the access point is constantly monitoring for radar detection on those channels. If it detects any radar (or THINKS it detects radar) it automatically switches to non-DFS channels and requires a minimum of 60 seconds without radar detected on those channels before it can switch back.

>I dont have the opportunity to install wired internet
you mean you can't use a fucking cpl?

If your wiring is good it's pretty much magic
My setup is I have EoP from the router to my mancave, and a GB switch that feeds everything in the room.

you have a wireless router.
so unless you dont have access to that router you can just run a really long ethernet cord. fuck it if it doesnt look clean

I love being surrounded by luddites.

Have europoor slav commie apartment.

2.4ghz is super crowded yet there's not single 5ghz ap. Everyone is cheap as fuck here.

However 2.4ghz still works ok, stream hd torrents to android tv box over it no problem.

>solaris

That doesn't look that crowded. Wifi can operate with overlap. You can use antenna directivity and your proximity to the AP to your advantage here. Beam forming might do some directivity There's also a lot more channels than that. There's a lot more to this than oh someone's bandwidth is overlapping mine so now I'm fucked. There's a how high do I need to get the signal to noise ratio for the link to be good enough for my purposes trade off here.

I thought of this too but routers these days uses 40mhz and channel selecting in auto and sometimes randomly generated wpa keys. my area is full of them. I've already tried a number or gigabyte size wordlists. Now my plan get multiple old routers and spam every channel with deauth packets so they might change settings.

Solaris is one of the great Sci-Fi classics

AAHHHHHH

>have ac router
>all laptops are still n.

Only a single network being broadcast within range at the moment.

Nothing on 5ghz

>purchase "roof foil"
>line walls with it
>boosts your own signal since it'll just bounce around inside
>keeps out your neighbors rogue signals

be sure to use wifi calling though, because good luck getting a cell signal in there

Nice to be living alone without neighbors with internet

I don't even use WiFi. Im pure Ethernet.

Just use the 5ghz range it's not a big deal. Or you can put down your purse and run ethernet. I ran ethernet through my apartment

>Casa
Stop living near spics

How's it going, OP?
:^)

Delet this

My cousin is a retard 3 channel and he chose one thats overlaps.

OP, why not get a cable guy in there and retro fit ethernet outlets in every wall/room?

>spend >$500 to wire ethernet cable

The fuck why do you have ads? The program is free software without shit.

What is wrong with you??? Get the correct Apo from f:droid, holy crap.

That's not the full 5GHz range, there are plenty more channels, its goes up to 150 or something like that

At least he will see them coming.

he obviously doesnt just 'live in am apartment' he is just making something up.

regardless, i put holes in my 3 bedroom apartments walls and ran cable all the way around, never had to do anything special.

$500 to run cables would be a good deal anyways, i'd pay that in a heartbeat

Implying the developer isn't a douche for including ads in the store version just because he can

>implying nu-Sup Forums even knows about f-droid
these retards are probably running gapps as well

>buy $50 cable
>buy $3 ethernet port outlet
>drill in proper places
>wire it
I just saved you $500

no one fucking cares nerd

There are actually some clones at the store with a similar name. The correct app is com.vrem.wifianalyzer which doesn't have ads.
f-droid.org/wiki/page/com.vrem.wifianalyzer

if i have to crawl through attics to run multiple drops i pay someone. my time is worth more than that. running them simply between walls laterally is easy.

What brand of router do you have, user?

just use theirs then

thx nerd
xoxo

A Russian here. I'm the only one who uses 802.11ac in the vicinity. Feels good alongside with a 100mb internet connection from ISP.

My landlord forbid me to drill on the wall without permission. I cant even hang my showerhead now.

just do it anyways, if you have half a brain it will look fine and no one is going to think twice about seeing that anyways. i cant drill either but i still put keystone jacks in all of my rooms, im just not going to say anything.

What speeds does this support? I have gigabit fiber internet and want to wire my house with Cat6 but don't really want to deal with the mess of it.

Im planning to move from this apartment soon so won't risk paying the damage. Plus the only room I want to route my cable to is my bedroom which has some thick as fuck wall.

Just run a cable along the wall. What do you share the place with your mom?

Implying free on F Droid and ads/paid on Google isn't the best model

I don't use WiFi.

Router is Pfsense.

That's true i never close the door ever.. that'd look ugly as fuck tho.

Just hide it behind shit or use cable tacks.

Bonded MoCA 2.0 if you've got coaxial wiring in your walls.

