"I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term...

>"I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. You are being programmed"
Former Facebook executive Chamath Palihapitiya

youtube.com/watch?v=78oMjNCAayQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mumKpKOANHw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lick and suck my balls OP

Lordy, another rich mofo comes along and says something obvious, expecting praise. Dude, we already know this.

who cares? only retards use facecrook anyway

Unfortunately retards make up about 90% of the population.

Describes Sup Forums

and you cant fix stupid so i return to my original point; who cares?

not really
the drive-by reddit style shitposting which dont even stick around for a response is what he's talking about. those habits bleed over from people who use facecrook and twatter, but post here also. thats not a Sup Forums thing outside of trolling. as someone who doesnt use social media, its noticeable here, especially in the last 2-3 years

The thing is that people on Sup Forums don't take anything seriously. It's fucking pathetic how imporant redditors, and other social media users, think social media is. It makes me lose hope in humanity, people on Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter genuinely get upset over some text they read on a screen. These people appear to think that the world would suddenly go to shit if they couldn't yell at someone online for hours each day.

>the drive-by reddit style shitposting which dont even stick around for a response is what he's talking about.
What do you mean by this? It really varies by board in my opinion, /bant/ is like 90% shitposts while others like /trv/ is almost never shitposted. Then again I haven't been on Sup Forums for that long.

>it makes me lose hope in humanity, people on Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter genuinely get upset over some text they read on a screen.

like all human interaction, it can cause people to get upset. I would honestly be more worried about someone who doesn't have the capability to become upset (mad/sad/disturbed/whatever) by conversations online. That would seem like, no joke, a sign of low level autism.

this

short term dopamine driven feedback loops basically describes getting (You)s in response to bait
this

>What do you mean by this?
i dont really know if i can articulate what im trying to say more clearly, but i'll try

just the style of posting i guess. its not a board specific thing either. you'll just see these huge threads filled with a bunch of responses only to OP or declarative statements responding to no one at all. you can tell the posts aren't really driven from a place of wanting to have a discussion or even troll (some are obviously). often you'll respond and they're already gone. even if its a few mins after the post. its almost as if they're self-serving posts. blog posting if you will. those style posts are a lot more prevalent in the last few years and as someone who doesnt have facetweet, its noticeable. so when i see a former facebook executive talking about dopamine-driven feedback loops or facebook studies of how it activates reward centers of the brain, you can really see it. especially if you're not a part of 'it'; whatever 'it' is.

yes but that only matters if you wait around for the (You)s. the posts im talking about dont do that. considering its nearly half of the posts on Sup Forums now i certainly cant be the only one who notices.

tl;dr im rambling, who knows

>we
way to offload your guilt asshole

>shit & get out™

Well he'd fucking know since he was doing the programming

>the borg speaks

That actually makes perfect sense, I guess I never really noticed that but now that you put it that way I definitely see what you mean. It's even gotten worse on major social media sites in my opinion.

>if you took everyone with average intelligence and everyone with above average intelligence and added them together they wouldn't outnumber people with below average intelligence

I talk to average people every day and they're all retards.

Take all my upboats

We already know everything, so why did you post this comment? What a brainlet

>giving the average retard a highly-visible, global platform is ripping apart the social fabric of how society works

you don't say. Society functioned alot better when we weren't made aware of how stupid millions of our own countrymen were

You may be right but I do take the occasional post here seriously. I don't see the reasoning that just cause it's Chan it doesn't matter. It matters to me.

Fuck.

Common sense isn't common

youtu.be/mumKpKOANHw

Chamath edited

I'm talking about other posts. Like reddit will have shit like "bring back our girls" or a bunch of other outrage slop that hits the front page because of their upvote downvote system. People on Sup Forums rarely take things like that seriously outside of Sup Forums . I don't really know how to put it, it's like people take their online image extremely seriously on sites like Twitbook and Reddit, but here nobody cares about stuff like that. If something is seriously important it can stand on it's own rather than needing gold or thousands of likes to become relevant. I'm not saying nothing here should be taken seriously, just that people don't take themselves as seriously if that makes sense.

Why wasn't this a problem until the aftermath of the 2016 US elections? Really makes me think.

He didn't say that tho, also
>9 people with 1 IQ
>1 guy with 2 IQ
Here, 90% with less than avg. IQ

The internet is ruining children user. It must be stopped.

>How the fuck do I deal with this shit?
Very becoming of a children's counselor.

