Cpus

simple question ive a i5 2500k hasnt been overclockef and games still run fine would it be worth going for coffee lake or waiting for the new socket type (if and when theres one)
not a fan of AMD cpus since they could go to pots next year and by the looks coffee lakes cheaper

Yes goy, go for coffee lake, don't forget to keep your windows updated so you get that free -30%.

Overclock first then see if you even need more performance. Also please don't buy processors just because you like/dislike a brand. Right now coffe lake is better but we'll see what the ryzen refresh brings to the table. Also the next iteration of intel cpus will probably just feature a 8 core mainstream chip still on 14nm, so yeah. And they are coming out in 9 to 12 months. So decide for yourself if you want (and need) that performance. Also be aware that if you decide to wait a year you could also wait for zen 2 based chips that are releasing in 2019. They'll be 7nm chips and have an improved architecture as well, so could be interesting if you can wait that long anyway.

If your graphics card is on 1060/480 level or lower you don't need to buy a new processor for gaming.

get a used 2600k or 3770k or something for a cheap but decent upgrade

yeah idc desu doesnt AMD have the same problem?

thanks i can probably hold out for another 2 years desu cpu seems fine itll only bottleneck my gpu if i upgrade that bt i doubt i will the only reason i dont want an AMD cpu is that i dont know enought about them id rather watch them for an extra year or two

I don't know what prices you are looking at but i don't think neither of this processors can be bought "cheap".

>he doesn't OC
>he doesn't buy price:performance
>he prefers a company which lost anti trust lawsuits over one that's constantly creating new technology everyone ends up using
>he thinks the new CPUs which are ~10% better justify the ridiculous prices that RAM, MOBO n CPUs currently are
gee, i wonder which shill made this shitpost...

yeah its not its an r9 290
i may consider those two suppose atleast no mobo upgrade in that case

30% off? I'll take four!

If you don't need more performance, waiting is probably better - GPUs have been overpriced for a while and, more importantly, RAM is hilariously overpriced.
Also, this is a bad time to buy Intel - their platform is just a mess right now. If you must have Intel, better to wait for Icelake.

>yeah idc desu doesnt AMD have the same problem?

No

>yeah its not its an r9 290
I have the same card, running it on a xeon x5650 and r5 1600 (i have two PCs, one were i study and one at my parents house but only one graphica card ^^)

why OC when not needed?
at the time of purchase it was good
i prefer a company over a company thats been obsolete for 6 years yes

and no i dont think its justified hench the wait for a new chip set besides the fact my cpus 6 gens older its not 10%

>why OC when not needed?
Why ignore free performance?

Why buy 2500K when you can buy Celeron or Pentium? When the performance is not needed, why do anything?

Electricity bills aren't free.

>the only reason i dont want an AMD cpu is that i dont know enought about them id rather watch them for an extra year or two

What don't you know about them? AMD made cpu for decades, only competitor of intel that is still alive (except via...), they were most of the times as good as intel, then they had a big failure we know as Bulldozer in 2012 and in 2017 zen was released, with a massive improvement in performance. Zen delivers good ipc, unfortunately it still has 3 major problems: The ipc are still 10-15 percent lower than intels current gen ipc. The used process (LPP) was originally used for smartphone processors(apples a9 if i remember correctly) so it's not capable of reaching ultra high clockspeeds (basicly caps at 4Ghz). Last but not least the architecture is still new a rather poorly optimized, so especially in games we'll see lower performance than we would expect of a cpu with these clockspeeds and ipc.

But it's all a matter of time: The refresh will improve clockspeeds a bit and it will also optimize the architecture a bit (example l2 cache latency improvements we saw already in raven Ridge). The really big thing we are waiting for is zen 2. Not only is it an architecture upgrade, so we expect some ipc games and a lot of optimizations, but we switch to 7nm which should allow clockspeeds of 5+Ghz with reasonable power draw. One last Info about amd: They keep their sockets a lot longer than intel, am4 should be supported until 2020.

Also, Intel has some (really big) problems with their 10nm process so we don't know yet what they will release after they released their 8 core mainstream processor on 14nm. So i can't tell you how long we'll have to wait until intel has some impressive improvements.