Powerline Ethernet is overall not great. 1200mbps unit provides 150-200mbps in real world use

You can drill through the door frame

>Bonded MoCA 2.0
Much better than power line. Bonded MoCA 2.0 can achieve 850mbps+ in a small to medium sized house.

kek, I live nearby, I'll go there and blast some music under your window, get ready OP!

Not much around here.

tfw I live away from others and have 2 access points on ends of my house

feels good

the 5ghz reaches about 100ft in each direction of my home and is decent throughout the home

the 2.4ghz ofc is much stronger but I only use it on legacy devices.

FYI you guys should use wifi analyzer app on F-DROID see my post:
it has no ads and does everything the same / better

No 80mhz support?

I have up to 160mhz support but it doesn't go to my barn outside

my 2.4 is 20mhz (can be 40mhz)

I found the speeds didn't make a difference, majority of my house is hardwired and only phones & my renters devices are wireless

Fair enough, it made a significant difference for me. Went from 200-275mbps on 5GHz 40mhz up to 375-450 mbps with 80mhz.

Buy whole stack of 2.4 gig and 5 gig routers and make them work on one SSID, so only you can use wireless bandwidth.

Powerline ethernet isn't all that godsend, there are some quirks for example sometimes powerline adapters may not be able to communicate between different floors (if you live in a townhouse complex for example). Another quirk could be the sudden drop in amerage in the power system if for example somebody turns on the sink garbage disposal or opens the garage which can disrupt your network connectivity, other than these worries powerline is a great alternative to pure Ethernet since it offers flexibility yet the stability (i.e. nearly zero jitter) compared to WiFi

oh yea it'll do that for me as well but nobody DL/streams anything worth shit here so it doesn't matter
only my servers & my main desktop computers do big data transfers and they're hardwired ofc

even netflix on peoples phones was using like 10% of their "theoretical max" as reported by the Ubiquiti "max estimated data" thing in the firmware page

It's the:
Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite - Wireless Access Point - 802.11 B/A/G/n/AC (UAPACLITEUS)

even the 2.4ghz at 20mhz streams everything 100% here lol

problem is with 80 & 160mhz it DOESN'T GO THROUGH WALLS FOR SHIT

i searched for "f-droid wifi analyzer" on the play store but it doesn't show up any wifi apps made by the f-droid team...

do you have the autism?

>i searched for "f-droid wifi analyzer" on the play store

AFAIK the AP-AC Lite only supports 20/40/80mhz.

I know the AP-AC HD supports 20/40/80/160MHz BUT the 160mhz support hasn't received FCC approval and is disabled by firmware.

okay well i tried "fdroid wifi analyzer" without the "-" but still no results...

idk I can turn 160mhz on in the control panel fine maybe it just says it there and only does 80mhz

haven't really looked all I know is my signal went to fucking garbage so I left it at 40mhz

the "unifi" software is hosted on a separate computer from the access points so it is very possible that's the case that it is just listed there but not actually working on the devices.

Here ill spoon feed you

Fdroid is an Android app repository. It is completely unrelated to the Google play store.

f-droid.org/en/

That's 99% what's happening, same thing happens with the AC-AP HD when you try to manually force VHT160, it just defaults to 80mhz or 40mhz, whichever it was previously using.

That's what I did 20 years ago. Not a problem. I don't stare at my baseboards. Works fine.

Fuck that, I pay for 1 gig, I get 1 gig, If I use any kind of house wiring I want to keep my 1 gig. I'll do the Cat6 route.

f-droid.org/packages/com.vrem.wifianalyzer/

I use an ad blocker mate, the Play Store one is fine.

Yes I forgot one of mine was this one I switched my ac lite with my one at the company building. This one is the $300 one. That's the hd? I think or the pro

I've seen 940mbps from Bonded MoCA 2.0 over a 10 foot length of coaxial. But that was with no splitters or other connections, just a straight 10 foot length and a bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter at each end.

In real house-wide deployment your speeds will be lower depending on the quality of the coaxial wiring and the splitters being used.

Overall losing ~100mbps isn't that bad compared to powerline which can lose 80-90% throughput under the same scenario. Only benefit to powerline adapters are they use your electrical wiring instead of coaxial wiring, and electrical wires tend to be a lot more prevalentin a given room.

And here's my lite. We switched it cuz the $80 lite had better signal than the $300 pro so I put the pro in my house lol

thx Sup Forums for rotating my image
I phone posted those 2 pics felt like cancer
yea my phone reported 80mhz off the signal so

amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B00D80J2XU/

I think it's old as fuck and not sold anymore

That's the UAP-AC v2, previous generation enterprise access point.

The AC-AP HD and Pro are the generation directly after but are similar in scope