>ugly little alien faced brown manlet guy feels bad after making enough money to buy his faggy nuthugger suits for life
LOL

Has nothing to do with Facebook, the problem extends to every type of social media including Sup Forums.

You can see the subtle effects on this particularly on boards with clear distinctions between 'good' and 'bad' behavior, e.g political views on Sup Forums or taste in film on Sup Forums for example. Board behavior is dictated by approval of others.

What he is really talking about is how humans are moving from local interaction where for the most part you interact with far few number of people to interacting with hundreds/thousands of people. People think they can make a distinction but rarely look at the break down on their own time spent socializing in a 'virtual' environment vs local.

Interesting outlook. It makes sense. While humans are social animals, most social situations between people over the span of human history have been with a small group of individuals face to face, not with large crowds of people that you aren't even in possible physical contact with, so yeah, tat would change how we approach conversation.

Probably because you didn't have the sheer amount of bile, death threats and animosity until the 2016 election. There was always shitposting on social media, but never one half of the country literally willing and desiring to kill the other half.

IQ follows a gaussian distribution.

I'd say the children are ruining the internet. They must be stopped. Keep them all out.

Kids never lie they say

for each individual race there is a typical normal distribution; but for the amalgamation of all people it gets skewed heavily by the larger populous races. aka its skewed down hard.

Regression to the abysmal mean is the name of the game.

My wife was chatting with a co-worker a few weeks ago during lunch about music. This co-worker is a Taylor Swift fan and was planning on buying tickets to go to her concert. Fast forward a few weeks, they're having lunch again and my wife asked 'oh so did you get your concert tickets?' This woman started ranting and raving about how she can't believe what happened to Taylor. Moreover how she finds it disgusting that Taylor is a white supremacist now. Why? Old Sup Forums memes, circulated on Facebook. This woman is in her late 20s. That's just one example.

Yeah, its funny and my wife and I laughed, but at a certain point it wouldn't hurt for and to realize they're just the opposite side of the coin. Grown adults, so helplessly immersed in the problem that they're actually incapable of even properly processing what Chamath is saying. It's kinda sad when you think about it. I'm just glad I don't use any of that social media shit outside of small doses on Sup Forums and Youtube.

>My wife
Stopped reading right there

Reminder: (You)s are a part of the problem.

>Probably because you didn't have the sheer amount of bile, death threats and animosity until the 2016 election. There was always shitposting on social media, but never one half of the country literally willing and desiring to kill the other half.

bullshit. you(everyone) just weren't listening or taking it seriously, or believed there were any consequences for it for 10 years.

>Why wasn't this a problem until the aftermath of the 2016 US elections?

because up until then, everyone just had a good laugh at cringeworthy people and their antics without any consideration that they are people too, they have money too, they have a vote too, they have friends and jobs and opinions too. And shutting them out when they didn't measure up to the standards of certain people meant they had no idea what was going on in a large segment of the population. more likely they didn't care until the election didnt go their way.

retards will make their problems your problems

>retards will make their problems your problems

more correctly: retards problems more easily become your problems

>bullshit. you(everyone) just weren't listening or taking it seriously, or believed there were any consequences for it for 10 years.

You probably should more often stick your head outside of Sup Forums and other sites where shitposting has always been an everyday occurrence... I know normies and their narcissism is a pain to deal with, but Sup Forums and tumblr style behavior has become WAY more common behavior on the "cleaner" parts of the internet since campaigning began for the 2016 election.

No you didn't

Wonderful post, user. Made me go and actually watch that Chamath video.

>the education on america is so brainwashed has fuck that little kids find Sup Forums more believable
this fills my hopes and activates my almonds

You're right

Remember when Compuserve was a thing?
and W.E.L.L?
and Geocities?
and Myspace?

I remember when early internet destroyed social fabric of how society works.

MySpace never had 2 billion daily user.
I mean it could had an influence on behavior of it's users but as much as tamagotchi.
Facebook is a fuckin piece of shit universally acclaimed by its users.
Just look how hard it is to promote an event with it.

>Chamath Palihapitiya
You meant to write Aziz Ansari.

All this started to get serious with web3.0

>Compuserve
I do remember the fear of them taking over the planet and transforming the interactions of all human beings who used their products. The fear of Mom and Dad, on their 300 baud modems, spending days uploading pictures of my childhood on BBS's. So glad that's over