He runs a r9 290. He doesn't care about the power bill.

The average power consumption increase on any reasonably modern CPU due to OC is going to be fucking tiny. In home use cases your CPU is almost always in low load or nearly idle, in which case it will not operate at OC clocks or OC voltage if properly configured, as such it won't really increase power consumption at all in these situations. It'll only be increased under load and even then with a 2500k you might get something like 50W extra under stress test load, unless you go absolutely crazy with it. Real load won't even be that high, so the average power consumption increase is going to be completely and utterly negligible.

100w vs 150w 10 hours a day everyday @ full power is only $1.50 difference per month

If the average is only 4 hours per day on full load, then its $0.50 per month

Literally chum change

on ebay you can get a 2600k for $70-100, a 2700k for $100-140, or a 3770k for $140-200, and since op won't need a motherboard or memory upgrade this is a significantly cheaper cost than buying a modern equivalent chip with hyperthreading or even a 6c6t coffee lake i5

wouldnt my cpu die quicker?
ill just keep a look on it thanks i know AMD has been good i prefer their GPU's

>wouldnt my cpu die quicker?
Not at any appreciable rate as long as you keep the OC and especially voltage to sane levels and cool it decently so it doesn't spend all its time at >80C. Also it's not like your theoretical CPU lifetime matters when you are so scared of OC you never do it and then replace the CPU which was never OC'd.

thats true i will oc till its death then upgrade when its needed to be oced

The only damage from overclocking comes from messing with the voltage. I've never heard of a chip being fried from upping the frequency.

Plus, NEVER buy something based on its ability to overclock. That's just dumb. Buy it on wether its stock performance will be sufficient for you.

As said, more or less: No

Higher Frequency does not damage your cpu, higher voltage (in a normal range) shouldn't damage it either. Only thing really hurting is the temperature. And as long as you run it at a reasonable voltage and most importantly cool you're very unlikely to damage your cpu.

If you OC sensibly it'll be long obsolete before it dies. 2500K is also soldered, so you should be able to cool it with much fewer headaches compared to all their later thermal jizz CPUs.

>Plus, NEVER buy something based on its ability to overclock. That's just dumb. Buy it on wether its stock performance will be sufficient for you.

Complete Bullshit right here. Example: Xeon X5650, runs at 2,66 Ghz base, 2,9 Ghz Boost. Can be overclocked with a midrange cooler to 4Ghz, with a good cooler and a good chip to 4,5+ Ghz. Price: 35$, at 4Ghz basicly a r5 1600 with better gaming performance. Buying a other budget chip over this just because you need to overclock it would be completly retarded (as long as you are capable of overclocking a chip which you should be since you're on Sup Forums and it basicly just require you to follow a few steps in a guide).

These anons are correct. Frequency affects the stability of the system if the square wave of the clock isn't defined enough to be read as such (which is why voltage increases are necessary).

TL;DR tiny increment frequency when near threshold, bench, no bluescreen = keep going, bluescreen = clock isn't stable anymore

>t. Computer engineer

i'm running a processor from 2009 overclocked +20%, zero problems. keep temperatures under control and only raise voltages by small increments if necessary and you'll be fine.

Is it worth getting a Z77 to replace my H61 to overclock my 2nd hand i5-3570k I got a while back?

Overclock your shit, dumbass.

Intel is faster even with the "30%" penalty
There is no reason to ever buy from AMD

I don't understand.

You say games still run fine (without giving examples of other things you do with your computer so we must assume games are the most important thing) and yet you want to buy a new processor because ?

That graph is terrible

thats the joke

OC it bro, get a decent aircooler, and bump it up to 4.0-4.4Ghz. ONLY if you need the extra performance though. We 2500k users are truly blessed. I have been looking at upgrading for years now but its not worth it. Keep your eye out on the new ryzens coming though still. AMD aint as bad as you think.

I lol'd.

Enjoy your CPU bugs stupid. Have fun.

3570k is thermal jizzed, so it can't be OC'd as well as 2500K. It depends on how much you'd pay and if you get CPU bottlenecked in games you play. If you don't have a good cooler already, you'll have to pay for that too.